Table of Contents Hide
- Features of the Hair Disorder – Alopecia
- Causes of Alopecia
- Home Remedies For Alopecia
- Hair Treatments to Fight Against Alopecia
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Hold on. Alopecia has nothing to do with aloe vera. Also, it is not a natural herb useful for beautifying your skin or hair. On the contrary, Alopecia is a hair disorder in which hair loss occurs in the form of patches. We will see here the causes and home remedies for alopecia.
As it sounds, alopecia is a serious condition of hair. The person having hair loss in patches may lose confidence and may be worried about the poor hair condition. Hence, he or she needs to carry out certain steps for reducing the intensity of this hair disorder. We have described few tips for hair care to avoid and reduce alopecia, and also some essential hair packs.
Before we move ahead with the treatment segment, let us first understand what alopecia exactly is and what the main causes for this dreadful condition are and home remedies for alopecia.
Features of the Hair Disorder – Alopecia
- The main area in which alopecia occurs is the scalp. Initially, it targets the scalp and causes hair loss in patches.
- It is found in both men and women.
- It is an autoimmune disease. This is because the immune system hits the hair follicles.
- Sometimes, this condition is restored by normal hair growth without treatment within one year. However, in some patients, it results in permanent hair loss.
- There are several treatments available for reducing alopecia. Consulting a dermatologist is the first step. But the patient also needs to take substantial care of his or her to reduce it and avoid it in future.
Causes of Alopecia
In order to align the treatment procedure, let us first understand the main causes of this severe condition.
1. Medical Issues
Certain medical issues such as hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism lead to alopecia. Normally, people suffering from these two medical issues experience rapid hair loss.
2. Hormonal Changes
If a person is suffering from any hormonal imbalances or improper hormonal changes, then it might result in a condition of alopecia.
3. Consumption of Steroids
Generally, when a person recovers from a major illness, then the doctor prescribes certain steroids for him or her. Steroids may result in a negative impact on the body by resulting into alopecia. Hence, the person needs to check whether the steroids suit him or not beforehand.
4. Deficiency of Essential Nutrients
Diet is also one of the major reasons for severe hair loss or hair disorders such as alopecia. If your diet does not consist of vitamins, iron, proteins and calcium, then your hair and skin may deteriorate. A person must evaluate his or her diet regime carefully and determine which nutrients are consumed and which are not consumed.
5. Stress and Anxiety
Do you think only diet and health issues lead to alopecia? We are missing out something important. Our mental condition is also equally responsible for our skin and hair condition. Just as our thoughts determine our future path, they also define our health, hair and skin. Stress has become unavoidable in these days when we constantly have to tackle with strict deadlines, traffic jams and irritating bosses. Similarly, anxiety, depression, mood swings, loneliness are also other factors that result in the condition of alopecia.
6. Hair Treatments
Sometimes, colouring and hair treatments might also result in alopecia. Though coloured hair looks appealing, it has damaging effects on the hair in the long run. Hence, one should think carefully before colouring or be rebonding or straighten the hair.
Prior to implementing a suitable treatment plan, one should identify the right reasons for this condition. It may happen that one or more of the above causes might result in alopecia.
Home Remedies For Alopecia
1. Nutritious, Balanced Diet
Do hormonal changes take place automatically without the influence of diet and exercise? You have hit the target. A diet and fitness regime influences hormonal changes and overall health of a person. If one consumes a balanced and highly nutritious diet, then it provides sufficient nourishment and vitality to the hair. Moreover, it also regulates hormones. Following are certain home remedies for alopecia that will help in reducing alopecia.
- Potato peels – Surprisingly, potato skin is rich in nutrients and we tend to discard them unknowingly.
- Cucumbers – These are fortified with silica and are responsible for boosting the immune system.
- Fruits – All fruits are good for health, particularly pomegranates, berries
- Green tea – Cut off black tea and coffee from your current list of beverages. Drink lots of green tea, even though it tastes awful.
- Turmeric – Minimal quantities of turmeric is essential for maintaining overall health.
- Coconuts – Since ages, coconuts have been used for applying on scalp and hair. It is one of the best foods for hair growth and for reducing fall. Apart from the usual coconut oil, incorporate coconut cream, coconut milk into your diet and application on hair. Also, replace your current cooking oil with coconut oil.
- Cinnamon – Use it for adding taste and flavour to your dishes.
- Garlic – It should also be consumed by people suffering from alopecia.
- Mushrooms – Fortified with essential nutrients, mushrooms can be used in several dishes.
- Holy basil (Tulsi) leaves – These have been consumed since centuries for boosting the immune system.
- Apart from these foods, a person having alopecia must increase intake of foods that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C content, zinc and other minerals, etc.
2. Stress Management
As we mentioned earlier that stress is also a cause for alopecia. Make it a habit of doing yoga, meditation or pranayama on a daily basis. As stress burdens the immune system, effective management of stress can reduce the burden. Relax whenever you are free.
3. Be Natural
Do not forget this mantra while taking care of skin and care. Artificial products cause damage to your hair. Do not undergo hair treatments, blow dry or colouring when you have alopecia. Use natural ingredients for treating the condition.
Apart from these home remedies for alopecia, we will see here some treatments for this dreadful condition.
Hair Treatments to Fight Against Alopecia
- One of the best oils for boosting hair growth is the castor oil. It is not commonly used in hair treatments at home. But it is loaded with capabilities to treat alopecia.
- Coconut milk is a hydrating agent for hair. It nourishes, soothes and accelerates hair growth. Mix 2 teaspoons of castor oil into a bowl of coconut milk. Add few dashes of olive oil into the mixture. Massage the scalp with this solution and keep it overnight.
- Next day, wash off the oil with an herbal shampoo of your choice. Your hair may become excessive oily due to this mixture. Hence, wash carefully to remove oil. Repeat this process twice a week to notice the difference.
- Onions are best to get rid of bald patches on the scalp. Grind an onion and mix it with aloe vera juice. Add coconut milk into it to form a thick paste. Apply this pack on the affected areas for at least one hour. Wash it off with a good shampoo and a conditioner. Repeat this process twice a week. You will have to be patient to get rid of those bald patches as it takes considerable time.
Thus, alopecia is a severe condition and hence, sufficient care needs to be taken for treating it. Use home remedies for alopecia to apply it on the scalp and hair. It is recommended to be far away from the artificial and chemically-loaded products and treatments. A balanced diet will always come to the rescue in treating alopecia and regaining beauty of your hair.