Have you ever used Manuka Honey? It is special type of honey that is cultivated in New Zealand. Manuka honey has several beauty benefits. Healthier and glowing skin depends much upon what you eat. Consuming Manuka Honey is a better option to achieve healthier and glowing skin. Let’s take a look at amazing benefits of manuka honey for skin and gain its advantages.
What is Manuka Honey?
- Manuka honey is one of the varieties of honey where the bees collect the honey/nectar from a plant named Manuka plant (Leptospermum scoparium). This bushy plant is found in New Zealand which grows naturally.
- The manuka honey gets exported to other countries from New Zealand. It is very rare to get this honey as the blooming season of this bushy shrub is very short and it is a monofloral honey.
- This premium type of honey has a typical sweet taste along with slight bitterness. You can have it directly like other honey or can be added to the recipes too.
- You can also apply it directly over skin as the outrageous therapeutic properties of manuka honey aid in healing and curing infections, deals with burns, minor cut and scrapes. It has been used in medical practice for many years. The healing compounds present in this honey make it popular healing element.
Unique Manuka Factor (UMF)
Manuka honey helps in restoring the health by curing infections. This is due to the presence of certain compounds in it, namely MG Methylglyoxal, rarely found in other types of honey, and hydrogen peroxide. These are known for its antiseptic properties.
Unique Manuka Factor is the rating to measure the amount of MG and certain compounds which in turn measures the antibacterial power of manuka honey. Usually, manuka honey has good UMF rating. This rating ranges from 5 to 20. Specialist goes for the rating of 12 and higher for better results.
- UMF 5-9 : Low activity levels of antibacterial power
- UMF 10-15 : Moderate activity levels of antibacterial power
- UMF 16+ : High activity levels of antibacterial power
To reap the medical and healing effects of this honey, it is better to buy UMF 10+. Also see to the honey, whether it is raw and unpasteurized as the process of pasteurization destroys the beneficial nutrients and its associated enzymes.
MGO and K-Factor
MGO is the other rating which measures only the levels of Methylglyoxal. The MGO rating must be at least 250.
K factor has been authorized by the New Zealand government in the Wedderspoon brand. K factor should be at least 16. Higher the rating, higher the quality of honey.
Nutrition in Manuka Honey
Manuka honey contains high levels of amino acids, vitamin B, and minerals such as calcium, potassium, copper, sodium, iron and zinc.
What to See Before Buying Manuka Honey?
- Always see to the labels.
- Read the label whether it contains pure manuka honey. When it is mixed with other honey their healing property lowers.
- Stick on to the brands like Manuka Health, Bee’s Inn, Wild Cape, Kiva, Comvita etc.,
- Manuka honey is costlier when compared with other honey.
- Look for the UMF rating of 10+ and above for better results.
- Buy raw honey than the pasteurized one.
Benefits Of Manuka Honey for Skin Infection
Manuka honey benefits your skin and cures many skin infections. Have a look into the manuka honey for skin and the associated benefits by scrolling down.
1. Cures Skin Infections
- Manuka honey helps in treating the inflammatory conditions.
- It cures the fungal skin infections like yeast or athlete’s foot.
- It also deals with other harmful skin infections namely staph or MRSA.
- This honey helps to heal psoriasis itching and eczema.
- The healing compounds in manuka honey reduce the inflammation.
- It soothes the irritated and itchy skin.
- Give a topical application of this honey for about 10 minutes over the affected area before warm bath shows off better results.
2. Aids In Acne Healing
- The anti-inflammatory properties of manuka honey heal acne.
- It draws out the bacteria causing acne by oxygenating the pores.
- This reduces the inflamed skin and redness over it thereby improving acne prone skin areas.
- It even blemishes acne scars and fades off.
- Just give a topical application of manuka honey over the acne region which kicks off acne.
3. Anti-aging Effect
- Manuka honey possesses anti-aging effect by inhibiting Matrix Metallo Proteins MMP, enzymes which destroy collagen.
- It clears off the wrinkles and gives you a wrinkle free skin.
- The anti-oxidant property wards off free radicals, damaging skin cells.
- This creates an anti-aging effect by removing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti aging manuka honey face mask slows down the process of aging by defending the wrinkles on your face.
- MG Methylglyoxal in manuka honey increases collagen cross-linking that promotes the growth of collagen which gives a firm and juvenile skin.
- Get benefited with manuka honey for face wrinkles and get a clear and young skin.
4. Skin Cleansing and Hydration
- Manuka honey is a natural humectant with emollient properties.
- So ithas the potential to hold in the moisture from the air.
- This moisture retention forms a glowing complexion and soothes skin.
- It is one of the greatest options for dry skin.
5. Repairs Skin
- Manuka honey repairs skin and aids in healing.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of this honey soothe skin rashes and reduce the inflammatory signs.
- Small cut wounds and burns can be treated by applying this honey over the affected region.
- It heals the burns quickly and soothes skin.
- It lowers the level of infection and eases redness.
- It rebalances the healthy bacteria on your skin.
- It gives a glow and radiance to your skin by promoting the skin regeneration and helps in repairing the cellular damage.
- Manuka honey for skin pigmentation fights with the spots and wards off.
- It blemishes the skin pigmentation and shows off you with a clear and spotless skin
6. Manuka Honey for Skin Lightening
- As the hydrogen peroxide content of manuka honey is higher, it has the potential to lighten skin.
- It gives you a brighter and lighter skin which makes it glow.
- Go for the manuka honey scrub to get a skin lightening treatment at home and get the lightning effects.
7. Balances Skin’s pH
- Our skins ph is slightly acidic.
- As the skin products are alkaline, it makes the skins ph out of balance.
- This makes the skin dry and itchy.
- Manuka honeys ph is acidic which balances skins ph.
- Use manuka honey as a facial cleanser to get a clear and moisture skin.
Manuka Honey Face Mask
Manuka honey for face gains its popularity by providing you with several benefits which shows off you with a healthy and glowing skin. Lets have a glance on the manuka honey face mask. Apply this face mask once or twice in a week for an added effect.
Method 1: Using One Ingredient (Manuka Honey)
- Wash your skin and cleanse it.
- Take a tablespoon of manuka honey of high quality.
- Now spread the honey on your face and neck by using your fingers.
- Let it be there for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- You can see an immediate result of glowy skin.
Method 2: Manuka Honey Combined With Other Ingredients for Dark Spots
- One spoon of lemon juice
- One spoon of manuka honey
- One teaspoon of organic cane sugar
- Take a bowl with a spoon of freshly squeezed lemon.
- Add a spoon of manuka honey and a teaspoon of organic cane sugar to it.
- Mix it to form a paste.
- Now steam your face so that your skin pores get opened up.
- Apply this paste and massage this mask all over the face and neck.
- Wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Repeat this procedure twice in a week to fade off your acne spots and get a brighter skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the other health benefits of manuka honey?
Manuka honey aids in digestion, improves the bowel movements, soothes a sore throat, prevents gastric ulcers and aids in promoting oral health.
2. Is there any side effects associated with manuka honey?
Some might be allergic to manuka honey, so apply it over a small area on your hand and see to the reactions. If you are not allergic then go with it.
3. What are the other beauty benefits of manuka honey?
It is a best hair conditioner which moistures your hair and even moistures lip to get rid of chapped lips.
4. Can we consume manuka honey?
Yes, you can have manuka honey daily as it is associated with several other health benefits. You can consume one to two tablespoons of manuka honey per day.
This article provides you with a good understanding of the beauty benefits of manuka honey along with the points to be noted before buying it. Manuka honey is the greatest option for persons with skin infections and digestive disorders. Get an amazing beauty by using manuka honey!