Scary ghosts, little pastry pumpkins, crispy crusted Pumpkin pies, scary cookies! Scary food is one of the best ideas this holiday season and what better way to represent the mood of the occasion than portray it through food. Spooky food creates just the right ambience of dread and death laid right on your dinner plate.
Spooky and frightening appetizers, red jelly for blood spiders crawling on your cupcakes, blood red cocktails! What a pleasant sight to welcome Fall! And bonus points for making the vampires, ghosts and spirits jealous of the yummy things you eat.
We bring for you some incredibly horrifying to the sight but absolutely sumptuous party and dinner items that you can serve to your guests and freak their taste buds out!
Recommended read: [Homemade Pancakes: Healthy and Easy Pancake Recipes]
1. Dead Woman’s Chopped Finger Sandwich
These are just the perfect appetizers to tingle the taste buds of your guests!
Thin slices of white bread, crust removed.
- Soft margarine
- Cream cheese or peanut Butter
- Strawberry jam
- Gently flatten the bread to help it soften it. This will help in moulding the bread in the desired shape.
- Spread Margarine and Cream cheese and Butter
- Shape the bread and roll it to give it the shape of a finger and make three indentation marks to show finger joints. This will add to the realistic feel of the sandwich.
- Trim the ends of the fingers and with the help of cream cheese stick an almond on the edge to show long lady-like nails!
- Now for the spooky effect- put some strawberry Jam on the edges of the finger to give the look of Blood!
Your Horror provoking fingers are ready to be munched on!
Don’t miss to read: [How to Make a Smoothie: 10 Healthy Smoothies for Breakfast]
2. Halloween Dead Man Meatloaf
Traditional meatloaf takes a Halloween twist!
- 2 pounds lean ground Beef
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 celery chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 pitted Black Olive cut into half
- Add melted butter in a skillet and toss in the onion, garlic and celery. Sauté until transparent. Transfer this mix in a bowl to cool.
- Preheat an oven at 350 degrees and line a baking tray with aluminium foil and spray cooking oil on it.
- The crack opens the eggs and beat until they blend in well with the vegetables. Add Cajun Seasoning and bread crumbs to the egg and vegetable mix. Mix well with your hands.
You will love to read: [5 Simple & Healthy Snacks for Kids]
- Transfer the mix onto the foil lined tray and give it the shape of a dead man.
- Put the tray into the oven and keep an eye on the beef, until the beef in the centre is no longer pink.
- Insert a food thermometer and it should instantly read a good 160 degrees right in the centre of the man.
- Place the olives as the eyes of the dead man and pour ketchup on the dead man’s abdomen.
- Serve with a plastic knife impaled in the Dead man’s stomach for a scary and deadly effect.
Your Deadman right out of the oven! Freshly baked for Halloween is ready!
3. Jack O Lantern Bread
This bread captures the true spirit of the Halloween season! And it looks “Fantastic”! try an orange colored bread with black eyes instead of the usual orange or yellow one.
- 1 cup warm Milk
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
A must read article: [6 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Ideas For Refreshed Mornings]
- Pour and stir egg yolk, warm milk and yeast and begin to beat. Wait till it foams. Add remaining ingredients
- When the dough is ready to color and shape your bread.
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Place into a well-greased bread loaf tin and bake until the crust is brown and it sounds hollow to tap.
Read Continue for More Sumptuously Spooky Food for A Hassle-Free Halloween!