Slipping back into the time, primordially our ancestors used Lavender and its derivatives for varied purposes. The calming and soothing scent of lavender called for its major use as a perfume. History states that ancient Egyptians even used it during the process of mummification. However, these days with the enormous progress in scientific studies and tools of extraction, Lavender oil now sees its use for many cosmetic as well as therapeutic purposes. It is obtained as a distillate from certain flower species of lavender. It is light, colorless and insoluble in water. One such booming use in the cosmetic industry today is lavender oil for hair care. Let’s get a little insight on the other benefits of Lavender oil before proceeding to its use as an essential oil for hair care.
Overall Benefits of Lavender Oil
- Relieves nervous tension, stress, and anxiety
- Enhances Mood
- Effective for headaches and migraines
- Acts as an antidepressant
- Potential treatment for patients suffering from dementia
- Works as an analgesic – pain reliever
- Improves blood circulation
- Regulates heartbeat
- Aids in treatment of respiratory problems
- Provides relief from insomnia
- Induces sleep
- Aids in digestion
- Stimulates urine flow
- Acts as a disinfectant on skin
- Lessens acne and scars
- Improves skin complexion
- Slows down aging process
- Promotes healing of burns and wounds
Uses of Lavender Oil
In early times, Lavender oil was used as a solvent in oil paintings before the use of turpentine came into existence. For the distinctive fragrance, it is wildly used as higher notes in the production of perfumes and it is a major ingredient in lotions, soaps, and gels too. Let’s have a look at some other important uses of Lavender oil –
- Due to the prominent relaxing effect on body and mind, it is directly used in combination while performing massage and aromatherapies. One such excellent example of this is an age-old Ayurvedic technique of Shirodhara – use of lavender oil as one of its components shows to have anxiolytic effect.Additionally, it acts as a superb immunity booster.
- It treats disorders like Eczema, dermatitis, sunburns, minor cuts, and wounds. A drop of lavender oil placed on the tip of the tongue works to curb the motion sickness. Also, it is an effective mosquito and insect repellent.
- The inclusion of minute quantities of oil to the food recipes magnifies their flavor.
Benefits of Use of Lavender Oil for Hair
Well, the benefits are many! Due to antimicrobial, antioxidant, and antifungal components of lavender oil, it effectively acts on louse by killing them and preventing the outburst of their eggs. Hence, it prevents itchy scalp and eliminates dandruff. Here are some of the important benefits of Lavender oil –
- Using lavender oil maintains the moisture of the scalp and balances the production of natural scalp oils. Furthermore, it helps in healing of minor scalp bruises, reduces inflammation, and helps treat scalp acne.
- Lavender and tea tree oil applied together is effective in reducing mild idiopathic hirsutism.
- According to the studies, it is an effective solution to hair loss. It is used in the treatment of patients with alopecia – a condition caused due to genetic factors where body cells backfire against its self-hair sacs and hence causes baldness. Therefore, it is also used for the treatment of pattern baldness such as androgenetic alopecia in males and females.
- As lavender oil is light and penetrates deep in hair follicles it acts as a hair growth oil, enhancing the circulation to the follicles that promote hair growth and hair thickening.
Bearing in mind these extravagant benefits of lavender oil lets further focus on how to use the lavender oil for hair growth and its other benefits. Before direct application of the lavender oil, it is necessary to take certain precautions. Users are highly recommended to consider following precautions before initiating the application of lavender oil to hair.
- Allergic reactions: Check if you are allergic to the lavender oil by applying it to a small portion of your skin. If redness or rashes occur, discontinue the usage.
- For Children and pregnant women: Since it affects the production of hormones in the body do not use it for children below 6 years and if you are pregnant.
- Buying: Buy a high grade therapeutic, organic, pure oil to make sure it is free from adulterants and other additives.
- Storage: Store in a cool dry place with cap tightly closed away from the direct light.
- Usage: Lavender oil must be mixed with other carrier oils or essential oils before usage.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
Below enlisted are few methods for usage of lavender oil mixed and blended well with the other carrier and essential oils. Lavender oil when mixed with other oils in proper quantities is used to satisfy the different needs of hair like hair growth, hair regrowth, and shinier hair and for dry and frizzy hair maintenance.
Methods For Usage Of Lavender Oil
1.How To Use Lavender Oil For Hair Growth?
- 2-3 tbsp of Virgin olive or coconut oil
- 8- 10 drops of Pure Lavender oil
- Add the Lavender oil to warm coconut or olive oil and mix well
- Take the prepared oil on your hands and massage gently on the entire scalp with your fingers.
- Cover your hair with a steamed towel or a shower cap for added advantage before you go sleep.
- Wash in the morning with a gentle shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week..
2.How To Use Lavender Oil For Hair Regrowth?
- ½ tbsp lavender oil
- ½ tbsp rosemary oil
- 2 drops of thyme oil
- 2 drops of cedarwood oil
- 6 drops of grapeseed oil
- 4 drops of jojoba oil
- Add all the above mentioned essential oils along with the lavender oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Take a needed amount of the above-prepared oil on your palms and gently work on your entire scalp with your fingers .for 5-10mins every night before going to the bed.
- Cover your hair with the steamed towel or the shower cap for the oil to penetrate your pores overnight.
- Wash with the gentle shampoo in the morning.
- Repeat for up to 6 months for visibly good results.
3. How To Use Lavender Oil For Shinier Hair?
- 2tbsp of virgin coconut oil.
- 1tbsp of lavender oil
- Mix well the virgin coconut oil and lavender oil together in the above-mentioned quantities.
- Take a small quantity of oil in your hands and gently massage it on your scalp. Massage the hair from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Wrap the hair in steamed towel.
- Rinse next morning with the shampoo followed by the conditioning.
- Repeat the procedure twice a week for effective results.
4. How To Use Lavender Oil For Dry Hair And Frizz Control?
- 1-2 tbsp of Argan Oil
- 3- 5 drops of rosemary oil
- 3-5 drops of lavender oil
- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- Mix the above mentioned essential oils thoroughly.
- Take a small quantity of the prepared oil and gently massage on your dry scalp with your fingers. Massage the hair from the scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Leave for an hour wrapped in the steamed towel or shower cap.
- Wash later with a gentle shampoo followed by conditioning.
- Repeat every week
- As you need to leave it only for an hour you can follow this method as a morning routine.
Please Note The Following
- A thorough mixing of the lavender oil with all the other essential oils and carrier oils shall be done as the direct application of the essential oils or lavender oil can give a burning sensation
- Hair scalp may feel a little greasy after the application so wash your hair well before you set out
- Here the magic happens over the time, patience is the key, wait for it to happen. The effects of the above-mentioned methods radiantly blossom with time
I term this classic nectar, lavender oil a vintage since its applications and benefits have a long trace back into the history. It is actually a vintage in use until today for its said beneficiaries. And now that we are enlightened of its practical virtue in hair care and that it is easily available in the market today why not give it a try for a healthier and beautiful hair. Say bye to unhealthy, damaged, frizzy hair. Hello, to the hale and hearty hair!
This post was last modified on January 6, 2019 11:27 am