Table of Contents Hide
Essential oils for hair and their benefit
Essential oils, derived from the plant have the benefits and aroma of the plant. You need a few drops of an essential oil and carrier oil. Prepare a mixture by mix one or more types of oil in a shampoo or conditioner. Or mix into 2 ounces of a carrier oil. Direct application of essential oil on the scalp causes irritation.
Some of the benefits of essential oil are listed below
1. Lavender essential oil : Lavender oil application on the hair speeds up hair growth. It has properties that help the growth of cells and reduce stress.It’s antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, helps to improve scalp health.
Mix lavender oil with 3 tablespoons of carrier oil, (like olive oil or coconut oil), and apply it directly to your scalp. Leave it for 10 minutes and shampoo it. This procedure can be followed several times per week.
2. Peppermint essential oil : Its application causes a cold tingling feeling. It increases circulation to the area applied. This promotes hair growth. Mix 2 o 3 drops of peppermint oil with carrier oil. Massage this mixture into your scalp, and leave for 5 minutes, wash out thoroughly with shampoo and condition your hair.
3. Rosemary essential oil : Rosemary essential oil is used to improve both hair thickness and growth by improving the cellular generation of the hair. Mix some drops of rosemary oil with olive oil or coconut oil, and apply this mixture on your scalp. Leave for at least 10 minutes and wash off with shampoo. Repeat this process twice per week for best results.
4. Cedar wood oil : Cedar wood essential oil promotes hair growth and reduces hair loss by balancing the oil glands of the scalp. Its antifungal and antibacterial properties, treats dandruff and hair loss mixed with lavender and rosemary oil. Mix few drops of cedar wood oil with a carrier oil. Massage it and leave for 10 minutes before washing off.
5. Lemongrass oil: Lemongrass oil is effective in dandruff treatment and significantly results in reduced dandruff after a week. It can be more effective when used daily. Mix few drops of lemon grass oil into your shampoo or conditioner daily, and massage it into your scalp.
6. Thyme oil: Thyme promotes hair growth by stimulating the scalp and preventing hair loss. Thyme is strong essential oil. Mix this oil with small amount of carrier oil before applying on the scalp. Leave it for 10 minutes, and then wash off.
7. Clary sage oil: Clary sage is an essential oil containing linalyl acetate that helps to make it so effective in hair growth. It helps to improve hair strength. Mix 3 drops of clary sage oil with conditioner, or with carrier oil. If you are using this mixture daily, rinse off after 2 minutes and if you use it once or twice per week, leave for 10 minutes before washing.
8. Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil has cleansing, antibacterial, and antimicrobial that promotes and improves hair growth and treat dandruff.
Mix tea tree essential oil into shampoo or you can use it with conditioner. Mix some drops with carrier oil, leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it out.
9. Ylang-ylang oil : Ylang-ylang oil for dry scalps as it stimulates sebum production. Mix essential ylang-ylang oil with carrier oil and massage it; wrap with a warm towel. Leave for 30 minutes and wash off.