Simple Yet Very Effective Tips To Prevent Neck Pain!
Neck pain is one of the most common thing which everyone around might have experienced at least once in your lifetime. There could also have been any injury or event which might have resulted into neck pain. Hence you must know how to prevent neck pain.
Neck pain is mainly caused due to the stress in the soft tissues which is present in and around the neck or spine. Muscle strain or spasm might also be one of the reason which leads to neck pain. Sometimes improper sleeping disorders could also result in pain when u wake up early in the morning. This can be prevented by taking proper steps and precautions.
Neck pain is not a serious problem unless and until you experience it daily. It mostly occurs due to the various postures and if that can be corrected, then there is nothing much to worry about neck pain. Below are some of the tips which could help us to prevent neck pain to a great extent.
Tips To Prevent Neck Pain
1. Proper Sitting Gesture And Position
No matter where and how you are, the posture in which you are should be proper.
If you are sitting on a chair or standing on the floor, make sure your body gesture and position are in perfect manner. Adjusting your body posture can help you in reducing the neck pain over the time.
Ideally neck pain can be reduced to a great extent if your posture is right. This is very important, so the next time you feel any pain in your neck, adjust your posture first before taking any medicines.
2. Proper Chair Adjustment
This is a very crucial and important point which most of us miss in our day to day life. Most of the time we are sitting while relaxing or doing office work. Improper chair adjustment can lead to severe neck pain.
One should always make sure the chair is adjusted and is in proper manner before sitting. The chair height should be at a proper level so that the different parts of the body are in correct position. There should be a couple of inches distance between knee and chair. Adjust your chair to get the proper distance.
These are simple tips to be kept in mind to prevent neck pain. A little adjustment can make a big difference in your neck pain.
3. Relax Your Shoulders
Shoulders are directly linked to the neck and hence keeping our shoulders relaxed and in proper alignment can be helpful to prevent neck pain. Either you are reading, writing or working on the computer, if you feel strain on your shoulders, try relaxing it.
Pain in shoulders can cause immense pain in the neck.
Don’t miss to read some of the best Shoulder Stretches Exercises that will give you immediate relief!
4. Adjust Your Neck When Sleep
Improper gesture and position of sleeping is one of the major reasons for the neck pain now-a- days. You should make sure the position is correct.
Select the pillow which suits you as it helps in relaxing our neck. Our neck is much supported by the pillow as it is kept on it during the course of our sleep. Always try sleeping on your back in a straight manner. Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
5. Neck Exercise
Slowly turning your neck around can be a beneficial exercise to relieve neck pain. Working continuously for a long period of time can bring out a stretch in neck muscles.
To make the muscles relax, slowly turn up your neck from left to right and vice versa. Making it a habit could be very much beneficial. You can also bend your neck up and down.
6. Use Dedicated Reading Glasses
Sometimes in order to read or write if our eye sight is not proper we move very close or too far from the writing pad. This directly affects our neck as the position suitable for the neck muscles is not right.
Hence it is always advisable to use proper reading glasses so that the vision of eye is proper and you need not push extra efforts while reading or writing.
7. Take Breaks
Sitting on a place or working for a long time without having break is never recommended. It is always advisable to take break while you are working. Proper time interval break are needed for our body to relax and again adopt the situation to perform the task.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Neck Pain
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is one of the best home remedies for any pain including the neck pain. It helps to release muscle spasm and eases the muscles around the neck thereby preventing the pain.
- Dilute 2 tablespoon of Epsom salt in water and soak your neck in this solution.
- Keep it soaked for 20 minutes and then rinse with normal water.
- Add 2 spoonful of Epsom salt to warm water.
- Soak a towel in this solution and squeeze the excess water from it.
- Place this towel around your neck till it cools down.
- Repeat this process several times till you get relief from neck pain.
Neck exercises are very important if you are suffering from neck pain. The exercises help to ease tension in the muscles and thereby help you to get relief from pain.
Neck exercises can be performed anywhere even during work. Rotate your neck clockwise and anti-clockwise 5 times daily for effectiveness.
You can also bend your neck up and down for relief. Remember; do not be too aggressive while performing the exercises as it may further strain your neck. Slowly perform the exercises at regular interval and within a day or two your pain will reduce to a great extent.
3. Mustard Oil
Massage is very important for neck pain, especially oil massage. Mustard oil helps to relieve the pain and also relaxes the muscles.
- Warm mustard oil in a container.
- Apply the warm oil on the backside of the neck.
- Gently massage the area along with the front portion of the neck and shoulders.
- Massage for at least 10-15 minutes till the area feels warm.
This method provides instant relief from neck pain.
4. Milk and Turmeric
This method is useful for all kinds of pain including neck pain. It needs to be consumed orally and does not require external application.
- Boil milk in a container.
- Pour the hot milk in a glass and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Drink the hot milk slowly once in a day.
As a caution, it is advisable to consume only 1 glass of milk and turmeric every day. It is thermogenic in nature and can generate excessive heat in the body. This may result in stomach related issues.
5. Ice Therapy
Ice therapy is also useful to prevent neck pain. It is an instant relief method and acts wonders on neck pain.
- Take some ice cubes in polythene and place it on the painful areas of the neck.
- Keep it for some time till you are able to bear the cold.
- Again continue with the same process several times.
- It will provide automatic relief for pain.
You can also alternate cold and hot compress to get relief from neck pain.
6. Ginger Tea
Ginger has pain relieving properties and is useful to prevent neck pain. Its anti-inflammatory nature helps to ease the muscle and provide relief.
- Take a slice of ginger.
- Clean it thoroughly and crush it.
- Add the crushed ginger to a container of hot boiling water.
- Let it boil for few more minutes and then allow it to steep for some more time.
- Strain the solution and add a spoon of honey to it.
- Drink this solution several times in a day for relief.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been found very useful in neck pain. It can be both consumed and applied as well for quicker relief.
- Take a glass of warm water and add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Drink this solution several times in a day to get relief from neck pain.
- Add 2 spoonful of Apple cider vinegar to your bathing tub.
- Soak your neck in this solution for at least 15-20 minutes.
- You can also soak a towel in this solution and place it around your neck for relief.
Do/Don’t For Neck Pain
- Lie down straight on the bed in a comfortable position.
- It is always important to adjust your body in a relaxing position so that neck pain does not occur.
- Get adequate rest while suffering from neck pain.
- Exercise gently but regularly to avoid pain.
- Do not drink or smoke as it may worsen the situation.
- Selecting the right kind of neck pillow is equally important.
- Do not stress yourself while suffering from neck pain.
Neck pain Is not a serious issue till you neglect it. In worse situation, it may lead to surgery as well. Therefore, it is important to pay immediate attention to prevent neck pain and cure it with our simple home remedies.
However, if the pain still persists it is important to consult a doctor and take medicines as prescribed. There are other ways like traction, acupressure etc. by which the same can be healed however it requires some form of medical advice.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.