Multipurpose Usage Of Bay Leaves For Health Benefits!
Bay Leaves are known by different names in different parts of our country. Most commonly known as Tej Patta in Hindi and is quite famous as an important ingredient used in our kitchen on a daily basis. In this article, we will know some amazing bay leaf benefits.
It is an aromatic leaf found from the bay laurel tree which is an evergreen tree. It is most widely used in cooking and also for making perfumes. The structures of Indian bay leaf are usually elliptical, pointed and touch in nature. These leaves are quite bitter in taste and flavor. Indian household uses the bay leaves in either dry, fresh or in powdered form. It is very beneficial as the oil which is extracted from the leaves is used for the treatment of several ailments. The oil is called as bay leaf oil.
Since the tastes of these leaves are quite bitter, it cannot be consumed or eaten directly. It is mixed with food to impart taste and flavor to the dishes. Apart from making our daily food tasty, bay leaves are known for their medicinal properties also as they are used in treatment of anti-bacterial, anti-fungal types of diseases.
Some of the major Bay Leaf Benefits for health are mentioned as below:
Bay Leaf Benefits For Health!
1. Diabetes Treatment
Type-2 diabetes can be cured with bay leaves as these leaves causes reduction in blood glucose and also cholesterol level. Therefore, it is very beneficial for people suffering from diabetes.
How Should Diabetes Patient Consume Bay Leaves?
- Take the dried bay leaves which are easily available in the market or you can dry the fresh leaves in the sun as well.
- Once the leaves are completely dry, crush the leaves properly with your hands or you can use a mixer for the same.
- During the morning time, in empty stomach take a spoon of this bay leaf powder followed by a glass of warm water.
This helps to reduce the sugar level in diabetes patient and they can live a healthy life.
2. Proper Digestion
Bay leaves are considered as one of the important and efficient medicine when it comes to digestive tract related disorders. It can treat digestion related disorders such as heart burn, acidity and constipation.
How To Consume Bay Leaves To Aid In Digestion?
- Take about 5 grams of bay leaves and mix it with 200gm of water.
- Add crushed ginger to the mix and allow the mix to boil till 25 percent of water remains in it.
- Leave it for some more time to steep.
- Strain the liquid and honey to it for taste.
- Consume it 2 times daily to improve digestion.
This is a natural and easy method to facilitate proper digestion in the body.
3. Cardiovascular Benefits
The powerful phytonutrients present in the bay leaves are important in protection against heart attack and strokes. These days’ lots of people suffer from heart disease due to unhealthy food habits and improper lifestyle.
However bay leaves can be very useful for cardiovascular diseases and the same can be healed in a natural process.
How To Consume Bay Leaves To Prevent Heart Diseases?
- Take approx 3gms of bay leaves and boil it with the equal amount of rose flower in 300 ml of water.
- The mixture should be boiled till 1/4th of the water remains.
- Strain the liquid and consume it once regularly.
Over a period of time, this will help to cure heart-related diseases. Although, you may witness the effect gradually however it will be helpful in the long run.
4. Cold And Infection Treatment
Bay leaves are also good in the treatment of cold and infectious diseases. They are very effective to reduce cold and cough.
- Boil 3 to 4 bay in water for 10 minutes.
- Now dip a cloth into the mixture and squeeze out the excess water from it.
- Keep the towel over the chest in case of cold and flu till the towel comes down to room temperature.
- Repeat the process several times in a day to get relief.
- Prepare bay leaf tea and sip on it throughout the day.
- You can boil bay leaves in water for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add 2-3 drops of honey to it.
- Drink the hot tea several times in a day to get relief from cold and flu.
5. Bay Leaf Benefits For Kidney Stones
Bay leaves are very useful for kidney stones as well. They help to melt the stones rapidly. It acts as a diuretic and helps to resolve most of the kidney ailments.
- Add 3-4 bay leaves to hot boiling water.
- Cover the container with a lid and allow the mix to simmer till the water level is reduced to one-fourth.
- Strain the liquid and drink this solution several times in a day.
- Continue with this method for weeks together till the stones melt completely.
You can check with a doctor regarding the size of the stones on a regular basis. If it is reducing then carry on this process until completely dissolved. It also prevents the occurrence of stones in the body.
6. Nose Bleeds
Nose bleeds is a common problem which most people experience in extreme climatic condition. Scorching heat and chilling weather often result in bleeding from the nose. Bay leaves can prevent this to a great extent.
All you need is to sip on the bay leaf tea by adding few drops of honey to it. You can also add sugar to the tea and consume the same on a regular basis. It will eventually stop and provide you relief.
7. Fights Cancer
Bay leaves are known to fight cancer especially cervical cancer. They contain natural elements in them which help to prevent and fight against this life threatening disease.
All you need is to drink bay leaf tea or consume it in powdered form followed by warm water. You can also add the bay leaves to your regular food and intake the same on a daily basis to prevent any form of cancer.
Apart from the several bay leaf benefits for health that it offer to us, it also has some cosmetic properties which are beneficial for the skin and hair.
8. Whitening Teeth
Bay leaf powder is a natural tooth powder as well. Every day morning brush your teeth with bay leaves powder and see the difference. You can also sprinkle some powder on your regular toothpaste or mix it with your tooth powder and brush your teeth with the same. Within a week’s time you will get white and shiny teeth. It also helps to remove plaque and the yellowish layer sitting on the teeth.
Bay Leaf Benefits For The Skin
1. Prevents Skin Infection
Bay leaves are very useful for any form of skin infection especially the insect bites. It is anti-inflammatory in nature and helps to reduce the bites and swelling on the affected areas.
Mix a tablespoon of bay leaf powder in water and apply it on the affected areas 2-3 times in a day. The swelling and burning sensation will reduce to a great extent.
2. De-Stress The Skin
Bay leaves are a great stress buster for the tired skin. You can just add some bay leaves to water and bring it boiling point. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam. It will relieve you of all the stress.
Bay Leaf Benefits For The Hair
1. Healthy And Dandruff Free Hair
Ingredients present in bay leaf are good for hair and scalp. They help in removing dandruff effectively and promote healthy and strong hair.
- Boil 5-6 bay leaves in water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Leave it for some more time to steep and wait till it comes down to room temperature.
- Strain the liquid and keep it aside.
- After applying shampoo, just use this bay leaves solution as a last rinse on your hair.
- It will help to get rid of dandruff and you get shiny and lustrous locks.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times in a week whenever you are shampooing your hair.
It is a natural tonic to keep dandruff at bay.
2. Prevents Lice In Hair
Head lice are a common problem and cause irritation and itching of the scalp. Bay leaves are useful to treat head lice effectively.
- Soak 8-10 bay leaves in water for the whole night.
- Next morning, boil the water along with the leaves till the water level comes down to 25%.
- Cool the mix and soak a cotton ball in this mix.
- Apply the solution on the hair and the scalp and wait for 3-4 hours.
- Finally, rinse your hair thoroughly using a mild shampoo and use a comb to remove the dead lice present in the hair.
- Repeating this process three times in a week for 2 weeks will help to get rid of lice problem.
It can be rightly said that bay leaves are a magical herb and it has so many health benefits. The nutritional benefits present in these leaves are also tremendously high. Therefore, it is ideal to include them in your diet and consume it as a tea to get rid of several health ailments.
Bay leaves can resolve most of your health issues; however, you need to stick with it for a certain period of time for the effects to be visible.
Hope this article on bay leaf benefits might be useful for your day-to-day life. Your suggestion and feedback will be highly appreciated and please post the same in our comments section.