Nosebleeds or bleeding nose is a common problem and most of us would have definitely undergone this problem at least once in our life. Nose bleeding is not a serious problem. The blood vessels in the nose are very sensitive and they react if disturbed slightly. This results in bleeding nose. You can find here effective home remedies to stop nose bleeds.
There can be several reasons behind bleeding nose, the most common ones include: continuous digging of the nose, any form of nose injury, allergies, hot and dry air, high altitudes etc.
Nosebleeds are a mild problem and can be easily tackled at home with simple home remedies for nosebleeds.
Home Remedies for Nosebleeds
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very helpful for nosebleeds. It repairs the ruptured blood vessels and controls the blood flowing from the nose. Apple Cider Vinegar can be applied as well as consumed to stop bleeding nose.
- Soak a cotton ball in Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Place the cotton ball inside the nostrils for few minutes.
This method will not only stop nose bleeds but also help to heal the damaged blood vessel walls quickly.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution at least 2 times in a day for relief from nosebleeds.
Onion is excellent to stop bleeding of the nose. It clogs the broken blood vessel walls and helps to seal them immediately.
- Chop one onion finely.
- Place some of the finely chopped onions inside the nostrils.
- Inhale the fumes slowly to stop the bleeding.
- Grate 1 full onion and extract the fresh onion juice from it.
- Soak a cotton ball in this juice and keep the soaked cotton ball inside the nose for few minutes and inhale the fumes.
Both the above methods are very useful to prevent bleeding nose. It is obvious that onion will cause burning especially in the case of ruptured blood vessel walls. However, the methods are extremely helpful to control nosebleeds and helps in the healing process faster.
3. Saline Water
Dry weather is considered to be one of the main reasons for nose bleeds. It is a common observation that extreme conditions aggravate the condition. Very hot weather or chilled climate conditions contribute to dryness inside the nostrils. It is, therefore, important to moisten the nostrils which keeps it soft and prevents nosebleeds.
- Add one teaspoon of salt to a cup of lukewarm water.
- Use a dropper and pour few drops of this saline water in both the nostrils.
This method will keep the nose moist and prevent bleeding. It is ideal to repeat this process 2 times in a day, once in the morning and in the evening to prevent dryness of the nose.
Coriander is considered to be a wonder herb in Ayurveda and is well known to stop nosebleeds immediately. It has both cooling and soothing provides which provides relief instantly.
- Blend a handful of coriander leaves.
- Extract the fresh coriander juice from it.
- Soak a cotton ball in this juice and apply it inside the nostrils.
- Repeat several times in a day.
It soothes the walls and prevents bleeding. It also helps to repair the damaged blood vessel walls quickly.
- Blend coriander leaves to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the forehead and take rest.
The cooling properties of coriander help to stop nose bleeds immediately.
Let’s discuss superb benefits of coriander leaf juice!
5. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are extremely useful home remedies for nosebleeds. Chew some basil leaves early in the morning to prevent this condition. On the other hand, you can also apply fresh basil leaf juice on the inner portion of nostrils to get relief from bleeding nose.
Basil leaves are considered to be another great herb in Ayurveda and is very effective in several health problems including nosebleeds.
Some of the amazing benefits of Tulsi or Holy Basil herb that you must know…
6. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly moist the nose and also seals the cracked walls. Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly in the nostrils. This will help to prevent and heal bleeding nose.
It is extremely important to keep yourself hydrated to prevent dry walls and bleeding nose. Drink minimum 8 glasses of water in a day to keep yourself hydrated all the time.
Ice is very useful to stop bleeding nose. The main reason being, it reduces swelling, makes the area numb and constricts the blood vessel.
Place ice cubes in a cloth and apply the same on the upper portion of the nose. Keep the ice for few seconds and then again repeat the process till the bleeding stops completely.
Caution: Do not place the ice directly on the nose or inside the nostrils as it may block the air passage and may also aggravate the condition.
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C which helps to build collagen. This in turn repairs the broken or scratched walls easily.
Drink fresh lemon juice several times in a day. You can also consume other Vitamin C fruits such as oranges, gooseberries etc.
Steam immediately moisturises the nostrils and prevents nose bleeds.
- Boil water in a container and keep the container on a flat surface.
- Cover your head completely in a towel.
- Try to inhale the steam slowly.
- Within few minutes, the nose bleeds will stop and your nostrils will be completely moist.
Other than the traditional method of steaming, you can also inhale steam from your tea or coffee cups or while cooking.
All these Home Remedies for Nosebleeds will keep your nose moist and prevent the risk of bleeding nose.
Useful Tips To Prevent Nosebleeds
- Do not expose yourself to extreme dry conditions.
- Do not scratch your nose frequently to remove the dirt and dust accumulated in it.
- Eat healthy and consume lot of juices and water to stay healthy.
- Eat food rich in Zinc when you have nose bleeds as it helps to maintain the blood vessels.
- Get your allergy test done regularly and refrain from allergic items.
Nosebleeds are a common condition and are seen in all age groups. It mostly occurs in older people as their skin is mostly shrunken.
The home remedies for nosebleeds mentioned above are very helpful to heal bleeding nose. It is not a condition which requires medical attention as such, however if the nosebleeds continue for a longer period of time, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.