How To Control Runny Nose In Monsoon?
Monsoon has arrived and it is definitely a good time to enjoy the rain showers. However, monsoon is the ideal season to catch cold and flu as well!! Yes, that’s right, the enjoyable season also brings with it some specific diseases and cold is definitely one of them. We will also discuss here one another health issue i.e. runny nose. You must be aware of how to get rid of a runny nose in monsoon to stay healthy.
You can easily catch a cold and flu in this season as it is the best time for the influenza virus to breed and multiply. Moreover cold and flu are contagious and spreads easily. One of the major symptoms of influenza is running nose. It can be very annoying at times when you have a runny nose.
What Is A Runny Nose?
When you have cold and cough, the mucous inside your body becomes thin and it flows through the nose continuously. You may experience continuous sneezing and the mucous membrane is likely to secrete more mucous. This results in running nose and the watery substance emits continuously. You are in the process of wiping the same time and again and this can be really irritating.
Frequent wiping of the nose with handkerchief can create a burning sensation in the nose and causes itching and irritation. It also turns your nose red.
Causes Of Runny Nose
It is important to identify the causes behind a runny nose. It is obvious that cold and flu are of the primary reason behind it. However, excessive exposure to heat and weather fluctuations, allergies, stress and pressure can lead to runny nose. Although stress is a lesser known fact, however it is believed that people who take lot of stress, pressure and tension are likely to have a weak immune system and this may result in runny nose.
How To Get Rid Of A Runny Nose in Monsoon?
There are some basic home remedies which are very useful to stop the running nose and provides relief from the same. Let’s discuss how to get rid of a runny nose below.
Steam is very useful to prevent a runny nose. Steam stimulates the mucus membrane to release the mucus faster, thereby helps to clear the runny nose.
- Take a bowl of hot water and add few drops of eucalyptus oil to it.
- Cover your head completely with a towel and try to inhale the steam for few minutes.
- This will help to clear the mucus, once you have inhaled the steam blow your nose to eliminate the mucous.
- This is a very effective method and although you may experience some burning sensation in the nose initially, it will provide you immediate relief.
You can also use peppermint oil or menthol oil as an alternative. Adding Vicks to the hot water and inhaling the same also helps to a great extent.
2. Salt Water
Salt water is one of the best ways to get rid of a runny nose. It makes the mucus thinner which makes it easy to expel from the nose. Also, it is useful to clear the nasal passage.
- Add a teaspoon of salt water to half cup of warm water.
- Mix well to form a salty solution.
- Lie down with your head tilted backwards.
- With the help of a dropper, pour 2-3 drops of this solution in one nostril.
- Try to inhale the salt water.
- Repeat this process with the other nostril as well.
This is known as salt therapy for nostrils. It clears the nasal passage easily and helps to get rid of the runny nose. Some people may find it difficult initially as the salt water entering the nostrils may cause some irritation, however, regular practice will keep running nose at bay.
If you are stuck on the question as to how to get rid of a stuffy nose, Take a read through here…
Ginger is widely known as an antioxidant and has antiviral properties as well. Hence it is extremely useful for a runny nose.
- Take a slice of ginger and peel the outer skin from it.
- Apply a pinch of salt to the ginger and chew the ginger slice slowly.
- Intake the fresh juice of ginger.
- Chew the slice till you have consumed all the juice from it.
- Spit out the residue.
- Crush a slice of ginger and add it to hot water.
- Allow the mix to simmer for few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add few drops of honey to it.
- Drink this solution as a tea at least twice in a day to get rid of a runny nose.
4. Massage and Blow
When you suffer from a runny nose, you also get watery eyes and pain in the ears. Therefore, massage is very important.
- Take few drops of any oil of your choice such as olive oil, mustard oil or coconut oil.
- Take the oil on your palms and rub your palms vigorously.
- Now apply the warm oil on your nose, earlobes and eyelids.
- Massage gently for few minutes till you feel warm.
- Blow your nose once or twice to get rid of the mucous content.
Massage provides relief from a runny nose; moreover, the warmth of massage makes you feel comfortable during cold and flu. Massage several times in a day for effectiveness.
Basil leaves are medicinal in nature and are very useful for cold, flu and running nose. Ayurveda says that the holy basil leaves can cure any form of the disease and is equally effective for a runny nose.
- Pluck few fresh basil leaves and consume them directly.
- This will strengthen the immunity and helps to get rid of runny nose.
- It is preferable to consume these leaves prior to breakfast in an empty stomach.
- Add few basil leaves to a cup of hot water and let it steep for some time.
- Strain the liquid and add 2-3 drops of honey.
- Stir well and drink this hot herbal tea to get relief from a runny nose.
Honey is a delicious way to get rid of runny nose. It is a sweet treat for you and it cures cold and runny nose quickly.
- Take a glass of warm water and add fresh lime juice to it.
- Add a spoonful of honey to the solution.
- Stir well and drink the liquid several times in a day to get relief.
Honey helps to clear the mucous and you can blow off your nose to get rid of runny nose. It is best to drink this liquid when warm, however ensure that you do not mix honey while boiling the water as it will lose its effectiveness.
Turmeric is a spice and an essential home ingredient which can be used to cure any disease. The effect of turmeric on running nose is awesome and it helps to get rid of it naturally.
- Take 2 spoonful of mustard oil and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Warm this mix till smoke emits from the same.
- Inhale this smoke as much as possible.
This method will not only help to stop the running nose but will also clear any nasal irritant present. It is one of the effective and traditional methods, however it is important for you to inhale the smoke.
Garlic is a strong antioxidant and has antifungal properties. Also, it has thermogenic property which makes your body warm enough. It also increases immunity and therefore fights against infection and the influenza virus.
You can chew fresh garlic cloves in an empty stomach.
Alternatively, garlic gives a bad breath to your mouth. Therefore, you can skip chewing garlic cloves and opt for hot soups which have garlic in it. You can also add garlic to your regular curries and salads to get relief from runny nose.
9. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is one of the well known oils which can be very useful for running nose. It has antiviral and thermogenic properties which make the mucus thin and you can expel the same. It also calms your mucous membrane and the smell of mustard oil is really strong.
- Take 2 spoonful of mustard oil in a container.
- Add half teaspoon of black cumin seeds and crushed garlic cloves.
- Warm the mix till the garlic cloves turn brown.
- Strain the mix and use a dropper to drop the oil in your nostrils.
This method will provide you instant relief from runny nose.
Tips And Tricks To Prevent Runny Nose
There are certain tips which if followed religiously can prevent runny nose and these are described below:
- Try to keep your body warm as much as possible. You can apply mustard oil, drink soups, hot milk or anything which can keep your body warm.
- Do not expose yourself to rain or the cold atmosphere as it may worsen the condition.
- Take rest and get plenty of sleep. Giving your body the adequate rest it requires can help to prevent any form of disease including runny nose.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food and refrain eating outside as it may cause certain allergies and aggravate the condition.
- Wear warm clothes if you are feeling cold.
- Maintain personal hygiene, your handkerchiefs and clothes should all be well sterilized to prevent the infection from spreading.
- If you are sneezing, always place a handkerchief close to your nose. This ensures that the infection does not spread to the nearby people.
A runny nose is not a severe condition however it causes irritation as you need to frequently blow your nose or wipe the mucous. It is also a bit embarrassing as far as your social life is concerned. Also, it is contagious and other people may too have this condition. Therefore, to know how to get rid of a runny nose, try these simple home remedies and stay healthy in monsoon.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.