Table of Contents Hide
- Causes of Jaundice
- Symptoms of Jaundice
- Home Remedies For Jaundice
- Foods To Avoid During Jaundice
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Jaundice, one of the most common disease now-a-days. Jaundice is considered not as disease but as the sign for many underlying diseases. The major reason for the rise of jaundice in human body is liver disorder and viral hepatitis. Some of other causes of jaundice are due to malaria, hepatitis A and other liver disorders. Now since it is said to be the sign for underlying diseases, it is better to cure those diseases instead of going for jaundice treatment. The source of disease is checked first using some tests or ultrasound method to get to know the major cause of Jaundice. In this article, we will know some effective home remedies for jaundice.
Causes of Jaundice
Jaundice is mostly caused by the contamination of water. Although, in the initial stages it may not appear to be serious prolonged Jaundice can be extremely dangerous. It can lead to liver cirrhosis or even cancer in the worst case.
Moreover, elderly people suffering from Jaundice should be taken care of immediately as it often results in death in most of the cases.
Symptoms of Jaundice
The major symptom of Jaundice is the fading the color of skin to yellowish. The Yellowish staining of skin and white eye can be seen as the major and common symptom of jaundice. Other common symptoms include-
- Weight loss
- Dark Yellow Urine
- Pale colored stools
- Inflammation of the liver.
The person suffering from disease has a bitter taste of mouth and they do not feel the taste of anything. This results in weight loss.
Jaundice can occur to anyone but it commonly develops in babies. The babies needs to be tested for jaundice within 36 hours of birth. Also if the skin turns yellow after being pressed at the forehead can be a sign for this disease.
Let’s have a look at home remedies for jaundice.
Home Remedies For Jaundice
Some of the major Home Remedies For Jaundice are as follows.
1. Radish Leaves
Radish leaves are mostly known to increase the appetite in a person and it also facilitates bowel movement. It is therefore very useful in Jaundice.
- Take some fresh radish leaves and boil it with sufficient quantity of water.
- Keep the water aside and take out the leaves and blend them thoroughly using a blender.
- Add the stored water to it to reduce the consistency.
- Store this juice in the refrigerator to preserve it and drink it several times in a day.
- You can add a pinch of salt and pepper powder to it for taste.
Consume this juice for 8 – 10 days and it will reduce abdominal discomfort and cure jaundice as well.
Tomatoes are extremely healthy for people suffering from jaundice. They are easily digestible and also have essential vitamins which are required by body to improve immunity.
You can eat tomatoes directly by adding salt and pepper to it or also drink a glass of tomato juice daily.
How To Prepare Tomato Juice?
- Take 4-5 ripe tomatoes and wash them thoroughly to remove the dirt on it.
- Cut them into small slices and blend them properly using a blender.
- Strain the fresh juice from it leaving behind the pulp.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to it.
- You can also add few coriander leaves for flavor.
- Drink this glass of tomato juice several times in a day.
- Continue with this routine for about 10 days to get cured of Jaundice.
It is a common observation in jaundice that the patient usually suffers from nausea and vomiting if they drink or eat anything. In such cases, split the juice into two glasses and take small sips. Drink the juice at regular intervals rather than gulping at once.
Jaundice is basically a disease of the liver and almonds are liver friendly food. They help the liver in the secretion of the bile pigments.
- Take 5-10 almonds and soak it in a water container.
- Leave it for the overnight.
- Next morning peel the outer skin of the almonds and make a fine paste of it.
- Consume this paste several times in a day.
Usually, most of us consume almonds along with the outer skin. However, for a jaundice patient digestion is very important hence removing the skin and making a paste helps in absorption more quickly.
Lemon is full of Vitamin C and is also anti-inflammatory by nature. Therefore drinking lemon juice really helps. It reduces the inflammation of the liver and also opens the bile ducts for the liver to function normally.
- Squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water.
- Add salt to it and drink it as frequently as possible.
Turmeric is a natural medicine for almost all the ailments and it is equally useful for Jaundice as well. It is a myth that some people refrain having turmeric as the skin already appears yellowish in colour.
- Take a glass of water and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Mix well and drink this solution in empty stomach to get rid of Jaundice.
- Continue this routine for almost 10 days.
6. Papaya Leaves
Papaya is one such plant where all the parts can be consumed. Papaya leaves are extremely useful in Jaundice.
- Pluck few fresh papaya leaves and make a fine paste of it.
- Add few drops of honey to it and consume this paste several times in a day.
- Continue for a weeks to see a significant difference in Jaundice.
7. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are excellent home remedies for jaundice. The medicinal properties present in the holy leaves not only helps to get rid of jaundice but also strengthens the liver.
- Pluck few basil leaves and make a paste out of it.
- Take a cup of water and add a teaspoon of this paste to it.
- Stir well and drink this liquid several times in a day for effectiveness.
You can also add the basil leaves paste to radish juice and drink it regularly for benefits. Also, chew some fresh basil leaves to help in curing Jaundice.
8. Sugarcane Juice
- Sugar cane juice are best for the liver. It helps the liver to function properly and also cures jaundice.
- Squeeze few drops of lemon into a glass of cane juice and drink it 2-3 times in a day for a week to recover from jaundice.
- Gooseberry or Amla is loaded with Vitamin C and plays a vital role in liver ailments.
- Eat fresh amla or drink amla juice regularly for a week to see significant difference in Jaundice.
10. Carrot Juice
- Carrot juice is very good for people suffering from jaundice.
- Prepare a glass of carrot juice and drink it 2-3 times in a day for effectiveness. You can also combine carrot and beet and drink a juice of it.
11. Bitter Gourd
- Bitter gourd are very beneficial for people having Jaundice. The bitter taste of this vegetable helps to heal faster.
- Although it is extremely difficult to drink this juice, but just think it as a medicine and drink it to have a rapid recovery.
Thus we have seen here home remedies for jaundice. But, also there are certain foods to avoid that we will see in next section.
Foods To Avoid During Jaundice
With the home remedies for jaundice, there are certain restrictions in terms of food for Jaundice patients and they should avoid the below-mentioned food items completely.
- Spicy and deeply fried foods.
- Junk foods and foods rich in carbohydrate are not allowed as liver needs more energy to consume this type of food and can cause more damage.
- Consuming Alcohol, coffee or tea is strictly prohibited.
- Avoid the roadside foods like noodles, panipuri, chaats etc. as it is mostly contaminated and can completely damage the liver.
- Do not opt for any outside food for at least a month or so from jaundice because there are high chances that you may get Jaundice again. The liver takes its own time to heal and eating non-desirable food can put in lot of pressure on the liver.
The person suffering from jaundice should be very cautious in food and should have a diet which is a very good source of calcium and minerals.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are highly recommended.
- Drink lot of water and juices as it will help to flush toxins and free radicals from the body and helps to strengthen the liver.
- Eat light food almost after a week of jaundice to facilitate normal digestion by the liver.
- Drink bottle guard juice as it imparts cooling property to the liver.
- Opt for only fresh juice and water during the first week of jaundice and slowly you can start eating fruits and vegetables.
- Drink boiled and purified water only.
Jaundice is mostly caused by the contamination of the water and it really makes the liver very weak. Therefore, it is ideal to have food from home rather than outside. However, in case you are extremely lured by the street food always opt for a decent place for the same.
However, always remember do not eat anything outside for 1-2 months post jaundice. Also, if you see that the symptoms do not subside post 2 weeks, consult a doctor immediately and take medicines.
As a caution do not jump or hop around while you are suffering from Jaundice. Your body is low on immunity and needs sufficient rest during this time. Any kind of extreme physical activity may rupture the liver in worst circumstances.
Hope you have found these home remedies for jaundice useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.