Visualize a scorching Sunday afternoon in the summer season. While watching your favourite movie or sport, you don’t feel like feasting on French fries, popcorn or potato chips. Suddenly, your loved one pops in the living room with a plate full of cucumber slices sprinkled with pepper and salt. Yes, that’s the right summer food which you enjoy! See here the proven benefits of cucumber for skin and health.
Though cucumber sounds boring in a diet regime, it works like a miracle during the scorching heat of summers to cool your mind and body. Cucumber is juicy, yummy and tastes amazing when garnished with pepper or plain salt. You can even sprinkle your favourite chat masala on it.
We are talking about the beautiful benefits of cucumber for skin and health. Let us first check the properties of cucumber.
- Vitamin C content
- Vitamins, including Vitamin B, B5, B7
Benefits Of Cucumber For Skin And Health
Cucumbers for Health
- Cucumbers are comprised of 95 percent water. Hence, it helps in balancing the water content in our bodies in summer season. It will keep you hydrated all day long.
- Cucumbers are very good at improving memory powers of a brain.
- Regular consumption of cucumbers reduces risk of cancerous diseases such as breast, uterine, prostate and others.
- As it calms down the entire body system, it reduces inflammation of the skin. Hence, in case you experience redness, soreness or inflammation of the skin, then it is recommended to apply cucumber extract on the affected areas.
- Due to the antioxidant properties contained in cucumbers, the risks pertaining to heart and other cardiovascular diseases are reduced to a great extent. However, for the overall benefit of cucumbers, you need to consume it throughout the year and not only during summers.
- Cucumber also has anti-bacterial properties that fight against the bad breath of mouth. Excess heat released by the stomach is a primary reason for bad breath. Cucumbers help in lowering down this excess heat, reducing the bad breath.
- As cucumbers are powerhouses of essential Vitamins, they help in reducing stress and anxiety feelings of a person. Hence, after eating a cucumber, you will feel refreshed and pleasant for the day.
- Proper digestion of food by the body organs is facilitated by water and fibre. Cucumber has high sources of water content and hence, it helps in proper digestion of food as well as removing unnecessary extracts from the body. Drinking cucumber juice on a daily basis can help a person suffering from severe constipation.
- Loaded with low calories, cucumbers are best for people on diet. It is a fibrous foodstuff that contains major portion of water. A perfect combination of food and water, cucumbers are great for weight loss. It will make your stomach full for longer and you won’t experience food cravings all the time. If a person consumes a cucumber salad before lunch or dinner, then he or she may feel less hungry and eat less number of calories at mealtime.
- Cucumbers can be used as a base juice for all kinds of vegetable juices. For instance, adding cucumber juice to carrot or karela (bitter gourd) juice can increase its taste as well as make it healthier for your body.
- People suffering high blood pressure levels also need to consume cucumbers on regular basis.
- Even people suffering from diabetes should eat cucumbers on a consistent basis. Cucumbers help in secreting insulin and also regulate blood sugar levels.
Cucumbers for Beauty
- As we have already mentioned above that cucumbers are rich in Vitamin C content, they reduce skin inflammation. It also reduces swelling. People having skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis need to apply cucumber juice on the affected areas to prevent constant itching and dryness.
- Cucumbers are astringent in nature and hence, act as cooling agent for the skin. In case of heat burn or sunburn, apply cucumber slices or grated cucumber on your face and hands.
- Cucumbers also brighten the skin tone. Uneven skin tone is one of the outcomes of prolonged exposure to sunrays. Cucumber face packs or gels can help you to remove suntan and resulting dark spots.
- Cucumber are also soothing for the stressed and heated eyes during summer. In fact, putting cucumber slices on eyes is a common remedy for reducing redness or under eye circles. However, if you apply grated cucumber on a regular basis on eyes, it will fade away all the eye related cancers. Our eyes are constantly stressed by watching TV or staring at the computer screen for 8-9 hours. Nothing can be soothing for the eyes than the cucumber eye packs!
- Along with under eye circles, fine lines or crow’s feet is another concern for the ladies during summer or after a certain age. Cucumber slices will always help you as they are fortified with the essential antioxidants for your skin. It offers adequate nourishment to the skin below the eyes.
- If you need a natural toner, then freshly prepare cucumber juice is the best solution to remove dirt, impurities and makeup from your skin. Cucumber has natural cleansing properties for the skin!
Why Apply Cucumber Naturally?
You must have checked out many cucumber-based products in the beauty stores such as cucumber gels, cucumber face packs or cucumber face creams. First, answer this question. Have you ever tried eating a sliced cucumber after a day by keeping in a container? No. It will smell and become blackish in colour. Forget the nutrients, you can’t even stand its smell! Then, how do you know that the benefits of cucumber for skin and health? It is prepared with added preservatives and harsh chemicals. You will never like to apply such preserved cucumbers on your face or skin, even though it saves your valuable time.
Hence, it is advisable to apply cucumber in its neat form. If you want to apply cucumber on the eyes, then use this pack. Grate cucumber, and add a spoon of oatmeal powder or almond powder into it. Apply this mixture on the eyes for 10-15 minutes. You will certainly feel refreshed. It takes a few minutes to grate or extract juice of a cucumber.
Extract cucumber juice and use it as a cleanser, toner and astringent. If you want to wash your face after applying a face pack, then use cucumber juice for the purpose. It will gently remove the face pack and also nourish the skin. Cucumber juice can also be added to the face packs during summer.
Surprisingly, cucumbers are also good for getting healthy hair. As it contains higher silicon content, it makes your hair clean, lustrous and healthy. Use it as a conditioner after hair wash or add it in any of the hair packs.
While applying cucumber to your face, do not forget the neck and back areas. These areas also get tanned or red during summer season.
Thus, regular consumption of cucumbers is extremely beneficial for your health during summers. Additionally, it is a miracle for the irritated skin during summers because of multiple benefits of cucumber for skin and health and amazing properties.
So, next time, when you shop for cucumbers at the vegetable vendor, incorporate it largely in your diet regime. Use it for losing unwanted pounds and to be in a great shape. Keep in mind all benefits of cucumber for skin and health. And also do not forget to use it in your beauty care regime. It will work for your eyes, hands, face, and affected areas.