Basil Essential Oil: Benefits And Uses You Must Know!
Heard of basil herb? It’s nothing but a tulsi herb. As all of us know that tulsi plays an important role in a healthy life, it is considered as the QUEEN OF HERBS. There are many types of basil plant but this essential oil is obtained from a particular species. The basil essential oil uses and health benefits are enormous.
What Is Basil Essential Oil?
It is a type of essential oil obtained from a species Ocimumbasilicum. L plant. Basil essential oil has a fresh aroma, so it commonly used in aromatherapy. Some studies have revealed that these basil essential oil uses are extensive as it possesses anti-cancer, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Components Of Basil Essential Oil
- Methyl chavicol
- Methyl Cinnamate
Know About The Basil Essential Oil Uses!
Basil oil is rich in Vitamin A, magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium and the uses of basil essential oil are multitudinous.
- Used as a floor cleaner.
- Used in bathrooms as a disinfectant by spraying it on the walls.
- Used as a mosquito repellant, a natural one without any side effects.
- Can be immediately used for any injuries or cut wounds.
- Can use it as a room freshener which obviously makes you feel relaxed.
- Used as a mouthwash.
- Use it with dishwashing soaps to eliminate the odor and cleans effectively.
- Can also be used for the sprain.
- Basil essential oil for hair helps to remove excess oil. Mix it with the shampoo and use it twice in a week.
- Use basil oil in bath water daily to relieve body discomforts.
Important Benefits of Basil Essential Oil
As we discussed earlier basil essential oil benefits are numerous. Let’s see to it one by one in detail.
1. Basil Oil Promotes Skin Health
- Linalool, eugenol and citronella in basil essential oil are efficacious in reducing skin inflammation.
- Topical application of this oil helps to relieve itches and also soothes any injury caused by the insect sting.
- It helps in preventing the blackheads. Can be mixed along with lemon, Multani Mitti and honey.
- Researches have revealed the phytochemicals in basil essential oil which protects healthy cells and prevents cancer.
- It slows down the spread of cancer cells, slows down metastasis. So it can be used as a supplement for other treatments for cancer.
- Basil essential oil treats acne and other skin infections as it has the anti-bacterial activity.
- It relieves itching and heals ringworm infection.
- Basil essential oil uses to improve skin tone and reduces excess oil secretion, gives you a bright look.
- Apply diluted basil essential oil with coconut oil with a cotton swab on your face to get effective results.
2. Using Basil Works As A Stress Reliever
- It is a natural relaxant oil and has a calming effect.
- It treats mental conditions like depression, anxiety, stress, migraine, fatigue etc.,
- Aromatherapy is used here to have a positive effect on nerves and refreshes the person.
- This oil gives you strong mental strength and clarity when used on daily basis.
- Some studies have revealed that this oil has an adaptogenic property which makes your body gets adapted to stress and depression, gives a calming effect.
3. It Is A Good Analgesic
- Basil oil is naturally an analgesic and helps to relieve any sorts of discomforts which occurs in your body.
- It gives the best relief for arthritis patients.
- It provides relief from burns, bruises, surgical wounds, injuries, sprains etc.,
4. Yes, Basil Oil Purifies Blood
- Basil oil helps in blood purification.
- Toxins in your blood are harmful and result in various diseases.
- When used internally, it flushes out the blood toxins and keeps you healthy.
5. Basil Oil has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- This oil has good anti-microbial properties. So you can place it in the kitchen area to remove the microbes over there.
- It helps in the prevention of diseases and safeguards your health.
- It can be used as an air freshener in bathrooms and also it purifies the air and kills the bacteria over there.
- Go for a DIY basil essential oil spray bottle to spray this oil on the bathroom surfaces, ensuring a clean surface.
- As it has the anti-inflammatory property, it is used for treating any skin infections and cut wounds preventing the entry of other microbes.
- You can also use as a floor cleaner, flushes out the bacteria and other microbes.
6. It Works As A Muscle Relaxant
- Basil essential oil is best in its relaxing property.
- Its relaxing effect doesn’t limit only to the emotional conditions but also to the muscles.
- It aids in muscle relaxation and relieves muscle pain and soreness and also treats sprain.
- Massage your muscles with basil oil and coconut oil to get rid of this pain.
- It is also used to treat the painful joints.
- Soak the affected part in basil essential oil with warm water to get an instant effect and makes you feel comfortable.
7. Basil Oil Is A Great Mood Enhancer
- Feeling dull and tired? Here comes a good remedy, that’s the basil essential oil. Take a deep breath of basil oil.
- The aroma in the oil acts as a natural stimulant which provokes the nervous system and adrenal cortex.
- This alerts the person mentally and regains their strength and energy, makes you refreshed as like morning hours.
- The strong stimulant also soothes tiredness and makes you feel fresh and energetic, enhancing your mood.
- Swad this basil essential oil at the neck or wrist for an added effect.
8. Using Basil Essential Oil For Cold
- Its anti-inflammatory effect helps in fighting the bacteria and virus causing cold.
- It’s a good remedy in treating fever and relieves pain, fatigue.
- Take hot baths with the basil essential oil helps in relieving the symptoms of a cold.
- Mix it with the eucalyptus essential oil and have a deep breath.
- Also massage this on your chest, forehead, nose which provides you with a good relief.
- It treats the symptoms of sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough, as it has antispasmodic property.
9. Improves Oral Health
- Basil essential oil is proved to be effective in improving oral health.
- This oil inhibits gingivitis, plaque and flushes out harmful microbes in your oral cavity.
- Can be used as a mouthwash by diluting it with tea tree essential oil and clove oil to get an added effect.
- It even helps in relieving halitosis (oral malodor) and freshens your breath.
- Basil oil soothes mouth ulcers as it has the anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Basil Essential Oil For Hair
- You can use it as a massage oil for your scalp which increases blood circulation.
- This increased blood circulation stimulates the hair follicles for the production of new hair.
- Mix this basil oil with shampoo or conditioner to prevent the hair fall.
- Are you suffering from dandruff and itchy scalp? Here comes a good home remedy. Mix basil oil with coconut oil and apply it over the scalp and massage. It kicks off your dandruff and soothes the scalp.
- Combining amla powder and basil oil does miracles over your grey hair, gives you radiant and darker hair.
Apart from these benefits, basil essential oil uses to treat nausea, indigestion, diabetes, constipation, stomach cramps, respiratory problems etc.,
You Should Know These Side Effects of Using Basil Essential Oil
- Basil oil affects your nerves. So persons with nerve problems and episodes of epilepsy should avoid taking this oil. Atleast consult your physician before planning to use it.
- This basil essential oil lowers blood pressure levels. Hence people suffering from low blood pressure issue need to be cautious while using it.
- It gives allergic reactions. Go with the patch test before using this essential oil.
- It also lowers your blood sugar level.
- Excessive intake of basil oil leads to liver cancer.
- It has an anti-coagulant effect which increases the flow of bleeding. So the persons undergoing surgery must avoid it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can pregnant women use this oil?
Ans. – Pregnant women should not use this oil, as it alters hormonal levels which affect muscle and nerve functioning.
2. Shall we encourage this oil for kids?
Ans. – No, children should avoid using this basil essential oil.
3. Shall we take the basil oil internally?
Ans. – Yes, you can consume it only the one which is tested, approved and certified. As the essential oil is concentrated, kindly dilute it with water or honey and have it.
Knowing its beneficial effects and basil essential oil uses, it is important to make it a part of your routine to get an immediate relief for various problems. It helps you to stay healthy always!