Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda are both extremely versatile substances with numerous benefits of their own. For generations, Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda have been in use, in multiple ways to cure various health problems and to tackle varied household and even beauty issues. These two simple ingredients, readily available in our kitchens, when combined together, make an incredible concoction which is a powerhouse for treating and curing different health problems.
The alkaline properties of Baking Soda and acidic properties of Apple Cider Vinegar blend together to achieve an acidic balance that is ideal for a healthy body. Mixing Baking Soda in Apple Cider Vinegar regulates the acidity of the vinegar, making it easily digestible and palatable for consumption.
We all recognize Apple Cider Vinegar, as a powerful ingredient, known to treat various ailments, ranging from common cold and cough to diabetes, preventing heart and kidney diseases to contributing to weight loss. Listed below are the various benefits of this wonderful liquid:
- Apple Cider Vinegar has more than adequate supply of different minerals like potassium, sulphur, calcium, silicone, zinc, phosphorous, magnesium and iron which help the beneficial enzymes present in the Apple Cider Vinegar to function optimally. It also contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B, B16 and A. The enzymes and nutrients present in it, boost our metabolism and eliminate unwanted fat from our body, eventually helping in weight loss. Being rich in minerals, it prevents muscle cramps, a condition many sports-enthusiasts suffer from. The sulphur content in it helps liver burn fat more efficiently. Vitamin A present in it prevents dry eye syndrome.
- The acetic acid present in Apple Cider Vinegar curbs our hunger and reduces water retention in our body, thereby aiding in weight loss. The presence of acetic acid also boosts absorption of minerals, in our body, from the food we eat.
- The anti-glycemic properties of Apple Cider Vinegar promote a healthy blood sugar levels by blocking the digestion of starch and thus preventing it from raising the level of blood sugar in our body.
- It is a wonderful diuretic, which eliminates excess fluids from our body.
- It helps in preventing urinary infections by keeping our urinary tracts clean.
- It also removes mucous from our body, in case of cold and sinusitis.
- Moreover, it also brings down the cholesterol levels and the measures of triglycerides and uric acid.
- People also take, what is known as the Apple Cider Vinegar bath, by soaking in a tub of warm water containing 1-2 cups of vinegar for 20-30 minutes and then rinsing off with a cool shower. This bath removes all the fungus and bacteria that settles on our skin over a period of time, soothes sunburns and joint pains too. It also works as a hair detox.
Baking Soda, another versatile ingredient, easily available in our kitchen is used in numerous home remedies. Baking Soda is also known as Nahcolite, a part of the natural mineral Natron which contains a large amount of sodium bicarbonate and has been used as a deodorizer, soother and cleanser, for ages. It is an amazingly effective medium for cleaning and removing stains. In addition to all this, it has numerous health benefits too. It is used for treating and curing various health conditions ranging from simple flu and common cold to kidney diseases and even cancer.Listed below are some of the benefits of Baking Soda:
- According to a study, baking soda helps in the diagnosis and balancing of cancer growth. It slows down the rate of tumour growth and is safe to be consumed alongside the medical treatment.
- The alkalising property of Baking soda regulates Ph levels of our body and maintains an ideal acidic level, desired to achieve and maintain a healthy body. Studies suggest that no disease, even cancer can thrive in our bodies when they are at the right Ph balance. The ideal acidic level of our body also helps our kidneys remove acids from our body.
- Baking Soda also neutralizes stomach acids, making it a perfect remedy for ulcers.
- In ancient times, many civilizations used Baking Soda as natural soap. It can be used to scrub vegetables and fruits to remove residues of any pesticides that may have been used during their cultivation.
- Its acts a natural deodorant and soothes sore muscles when added to our bath water.
- It takes care of our skin by maintaining a balanced Ph level and preventing acne, dry and rough skin etc.
- Another way, Baking Soda has been used for ages is a raising agent while baking. It is 100% sodium bicarbonate which when mixed with acid, makes bubbles and gives off carbon dioxide, causing the dough to rise.
When we mix two of the most powerful natural ingredients together, what we get is a Super drink that is nectar, for almost all the health conditions in the world. They are both foods that are reputed to be effective cleansers. With the qualities they possess, they not only clean our homes and household stuff but they also act as a cleansing agent for our body- purging our bodies of various diseases and achieving a Ph balance that is ideal to boost the body’s natural resistance towards numerous ailments and diseases.
Baking Soda regulates the acidity of the Apple Cider Vinegar, making it easily digestible and also more palatable for consumption. It keeps our body healthier as it neutralizes the acidic level of our body, thus discouraging the growth of any unhealthy condition.
Here are some of the benefits in which, this miracle of a drink, also referred to as a tonic by many, combats a number of health conditions.
Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
1. Digestive Benefits
A lot of our digestive issues can be mitigated to a large extent, with this incredible concoction. The various nutrients and enzymes present in this combo boost our digestion and help eliminate digestive issues like GERD, acid reflux and heartburn.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
Consuming this super drink regularly for three months or more stabilizes fat levels of our body naturally and eventually helps in losing weight. Further, it helps in losing weight by reducing the glucose level in the body by 20%. Apple Cider Vinegar as we all know is made of apple and yeast to which good bacteria is added. This good bacteria not only boosts our immunity but also plays an important role in absorbing maximum nutrition from the food we eat. This satiates our hunger very quickly and we don’t overeat, thus helping weight loss. Additionally, the strong flavour of this concoction stimulates the production of stomach acid and bile in the digestive system, leading to a faster metabolism, thereby aiding weight loss. Another feature of this drink that aids weight loss is that it discourages fat storage in the body.
However, this drink alone cannot help lose weight. People desiring to lose weight need to incorporate it into a healthy weight loss regime. A healthy weight loss regime is made up of a healthy, well-balanced diet coupled with moderate work out every day.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar for Face
These two powerful ingredients work wonders for our face as well. Most common skin problems are caused by high level of acidity in our body, making our skin rough and dry which in turn lead to acne, pigmentation etc. The blend of Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda hydrates our skin by bringing about an ideal acidic level in our body and improving our skin health. Moreover, the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of Baking Soda help remove acne. On the other hand, Alpha-hydroxy acid in Apple Cider Vinegar help removes the dead cell from our face to give way to the healthy and glowing skin.
A face mask containing these two ingredients is recommended to tackle the breakouts and problem of dry skin.The following recipe for a face mask is perfect for exfoliating, removing blackheads and cleaning clogged pores.
Exfoliating Face Mask Containing Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar: 2tbsp.
- Baking Soda: 2 tbsp
- Take Baking Soda in a bowl.
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar to it in small quantities to avoid the mixture from fizzing and bubbling out.
- Mix them thoroughly to make a smooth paste.
- Apply a thick layer of this mixture over your face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. As the mask begins to dry, it may begin to itch as an indication of it fighting with the impurities on your skin.
- Wash it off first with warm water and then cold water to close your pores. Remember not to scrub the mask off your face while washing as it may irritate the skin.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda for Hair
These two simple ingredients combine to form a chemical free shampoo, albeit without lather. Nevertheless, a hair washes, if don’t want it to call it a shampoo, for those who don’t want to use any chemicals on their scalp. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking soda have been used to wash hair for ages. They have withstood the test of time and even in the modern time and age, people resort to it, when they are tired of using harmful chemicals on their scalp. Baking Soda is a wonderful cleanser. It is a mild alkali with fine yet abrasive particles. These two features work together to break down dirt and grease in our hair and clean it.
Following is a simple and chemical-free method to wash your hair, using Baking Soda and Vinegar-
Method for Shoulder –Length Hair-
- Take about 2 tbsp of baking soda and mix it with about half a cup of water. Apply this mixture to the roots of dry or wet hair by starting at the roots and working towards the end.
- Rub it into the scalp for 1-2 minutes to rub-clean your scalp and then let it be for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Mix one part of Apple Cider Vinegar with four-part drinks of water to make a rinse.
- Apply it to your hair by tilting your head backward.
- Leave it on for a minute or so and then rinse off with cold water. It helps to seal in the moisture and also give shine to the hair.
5. Prevents Urinary Tract Infections or UTI’s
The consumption of this miracle drink maintains the acidity level of our urine while cleansing the urinary tract, thus reducing the chances of urinary tract Infections. It also cleanses the kidneys, liver and gallbladder thereby preventing the formation of kidney and gallbladder stones. High sulphur content of the Apple Cider Vinegar ensures thorough cleansing of the liver which accelerates burning of fat in the liver.
6. Heart Health
The Apple Cider Vinegar in this concoction improves heart health by reducing bad cholesterol and also helps in clearing the blockage in arteries.
7. Cold and Allergies
This super drink also helps in alleviating the symptoms of the common cold by eliminating mucous, reducing congestion, clearing the airways thereby healing faster.
8. Dental Health
The abundance of minerals in this mixture makes it highly beneficial for our teeth, keeping common dental problems like Gingivitis, cavities, plaque and gum inflammation at bay.
The alkalizing property of this miraculous drink helps arthritis patients by reducing pain.
10. Reduces Inflammation
It flushes out excess fluid from our body which may be causing pressure points in the muscles and joints and reducing inflammation to a large extent.
11. Good for Eyes
Vitamin A present in this marvelous drink prevents dry eye syndrome and keeps eye infections at bay.
Recipe for This Miraculous Drink
- Apple Cider Vinegar(raw and unfiltered): 2tbsps
- Baking Soda: 1/4thtsp
- Water: about ½ a glass
- Honey: 1 tsp (optional)
- Mix Baking soda and Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass to avoid all the fizz caused by baking soda to spill out.
- Add about half a glass of water.
- If you wish you can make it more palatable by adding a teaspoon of honey to it.
- It is best to take it on an empty stomach twice or thrice a day, at least an hour before meals.
It is prudent to mention here that Apple Cider Vinegar used should be raw, unfiltered and unrefined which contains ‘mother’ of vinegar. To understand mother of vinegar, we need to understand, the steps involved in the making of Apple Cider Vinegar.
In the first step of the making of Apple Cider Vinegar, apples are fermented with yeast, which transforms the natural sugar, present in the apples into alcohol. The alcohol formed, is fermented again, this time with good bacteria, turning the alcohol into acetic acid. It is an acetic acid which not only gives the vinegar its sour taste but it is also the source of all the health benefits that the Apple Cider Vinegar is associated with. The mother in the Vinegar refers to strands of friendly bacteria, proteins and enzymes that give the vinegar murky and cobweb-like appearance. In fact, this appearance is the identification of genuine, raw and unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar.
However, it is vitally important to employ certain precautions too, while consuming this incredible concoction. As it is rightly said, the excess of anything is bad – we must ensure that we consume the required dosage only, in order to avoid any adverse effects. Consuming more quantity of this marvelous drink may bring about adverse effects like nausea and throat burn. Moreover, it can also bring down our potassium levels dangerously down. Further, it may interfere or cause side effects if we consume it while we are on some medication. Additionally, it should not be taken by expectant and lactating women.
So there it is! Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda in all their glory. Two simple and conveniently accessible ingredients from our kitchens come together to make an astonishingly effective drink that not only has the potential to ward off multiple health problems, deal with beauty issues but also function as an effective cleaning tool in our household.Consuming it in a responsible way definitely promises to be fruitful in more ways than one.