How To Get Rid Of Knee Pain?
Knee pain is one of most common medical condition especially among the adults which is caused due to the continuous wear and tear of the knee joint. According to study, it is found that women are more vulnerable to knee pain in comparison to that of men. Hence you will come to know here some home remedies for knee pain.
The location of knee pain can vary from parts to parts like it can occur at Knee joint or at kneecap or at the ligaments or cartilages. These parts can feel severe pain to the extreme one like disabling pain. The main reason for the knee pain is due to the weakened bone structure and also due to the wear and tear caused with age. There are few other causes of the knee pain which include fracture, dislocation of knee and many more.
You need to take care of your knee in knee pain and it is not something that can be neglected. There are many home remedies for knee pain which could be useful in case of minor or mild pain. However, in case the pain is more and unbearable it is advisable to consult your doctor as soon as possible. The diagnosis and treatment prescribed by them can be followed to get rid of the same.
Home Remedies For Knee Pain
Some of the effective home remedies for knee pain are as follows:
1. Cold Compress
Knee pain with swelling can be controlled by cold compressing the area. It is considered as the best way to reduce the pain and swelling.
The cold compress when applied will reduce the blood vessel in flowing to the affected area and thus will reduce the swelling.
- Take some ice cubes and tie it in a clean cloth.
- Place the cloth on the affected areas.
- This make the area numb and reduce pain instantly.
- You can repeat this process as and when you feel acute pain in the knees and joints.
This method is very effective to reduce the knee pain effectively.
You can also alternate cold and hot compress respectively to get relief from pain.
What Is Hot Compress?
In hot compress, all you need to do is to soak a towel in hot water and squeeze it to drain the excess water from it. Wrap the hot towel around the knees till it cools down. Repeat several times in a day for relief.
The warmth of the hot compress helps to ease the muscles and improves blood circulation which in turn provides relief from knee pain.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider vinegar is also one of the important home remedies for knee pain. The alkalizing effect which is present in the solution dissolves the mineral build up at the knee joint thereby reducing the pain.
- Take 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix with sufficient quantity of lukewarm water.
- Consume this solution several times in a day to get rid of knee pain.
This is a very effective process and continuous usage will reduce the knee pain to a great extent. Off late, apple cider vinegar has been found to be an effective remedy for most of the ailments and hence is useful for knee pain as well.
3. Cayenne Pepper
It acts like a pain reliever due to the natural analgesic or the pain relieving properties. This produces a warm sensation and helps in reducing the pain at affected knee area.
- Take 2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper and mix it with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mix on the knees.
- Ensure that you apply a thick coat on the knees and leave it for an hour or so.
- Wipe off the mix using a clean cloth.
This mix is very effective for knee pain. Olive oil acts as a lubricant and lubricates the knees thereby promoting movement and helping to get rid of knee pain. You can also mix cayenne pepper with mustard oil and massage the same on the knees for effectiveness.
No matter what type of pain is, the most effective way to get rid of the same is ginger. It is considered as the most effective way of alleviating the pain due the presence of the anti-inflammatory compounds in it.
- Take a small piece of ginger.
- Clean it properly, crush it and add it to a container of boiling water.
- Boil the mix for few minutes till the ginger contents are infused in the water.
- Leave it for some time to steep and then strain the liquid.
- Add honey and lemon juice and consume it twice or thrice on daily basis until the pain subsides completely.
Alternatively, you can also use ginger roots for preparing herbal tea and consume it regularly to get relief.
You can also include ginger in your regular diet by adding the same to the food items and curries that you consume regularly.
This contains both anti-inflammatories as well as antioxidant properties in it which can be helpful in reducing the pain.
- Add one teaspoon of both ginger and turmeric to boiling water.
- Strain the liquid.
- Add few drops of honey or lemon juice for taste and consume the solution regularly for relief from pain.
- Make a fine paste of turmeric with water and apply the same on the knee pain.
- Leave it for some time and then wash off with lukewarm water.
Also, you can have a glass of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric to reduce the pain. It is very effective remedy and makes your body warm from inside. Being thermogenic in nature it helps you to get relief from pain.
6. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is good for any form of pain and the same holds good for knee pain as well. It has anti-inflammatory properties and mustard oil acts as a lubricant. Therefore, it is useful to get relief from knee pain.
- Apply mustard oil on the knees and gently massage the surface.
- Leave it for few minutes for the oil to get absorbed in the skin.
- You can also soak a clean cloth in hot water and wrap it around the knee for the oil to get absorbed in the skin faster.
- Wipe off the excess oil from the area.
- This process can be continued daily several times to get rid of the pain.
You can also mix some turmeric powder with mustard oil and apply it on the affected areas.
Massaging is very useful for any form of pain. It promotes blood circulation in the body and eases your nerves and muscles.
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is known for its relaxing properties. It is equally useful for knee pain as well.
- Take a bucket of water and add 2 tablespoon of Epsom salt.
- Soak your knees in this water for some time.
- Pat dry and relax.
- Repeat this process several times in a week till the knee pain reduces completely.
You can also soak your entire body in the bathing tub with Epsom salt diluted in it and relax for 15-20 minutes. It is important to remember that Epsom salt should not be used by patients suffering from any heart diseases.
8. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is known for its cooling properties and acts like an analgesic. It has pain relieving properties and can be used for any form of pain including knee pain.
- Apply few drops of oil on the knees and massage gently for few minutes.
- Leave the oil to get absorbed in the skin.
- The cooling property of eucalyptus will leave behind a soothing effect on the knees and your pain will be reduced to a great extent.
- Continue this process once daily till the knee pain goes off completely.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds has pain relieving properties. Also, it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and produces any form of inflammation or pain in the knees and joints.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and grind them thoroughly to get the powder.
- Soak the powder in water for 2-3 hours.
- Apply the mix on the affected areas and massage gently.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes and wipe off with a clean cloth.
- Continue this method daily till you get relief from knee pain.
You can also add few drops of olive oil or mustard oil to this mix and massage on the affected area for increased effectiveness.
Tips And Tricks To Prevent Knee Pain
- Go for a morning walk, practice yoga or some form of physical activity is needed for knee and joint pain. Do not indulge in rigorous exercise but the movement of the knee and joint is essential.
- Knee cap is also useful for people suffering from acute knee pain.
- Do not sit at one place for long hours as it may increase the pain when you stand up.
- Massage the affected areas regularly to get relief from pain.
Knee pain needs some serious attention and our simple Home Remedies For Knee Pain will be very useful to alleviate the pain. However, if you still do not find any difference in the pain after a week, better consult a doctor and take medicines accordingly.