White teeth always have an impact on a beautiful smile, which makes a bold statement for any occasion. Suffering from tooth discoloration? Stains in your tooth make you lose your self-confidence.
Feeling unpleasant to laugh out in front of others? Don’t get overwrought! Here we have come out with a good option to whiten your teeth. That’s the BAKING SODA! We are going to see, how to whiten teeth with baking soda? Hope you will like this home remedy to get out of your problem!
What Is a Baking Soda?
Baking soda is nothing but sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda is obtained from trona rock by processing it. It is an alkaline compound which is mainly used for baking. It’s also accompanied with a variety of household uses along with its health benefits. Nowadays baking soda is used to whiten your teeth, as the beautiful smile with white teeth speaks a lot about one’s individual personality. Now let us have a look, how to whiten teeth with baking soda?
Does Baking Soda Whiten Teeth?
- Yup, Baking soda does it. Its considered as a perfect and an efficacious way to whiten your teeth.
- It is a mild abrasive which helps to remove the stains from your teeth.
- Baking soda holds off a good task by eliminating tooth surface stains.
- Many kinds of toothpaste and tooth-whitening products add baking soda as one of its ingredients. Thus baking soda kicks off stains thereby whitens teeth.
How To Brush Your Teeth With Baking Soda?
This section guides, how to whiten teeth with baking soda? by providing you with the way of brushing your teeth.
Step 1: Take a few amounts of baking soda in a bowl.
Step 2: Mix it with water. You can go with other ingredients such as lemon, apple cider vinegar etc..
Step 3: Mix well to form a paste to have an ease of application.
Step 4: Now have this paste in your toothbrush or with your finger.
Step 5: Dry the tooth surface with a piece of cotton before applying the paste for effective results.
Step 6: Apply this paste on the particular tooth and let it be there for 2 minutes.
Step 7: Give a gentle scrub over the tooth surface using a toothbrush or with your finger to get rid of the stains.
Step 8: For an all-inclusive whitening effect, just brush the tooth with baking soda paste using a toothbrush.
Step 9: Brush for not more than 2 minutes as it might abrade the enamel leading to sensitivity.
Step 10: Then spit out the baking soda and rinse.
Step 11: You can rinse your mouth using mouthwash as the taste of baking soda seems to be unpleasant.
Step 12: Repeat this procedure for alternative days and continue it for a couple of weeks to see observable results.
Do not use the baking soda often in order to avoid the enamel damage. After a few weeks, just brush it once or twice in a week. Before starting with this home remedy for whitening your teeth, have a consultation with the dentist as the usage of baking soda with an abrasive effect contraindicates for the persons having enamel demineralization. Be aware of it!
Baking Soda And Lemon For Teeth Whitening
Instead of mixing baking soda with water, you can add lemon juice to baking soda for an effective result. When it is mixed with lemon juice, this baking soda paste acts as an outstanding tool against the formation of plaque.
Lemon juice contains citric acid which has an excellent bleaching effect. This property of the lemon juice along with the baking soda helps to whiten your teeth effectively. This becomes a good remedy for the stains in your tooth.
Lets have a glance at the procedure.
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of baking soda
- Take a small bowl.
- Have a tablespoon of lemon juice in the bowl.
- Now add one tablespoon of baking soda to it.
- Mix it to a fine paste.
- Have this mixture in your toothbrush.
- Give a gentle brushing on your teeth.
- Mainly focus on the areas with high stains.
- Don’t brush for more than 2 minutes.
- Rinse with plain water.
Don’t use this remedy often as the mixture of citric acid and baking soda is quite strong enough. You can repeat it once in 2 or 3 months.
Other Substitutes With Baking Soda For Teeth Whitening
You can add other ingredients along with baking soda for teeth whitening.
- Baking soda with sea salt.
- Baking soda with apple cider vinegar.
- Baking soda with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Baking soda with strawberries.
- Baking soda with toothpaste.
- Baking soda with coconut oil.
- Baking soda with toothpaste and hydrogen peroxide.
Disadvantages Of Brushing Teeth With Baking Soda
Always be conscious of the side effects of any particular material or products which you are going to use. If you are about to use baking soda for teeth whitening, then aware of its associated side effects.
- Enamel is the outer coating of the tooth surface. Baking soda abrades the enamel, leading to sensitivity.
- Lacks fluoride which prevents the tooth from caries by remineralization.
- It doesn’t ward off the plaque and also lacks the potential to kill bacteria over the tooth surface which aids in the formation of plaque.
- The usage of baking soda paste alone is not pleasing. You must also go with the normal toothpaste as the baking soda paste doesn’t have the anti-cavity effect and the fluorides.
- Baking soda softens the glue of the orthodontic braces, so the persons under orthodontic treatment must avoid the usage of baking soda.
- Baking soda even causes gingival problems.
- It leaves an unpleasant taste after brushing and also needs mouthwash for rinsing to get rid of its disagreeable taste.
- Still brushing teeth with baking soda has been approved by the American Dental Association (ADA).
The Correct Way Of Cleaning Teeth With Baking Soda
There is a right way to whiten your teeth with baking soda to avoid its consequences and it is as follows.
- Just give a gentle brushing with low brushing force. Don’t scrub it.
- Use an only soft toothbrush or go with the kids’ toothbrush.
- You can reduce the effect of abrasives in baking soda by diluting it with equal amounts of water.
- Limit your usage. Use once or twice per week and don’t use it regularly.
- You must have your brushing with regular toothpaste too, as baking soda doesn’t have the potential to kill bacteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can we combat with the displeasing taste?
You can combat the disagreeable taste by just mixing the baking soda with a pinch of peppermint extract to reap its stimulating flavor.
2. Does baking soda help with halitosis?
Halitosis is bad breath which is caused by the microorganisms present in the oral cavity and also from the acid-residues of food which gets stick over the tooth, gums, tongue etc., Baking soda has the potential to balance the levels of acid present over there, preventing halitosis.
3. Does baking soda kick off only surface stains?
Yes, baking soda removes the stains which are superficial. It does not remove the deeper stains. In this case, you need to consult with the dentist for the removal of deeper stains using cosmetic dentistry.
4. Will baking soda removes plaque along with stains?
Yes, baking soda also removes plaque along with the stains. Apply baking soda on the teeth with plaque and scrub it over that area. This helps in removing plaque along with the stains.
5. What is the reason behind stains?
Having the habit of drinking coffee, red wine any forms of tobacco usage like smoking, pan, tobacco chewing and stuffing it, chewing of betel leaves along with betel nut, excess fluoride content in drinking water, naturally some bacteria in the oral cavity might cause stains over the tooth surface and its named as chromogenic bacteria. All these agents can cause tooth discoloration and stains.
Only a bright smile offers you a great look. Also, the teeth behind your smile speaks. Having white teeth improves your smile along with your confidence. This article gives you a good understanding of, how to whiten teeth with baking soda. We hope this home treatment of using baking soda for teeth lends a hand to have a great smile!