Oral hygiene is one of the most important aspects of your daily health regime. We often cater to nature based products for our cosmetics or household kitchen ingredients. Organic is the latest trend and we leave no stone unturned to cater to our beauty and health. Have you ever wondered How to Make DIY Homemade Toothpaste? Ever wondered why do we still buy those sparkling gel or crystal toothpaste for ourselves and our family? It funny that we think of our internal health or external beauty and ignore the basic oral hygiene that constitutes a major portion of our overall health.
Click here to know the Health Benefits of Pineapple in detail…
Mainstream commercial brands of toothpaste contain harsh chemicals that can destroy the enamel of your teeth and also harm your gums. Like all other natural skin treatment or kitchen household ingredients that can be made at home, healthy toothpaste can also be made at home.
If you wish to know Pomegranate benefits, have a look at the Top 10 Health Benefits of Pomegranate.
Ingredients to Use While Making Homemade Toothpaste
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil toothpaste is one of the easiest toothpaste you can make at home. Coconut oil helps reduce cavity causing bacteria and boost the microbiome in the gut. It is also known to prevent candida occurrence in the mouth.
2. Baking soda
Baking soda toothpaste is yet simple and effective toothpaste that can be an easy replacement to the commercial toothpaste available in the market. Our mouth is constantly attacked by the acid content present in the food we eat. Baking soda is known for its alkalinity and neutralizes the pH in the mouth.
Do you know nuts are beneficial to maintain healthy lifestyle? Let’s know the amazing health benefits of nuts…
3. Bentonite Clay
Bentonite clay is a natural polisher which is rich in minerals. It gives the white shine to your teeth that other commercial toothpastes promise. This homemade teeth whitening paste is not abrasive and neutralizes the acid content in your mouth
Xylitol is a natural sweetener that helps reduce the bacteria that causes cavity in your teeth. When choosing to make your own natural toothpaste at home, you can add Xylitol to give the natural sweetness in your toothpaste.
5. Essential oils
Essential oils like cinnamon oil helps in fighting gingivitis and plaque. It is an essential ingredient that needs to be added in your toothpaste for brushing and flossing. You can also add peppermint oil for taste and flavour.
We will tell you Unexpected Benefits of Coconut Oil that you ever realize before…
Apart from these main ingredients keep aside fine salt and water to add according to taste and consistency. All these ingredients put together make a wonderful natural toothpaste recipe.
Ingredients to Avoid
1. Hydrogen Peroxide
Many commercial brands use Hydrogen Peroxide for artificial whitening of teeth. However in the longer run, not just that it is ineffective, it also destroys the enamel coating of your teeth. Hydrogen peroxide contains free radicals that damage the soft tissues, teeth and gums in the mouth.
2. Acidic ingredients
As the teeth are already under constant attack with the acidic content of the food we consume, it is very important that we avoid using any acidic ingredient from the household or buy any commercial acidic ingredients that contain additional harsh chemicals.
Did you know the health benefits of seeds? You will love to know the health enriching seeds…
How to Make Homemade Toothpaste?
To follow this natural toothpaste recipe, bring together the following ingredients-
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 to 3 table spoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay
- 1 tsp of peppermint oil or cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops of myrrh extract (optional)
- Fine salt
Instructions to Make DIY Homemade Toothpaste –
- Melt the coconut oil. If you are using semi-hard coconut oil, you can take a spoon to scoop the portion off.
- Mix in the other ingredients except baking soda and stir well. Stir continuously till a thick paste is formed.
- Now slowly add baking soda to the mixture and stir well
- Allow the mixture to cool for few hours
- Pour the mixture into a small air tight container
- Your DIY toothpaste is all ready to use now. While using, dip the toothbrush into the mixture and scrape the quantity you require.
Don’t miss to read the Banana Health benefits that you never know before…
Benefits of Homemade Toothpaste
- No Harsh Chemicals: Conventional and commercial toothpastes have anti-bacterial chemicals called triclosan that in the longer run damage the enamel of the teeth. However, natural toothpaste do not contain these harmful chemicals and are completely safe made directly from natural ingredients
- More effective: Commercial toothpastes proclaim that they have anti-bacterial properties, but with regular usage they develop resistance and its efficiency reduces. Natural ingredients are known to effectively fight cavity causing bacteria and reduce plaque formation.
- No foam: Toothpaste available in the market contains foaming agents or surfactants like sodium laurel sulphate that causes foam when you use the toothpaste. These agents in turn interfere with your taste buds by breaking down the phospholipids present on your tongue. However organic toothpaste recipes maintain the phospholipid content on your tongue and have anti-bacterial properties.
- Inexpensive: Last but not the least; cost is a very important factor. Commercial toothpastes are not just harmful but also expensive. Homemade natural toothpaste is more effective and far less expensive and easy on your pocket.
If you wish to know the health benefits of Kiwi in detail, please click here to know more…
Does Homemade Toothpaste Really Work?
Yes, there are proven benefits of homemade toothpaste when compared to commercial toothpastes available in the market. These natural toothpaste recipes are easier to prepare and more effective in the longer run. Homemade toothpastes have shown to significantly reduce plaque formation, reduce candida formation and fight cavity causing bacteria. It also helps in re-mineralizing and bringing natural whitening to your teeth. Natural ingredients in the toothpaste also protect the natural enamel of your teeth and gums from infection.
Let us know what could be the flaxseeds benefits and you will be amazed to know that…
Oral hygiene plays a vital role in your day to day life. It is most important to remember that nature has the best solution to your health including oral hygiene. As much as we take care of our external beauty, it is important that we also pay attention to overall oral health. Going the safe way and resorting to all natural toothpaste is the ideal solution for teeth and gum care. Not only is it healthy, it’s also inexpensive and a fun filled experience too! You can make any quantity you desire for yourself and your family. These natural ingredients do not have any expiry. Say goodbye to expensive toothpastes!