With the advent of health consciousness, one of the seeds that are gaining importance is flaxseeds or known as Alasi in Hindi. Flaxseeds are considered one of the powerful plants on the planet. It is considered to reduce the risk of heart diseases, stroke, diabetes and cancer because it is a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants. Such a small seed and so many benefits in them? Let us know what could be the flaxseeds benefits and I am sure you will be amazed to know Health and beauty benefits of flaxseeds.
What are The Ways of Using Flaxseeds?
- Flaxseeds, when eaten whole, can pass through the digestive tract undigested and it will not be able to impart health benefits. It is always beneficial when we ground flaxseeds using the coffee grinders.
- Flaxseed is an ingredient that is added in whole grain bread, pasta, crackers or baked products. Make sure when you buy products containing flax seeds, check the label to see whether ground flax seeds are added and not whole grain.
- It is preferable to store ground flaxseeds in a freezer. Freeze ground flaxseeds in a sealable plastic bag so that the seeds don’t lose its potency.
- Substitute ground flaxseeds for flour in the preparation of muffins, bread, pancakes, and waffles. If the recipe calls for 2 or more cups of flour, replace about 1/4th or ½ cup of flour with ground flaxseeds.
- While adding flax seeds powder to any dish, do not the powder directly in the oil as it can destroy the nutty flavor of the seeds and it can lose its nutritional importance.
Check out this article for more amazing fenugreek seeds benefits for overall health...
There is evidence where flaxseeds are beneficial for skin. It enhances the tone of the skin thus making it beautiful and smooth.
Can I Include Flaxseeds in the Face Mask?
Of course yes! Flaxseeds are included in the face mask. It is considered as the vegan substitute for eggs. Hence, if you are a vegan or allergic to eggs this flaxseed face mask can be made.
1. Flaxseeds Face Mask for Brighter and Softer Skin
- Take 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseeds in a bowl.
- Soak this powder with 3 teaspoon water for 15 minutes. This mixture will become sticky in consistency.
- Apply this mask on the face directly, avoiding the eyes area or mouth area. Wait for the mask to dry up completely.
- After about 10 minutes, rinse off the mask with lukewarm water and splash your face with cold water. Pat dry with the towel.
- If you have an excess of the mask, you can keep it in the fridge but please use it within 3 to 4 days.
2. Flaxseeds and Honey Face Mask
- Combine 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds, 1 tablespoon honey and ¼ cup warm water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for 25 minutes. Rinse the pack with water and towel dry.
- The exfoliating effect of flaxseeds and presence of antioxidants in honey help in restoring the skin’s natural texture.
- We came to know how flaxseeds can be utilized in the diet as well as part of the face pack.
Now we need to know what are the Flaxseeds Benefits for health as well as for skin.
What are The Health Benefits of Flax Seeds?
1. Flax Seeds Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Flaxseeds have the protective effect against breast cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer. Omega 3 fatty acids called Alpha Linolenic Acid, present in flaxseeds can prevent the growth of cancerous cells thus disrupting the malignant cells from attaching to the body cells. Apart from this, Flaxseeds also contain lignan that interferes with the growth and spread of tumor cells.
Don’t miss to read Health Benefits of Garlic, that you did not know before!
2. Flax Seeds Help Fight Heart Diseases
Flaxseeds, by virtue of the presence of omega 3 fatty acids in them, are protective against cardiovascular diseases. Flaxseeds help in controlling the cholesterol levels. The presence of Omega 3 fatty acids, lignans and fiber have beneficial effects on lowering cholesterol. Lignan present in flaxseeds help in reducing the atherosclerotic plaque buildup and the Omega 3 fatty acids help in maintaining the heart’s natural rhythm.
3. Flaxseeds are Beneficial for People with Diabetes
Consuming flaxseeds improve the blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics due to the presence of lignin. Flax is a low glycemic food and helps to stabilize blood sugar levels for the longer period of time. Being a good source of fiber, flaxseeds help to feel fuller.
4. Flaxseeds Help to Reduce Inflammation
Flaxseeds are beneficial for people suffering from arthritis and Parkinson’s disease as it can block the release of inflammatory agents by virtue of the presence of Omega 3 fatty acids, lignin, and Alpha Linolenic acid. Apart from these, flaxseeds also help to relieve menopausal symptoms, hot flashes and promote digestive health.
What are The Flaxseeds Benefits For Beauty!?
Flax Seeds and flaxseed oil are the richest plant source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds or flaxseed oil should be stored refrigerated in the dark. Avoid cooking the flaxseed oil. Simply rub flaxseed oil on your face or add flax seeds into your daily diet either as the topping before serving or an addition into a snack or baked products.
To know the health benefits of curry leaves, that you did not know before, please click here to read more…
Let us know what the flaxseeds benefits in terms of beauty are:
1. Flaxseeds Keep the Skin Moisturized
The presence of essential fatty acids in flaxseeds keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized. The intake of these seeds improves the body’s oil production and the presence of fatty acids keeps the skin soft. Flaxseeds are normally are present in moisturizer as they keep the irritants from entering the pores. Applying the flaxseed oil can lock the water in the skin there is the prevention of water loss. A moisturized skin prevents an appearance of wrinkles.
2. Flaxseeds Enhance the Health of the Skin
Flaxseeds help the skin from drying out and reduce the incidence of certain skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, and aging. It prevents the skin from looking dull and worn out.
Have you ever noticed aloe vera uses for acne? You must read benefits of aloe vera for skin…
3. Flaxseeds Help in Skin Healing
The presence of Omega 3 fatty acids helps the flaxseeds to become an anti-inflammatory agent. Hence, irritation of skin, skin rashes and reddishness are reduced when we use flaxseeds.
Apart from these flaxseeds benefits, it also help in reducing the formation of free radicals in the body which can otherwise lead to cancer-related to the skin. Thus there are so many flaxseeds benefits, then why not we make a point to include flaxseeds in our diet?
Hence let’s make efforts to add flaxseeds in our favorite juice, energy drinks or smoothies or sprinkle in salads or baked products.