Scientific research has shown that there are an amazing number of coconut oil benefits for skin, hair and health and coconut oil uses. It is without a doubt one of the most magical ingredients in the world. You can use it in a variety of DIY recipes ranging from moisturizers to toothpaste. This versatile oil can be found in many health and beauty products because of its healing qualities. It has medium-chain fatty acids that have anti-fungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties and they are also rich in antioxidants that offer protection to your skin. If you do not already, you should definitely keep a jar of this magical oil at home.
Coconut Oil Uses
You can use coconut oil in numerous natural DIY products including face cream, body lotion, hand cream, hand and body scrub, soap, lip balm, toothpaste, and mascara, just to name a few. Here is a look at super-simple yet incredibly beneficial recipes that use coconut oil.
1. Lavender and Coconut Oil Face Moisturizer Recipe
One of the most common coconut oil uses is for the skin. It is great for dry skin because of its natural moisturizing properties. It nourishes and protects the skin throughout the year, giving you soft and supple skin. A DIY moisturizer is one of the easiest things to make, and you can gain all the benefits of coconut oil when you treat your skin to a dollop of it every day.
All you need is-
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Vitamin E oil – 2 capsules
- Lavender essential oil – 10 drops (make sure to use therapeutic grade only)
Don’t miss to read Aloe vera benefits for skin and body…
- First, put the coconut oil into a jar and melt it by putting the jar into a saucepan with hot water.
- Once it has melted, pierce the two Vitamin E capsules and squeeze out the oil into the jar of coconut oil.
- Mix them well together.
- Next, add the essential oil and make sure that all the ingredients blend well.
That is it! Now, all you need to do is use your homemade moisturizer any time your skin feels parched. Coconut oil uses for skin care has many benefits and the Vitamin E oil in this recipe gives your skin extra nourishment. Both these oils also keep wrinkles, dark spots and other signs of aging at bay. Lavender oil too has many amazing effects on the skin, including disinfecting the skin and treating various skin disorders. Coconut oil uses for face will keep your skin looking radiant all year.
2. Coconut Oil Toothpaste Recipe
Yes, you can make your own toothpaste with coconut oil and once you start using this all-natural alternative to commercial ones, you will never go back! Making your own coconut oil toothpaste is super-simple.
All you need is –
- Coconut oil – 6 tablespoons
- Baking soda – 6 tablespoons
- Essential oil – 25 drops (you can use peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, grapefruit or orange)
- Stevia – 1 teaspoon (you can add more if you want it sweeter)
- First, mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Make sure that you whip them well together until you get a texture that is light and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a jar and seal it until you need to use it.
Simple, isn’t it? The best thing about this is that it does not contain fluoride like store-bought products. Now, you can get clean pearly whites with healthy and delicious all-natural toothpaste!
You must read Best Foods for Healthy Gums and Strong Teeth
3. Coconut Oil Eczema Cream Recipe
Eczema can cause a lot of discomfort for little ones. While topical creams do not cure the problem, they can provide relief from the irritation and itchiness. While the digestive tract is healing with the help of medication, you can use a safe and natural cream to relieve discomfort with a coconut oil eczema cream. It is one of the best coconut oil uses and simple to make.
All you need is –
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Shea butter – ¼ cup
- Lavender essential oil – 15 drops (make sure that it is therapeutic grade)
- Tea tree oil – 5 drops (again, therapeutic grade only)
- Take a saucepan and fill it halfway with water and put it on medium heat. Do not boil.
- Take a mason jar and add the coconut oil and shea butter.
- Place the jar in the saucepan and allow the two ingredients to melt.
- Once they have melted, take the jar out of the saucepan and allow it cool slightly.
- Next, add the essential oils and mix well.
- Now you can put the jar in the fridge so that the mixture firms up.
- If you prefer a lotion, put the mixture into a mixer and blend on high until it looks like whipped butter.
Shea butter is rich in Vitamin A which is great for many skin conditions including eczema. Coconut oil combats bacteria and fungi, keeping the skin clean and its medium chain triglycerides moisturize and protect the skin. Lavender and tea tree essential oils boost skin wellness. The coconut oil uses for skin have always been well-known and now you can use it to give your little one relief from eczema!
4. Coconut Oil Hair Leave-In Conditioner Recipe
A coconut oil hair treatment can strengthen your tresses and protect it against damage from products and the environment. You can also use coconut oil for hair growth. Making your own hair conditioner at home is easy and you can gain all the benefits that this wonderful oil has to offer.
All you need is –
- Coconut oil – 1 cup
- Pure aloe vera juice (or aloe vera leaf extract) – 2 tablespoons
- Sunflower seed oil – 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable glycerin – 1 teaspoon
- Lavender essential oil – 12 drops
- Pure vanilla extract – 8 drops
- Mix all the ingredients, excluding the lavender essential oil, together in a blender until smooth.
- Once you get a smooth consistency, add the essential oil and mix well.
Pure coconut oil uses for hair is known to have many benefits including fighting dandruff and boosting healthy hair growth. If you do not have time to oil your hair due to a hectic schedule, you can make this fantastic leave-in conditioner to treat dry, brittle tresses that need extra nourishment. You can make use of coconut oil for hair with this fragrant leave-in conditioner that has the additional goodness of all the other ingredients.
5. Coconut Oil Soap Recipe
Making coconut oil soap is a fantastic idea, especially since a large number of soaps that are on the market contain ingredients that should really not come into contact with the skin. The good news is that DIY soaps are incredibly easy and you do not need a lot of other ingredients. Gain all the benefits of coconut oil on the skin with this super-easy homemade coconut oil soap.
All you need is-
- Coconut oil – 33 ounces
- Almond or olive oil – 20% of the amount of coconut oil
- Lye – 4.8 ounces
- Water – 9.6 ounces
- Essential oil – 1.5 ounces (you can use a spicy, crisp blend by mixing .5ounce cedarwood, .3ounce lavender, .4ounce rosemary and .3ounce black pepper essential oils)
- First, make your lye solution and keep it safely aside.
- Melt the oils in the microwave or stove top.
- Get your lye solution and oils to about 100 degrees and then mix them together.
- Make sure that the three ingredients are thoroughly blended together.
- Next, add in the blend of essential oils and continue to blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a soap mold.
- Unmold in 12 to 18 hours. It is best to leave it overnight to ensure that the soap mixture has hardened properly.
As you can see, making your own soap at home is simple and does not too much time at all. Now you can say goodbye to store-bought soaps and hello to soft, beautiful skin with healthy, all-natural soap that is creamy and luxurious.
Making DIY coconut oil beauty and health products at home is surprisingly easy. With the right ingredients, you can make wonderful products that are safer and healthier alternatives to those that you find on the market. Now start gathering those DIY recipes and make your own skin and hair care essentials at home!