Amazing Benefits of Yogurt for Health, Skin and Hair!
For years, Yogurt or sometimes called ‘curd’ as well, has been a part of our daily diet, thus contributing towards good health and also a part of the beauty regime, resulting in beautiful skin and gorgeous hair. In this post, we will discuss in detail the amazing benefits of yogurt for health, skin, and hair.
What is Yogurt?
Yogurt is a traditional dish that is normally made at home which can be consumed as it is or it is accompanied with our meal. Certain authentic recipes have yogurt as one of the ingredients. This improves the taste, the feel of the food and also enhances the flavor of dishes.
Yogurt is made by fermentation of milk by a bacterial culture which contains lactic acid producing culture, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophillus. The fermentation of the sugar present in milk called lactose to lactic acid acts on the protein in the milk thus providing texture and a characteristic sour taste. It is loaded with calcium and vitamins that make yogurt an essential addition in our everyday diet.
Do you know why we opt for papaya treatment to enhance the glow of the skin? Let’s see the details here…
Health Benefits of Yogurt
- Regular consumption of yogurt supports gastrointestinal health, alleviates constipation and diarrhea, prevents inflammatory bowel diseases, colon cancer.
- Yogurt improves the immune system and reduces the possibility of allergies and infections.
- Yogurt when applied topically gives a glow to the skin cures acne and skin rashes and diminishes dark circles. It is useful for hair, gives a healthy sheen, and reduces dandruff and itchy scalp.
Benefits of Yogurt for Healthy Glowing Skin
Yogurt is a natural ingredient which can be included in the diet as well as can be applied directly on the face. Yogurt has antibacterial and antifungal properties and it helps in removing various acne producing bacteria, germs and fungus within the body due to its acidic nature.
The powerful nutrients which are present in yogurt that help in promoting a healthy and glowing skin are –
1. Lactic Acid in Yogurt Helps to Remove Dead Cells of Skin
The lactic acid present in yogurt smoothens the skin and prevents the appearance of wrinkles. It rejuvenates the skin and removes the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
2. Zinc in Yogurt is Helpful to Reduce Blemishes and Scars
Zinc present in yogurt cools the harsh effects of sunburn. Zinc can tighten the tissues and work as a mild astringent. It also has anti-inflammatory properties because of it can reduce the swellings that are caused due to acne and rashes. Zinc in curd can also reduce the blemishes and reduce the redness that occurs due to acne scar or marks left after the insect bite
3. Benefits of Yogurt : Calcium in Yogurt For Premature Aging
Calcium is an antioxidant; hence it can show resistance towards premature aging and fine wrinkling. It plays an important role in cell turnover and maintaining a protective lipid barrier. Hence, it facilitates skin renewal and maintains a proper lipid level of the skin.
We bring for you top 10 home remedies for anti-aging. Please have a look…
4. Benefits of Yogurt : B Vitamins to Prevent Acne
B vitamins are capable of preventing acne and improving the blood circulation. Yogurt is a provider of B vitamin, namely Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), B12 and B5. B vitamins hydrate the skin and keep it glowing. These vitamins protect the skin from the oxidative damage that occurs due to the free radicals.
Apart from these important nutrients, yogurt is rich in protein, Vitamin D and probiotics that can boost our health not only from inside but also can improve the tone of skin, moisturize and smoothen it. Along with skin, yogurt can do wonders on our hair. It can be used to condition our hair, thus improving the glow and soft sheen of the hair.
Benefits of Yogurt for Shining Hair
- Yogurt is packed with protein and Calcium. Our hair is made up of protein; hence protein rich foods in our daily diet can act as a boost to hair growth and health of the hair.
- Yogurt can be helpful for women suffering from hair loss. Sometimes hair loss can be caused due to certain gastrointestinal problems. Again yogurt helps to improve the digestion and support gastrointestinal health as it contains acidophilus culture.
- It is rich in Calcium, a nutrient that is essential for the avoidance of hair loss and enhancing the growth of the hair.
- Having a cup of curd doesn’t mean that your hair is going to grow long rapidly and instantly, but having yogurt regularly can improve the strength of the hair making it healthy.
- Yogurt can be made a part of beauty regimen for skin and hair, making our skin supple and moisturized and giving a soft sheen to the hair.
Do you crave for those long, shiny and silky curls? You must try these Homemade DIY shampoos…
How to Use Yogurt for Skin and Hair?
Use of Curd for Skin –
- Gently spread a thin layer of unsweetened yogurt on your face in a circular pattern. Allow it to settle on the skin for 10 minutes. And then rinse thoroughly. The lactic acid present in yogurt will make your skin soft and hydrated.
- Mix 2 tbsp. Yogurt with few drops of lime juice and leave it on the skin for 30 minutes. This will get rid of skin discoloration because of bleaching effects of yogurt if applied regularly.
- Make a paste of grated cucumber and yogurt. Apply this paste generously on the face and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. This yogurt face pack is applied to prevent aging as yogurt works as a firming agent on the skin and cucumber has a cooling effect that can tighten the facial pores. This is a Best homemade face mask of yogurt for glowing skin.
Use of Curd for Hair –
- Coat the hair with smooth yogurt. Cover the hair with the towel and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash the hair with shampoo. Yogurt will condition the hair and will leave the hair moisturized.
- Prepare a paste of yogurt and ground fenugreek seeds. Apply it on the scalp and leave it for 45 minutes. This pack can reduce the hair fall. This is great hair pack of yogurt for all hair problems!
How to Choose Best Yogurt?
Yogurt made at home is just a combination of milk with live culture. But buying yogurt from the shop requires a checklist of certain points.
- Prefer low-fat or nonfat varieties of yogurt than full fat. Low fat has 50 calories lesser than full fat and nonfat varieties have approximately 70 calories less than full fat.
- Scan the ingredients before buying yogurt. The lesser the ingredients, basically only milk and live culture, the better the product.
- Flavored yogurts are being popular over the counter. However, flavored yogurt comes with toppings and is loaded with added sugar. A single portion of yogurt should have 150 calories or less. I would suggest you to buy plain yogurt and make your own topping by adding fresh fruits, honey or dry fruits.
Hence a natural beauty product for the skin, a hair conditioner, a healthy food or an accompaniment in diet that’s what yogurt is for you.