Table of Contents Hide
- Origin of Fennel
- Fennel Seed Benefits For Health
- Fennel Seed Benefits For Respiratory and Digestive Problems
- How to Prepare The Fennel Herbal Tea?
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Fennel seeds are one of the commonly used spices in every Indian home. These small seeds are good to taste and are often taken post meals to stimulate proper digestion of food. It is also used as a mouth freshener and as a natural antacid. It has medicinal properties and has several health benefits. We will see here some of the important fennel seed benefits.
In Ayurveda, it is considered to be a natural medicine for Respiratory and Digestive problems. It is equally found useful for constipation, blood pressure, anaemia and even cancer. Fennel seed benefits are considered to be a blessing in disguise.
Origin of Fennel
Fennel owes its origin to Europe and the Mediterranean. Interestingly, Fennel was initially known by the name of Marathon. The reason behind it, being that in 400 B.C, a war was fought between the Greeks and the Persians. It was known as the battle of Marathons and was actually fought on a Fennel field.
Fennel is a perennial herb and was initially grown in the Mediterranean region. Today it is cultivated in various parts of the world including countries like India, China, France, Hungary, Greece and many more. It is one of the essential ingredients of Chinese spice.
Very few people know that the leaves and the shoots of the fennel herb are edible along with the fruit which is the fennel seeds. This concept was first discovered by the Romans. There is also a lesser known fact about this herb. Serpents and snake when they cast off their old skin feed and rub themselves on the Fennel herb. This helps to improve their eyesight. It is believed that this marvellous herb has 22 home remedies to cure various ailments.
We bring you 7 health boosters in the forms of seeds. Let’s get to know these…
Fennel Seed Benefits For Health
Fennel is believed to be a wonder herb and has immense health benefits. Let us discuss Fennel seed benefits for health.
As Fennel is rich in iron, it helps in the production of haemoglobin in the body. This in turn helps to cure Anaemia.
It is a common practice to chew fennel seeds immediately after meals. The main reason being, it helps to digest the food. It is equally useful if you are suffering from indigestion. It helps to secrete the digestive juices which help to absorb the nutrients present in the food.
Fennel has been found to be very useful in constipation. It acts as a laxative in powdered form and helps to flush toxins from the body. It helps in the bowel movement and also promotes secretion of bile and other enzymes. It serves as a medicine in diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
4. Blood Pressure
Fennel helps to control high blood pressure. It has a high content of potassium in it which is responsible for thinning of the blood, releases tension of blood capillaries and vessels and prevents cholesterol deposits in the artery.
Fennel seeds have antibacterial properties and bacterial infection is the main reason behind diarrhoea. Consuming fennel seeds regularly prevent the occurrence of diarrhoea and also help to cure disease by killing the bacteria.
6. Menstrual Disorders
Fennel is excellent for women and helps them during menstrual cycles. It not only relieves pain but also eases the menstrual cycle by regulating the hormones. It provides relief from severe menstrual cramps.
We will discuss here unimaginable secrets no one ever tells you about menopause…
Fennel Seed Benefits For Respiratory and Digestive Problems
Fennel can be consumed directly or taken as a tea to heal various respiratory or digestive problems. The fennel tea is found to be more effective in several health ailments.
Drinking Fennel tea on a regular basis clears sore throat and helps in the respiratory process. It clears blocked respiratory passages, loosens phlegm from respiratory tracts and ensures a normal breathing. In case you have blocked nose, asthma, breathing problems, inflammation in the respiratory tract, Fennel herbal tea is most effective.
As far as digestive problems are concerned, Fennel tea helps to get rid of constipation. The tea promotes the secretion of essential enzymes and also eases the bowel movements. It is considered to be liver friendly and helps to flush the toxins and waste products from the body. The Fennel herbal tea acts as a diuretic and is equally good for the kidneys.
How to Prepare The Fennel Herbal Tea?
We now know the benefits of Fennel tea and how it can be useful for our well being. The tea can be easily prepared at home.
- Fennel seeds
- Take two large spoons of Fennel seeds.
- Crush these seeds either in a grinder or use a mortar and pestle to crush the seeds.
- In a container, add water and bring it to boiling point.
- Add the powdered fennel seeds to the container.
- Allow it to boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Let it steep for few more minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add few drops of honey and enjoy your Fennel herbal tea.
Some Tips –
- First and foremost, ensure that the Fennel seeds are completely dry. Do not use wet seeds for crushing.
- It is always better to allow the solution to steep by covering the container with a lid. It is believed that the essential nutrients of Fennel are preserved.
- You can also add few drops of lemon and cardamom to make it a flavoured herbal tea.
You can drink this tea multiple times in a day but preferably drink it twice in a day, once during the morning and other during the evening time for effectiveness.
You will love to know amazing & very effective homemade medicinal tea’s that you must try…
- If a person is on medication or being treated for diseases like cancer and seizures, then it is always better to take the advice of the doctor before adopting the herbal tea.
- In case a person is allergic to vegetables like carrots and celery, then it is not advisable for them to drink the Fennel herbal tea as they many develop new allergies.
Overall Fennel seeds and Fennel herbal tea is considered to be safe and most of us are benefitted from the same.
It is always better to adopt herbal and natural treatment as compared to medicines. Nature has all the required ingredients in store with it which is very useful to human beings and Fennel is one such gift from nature. We only need to know how to use them in the correct way to get rid of several ailments.
Hope you have found this fennel seed benefits article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.