Some Quick Facts About Anxiety
- Anxiety comes in different variations like social anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, agoraphobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, some phobias, OCD, etc.
- It can lead to some physical problems like a panic attack, headache, breathing problems, increase in heartbeats, nausea, dizziness, etc.
- Anxiety is a common mental illness that is found in every 6 out of 10 individuals.
- No doubt the health issue is treatable with the help of medications and therapies, people yet don’t receive the treatment and suffer from it.
- Worrying about small things in life is a normal state of anxiety everyone faces.
- Women are at higher risk of having anxiety disorders as compared to men.
- Anxiety in serious conditions can lead to other physical health issues.
- Anxiety can also affect people who come from a family having a history of anxiety.
- Anxiety can be treated and managed effectively.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety treatment is the most demanded treatment for other mental disorders. It is a normal health issue that is faced by various people in day to day life for both small and big issues.
Thinking what is anxiety? Have you ever felt nervous or worried while carrying out any task, appearing for a difficult paper, etc.? In scientific terms, this mental status faced by the people is known as anxiety. When the level of anxiety is from mild to medium, it helps in increasing your focus on particular task, motivation, and energy. On the other side, if the anxiety level is high, it may lead to serious issues like confusion, helplessness, panic attacks, etc. that can place you in any dangerous situation. This kind of anxiety mostly gets converted into depression, which is one of the most found symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety can also lead to other mental and physical symptoms which have a mild or serious impact on the human health.
What are The Physical Symptoms of Having Anxiety?
There are a number of symptoms of anxiety, among which, some physical symptoms are:
- Trembling of hands or other body parts
- Fullness in chest or throat
- Increase in heartbeat
- Over sweating
- Cold hands or moist hands
- Feeling restless
- Tension, swelling, or aches in muscle
- Getting tired easily
- Sleeping issues
- High blood pressure
What are The Mental Symptoms of Having Anxiety?
An anxiety attack is a condition which comes with an impact on the mental status of the individual which is used for communication. This may damage various functions of the body, among which some mental symptoms are:
- Getting irritated by minor problems
- Too much tension or worrying
- Having a fear of something bad to take place
- Lack of concentration of focus on particular work
- The feeling of a blank mind
What are The Reasons for Having Anxiety?
The list of reasons for anxiety includes various mental conditions and physical health issues. Similarly, there are some common medical causes of anxiety, of which some are:
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Phobic disorders
- Stress disorders
- Stress at work, school, home, etc.
- Stress in personal relationships
- Financial stress
- Emotional trauma like the death of someone near
- Stress due to serious medical conditions
- Medicinal side effects
- Intake of drugs like cocaine
- Medical conditions due to heart attack, hypoglycemia, heat stroke, etc.
- Lack of oxygen
- A blood clot in lung vessels
- The family history of anxiety or other mental conditions
What are The Different Types of Anxiety Disorders?
The anxiety treatment depends on the type of anxiety the individual is facing. Shocked! But this is true. There are various types of anxiety disorders just as there are a number of reasons for anxiety. Following are the different types of anxiety disorders:
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Specific Phobia
- Panic Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Medical causes of Anxiety
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Acute Stress Disorder
- Adjustment Disorder
- Selective Mutism
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Substance-Induced Anxiety
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Hoarding Disorder
What are The Natural Ways to Treat Anxiety?
Anxiety test comes up with various ways to cure it with ease. However, when it comes to anxiety treatment, there are various options to choose from like:
- Evidence-Based Therapies
- Complementary Therapy
- Alternative Therapy
- Emerging Therapies
No doubt, all these treatments are effective, people generally go for natural remedies for anxiety.The natural remedies to treat anxiety comes in four different categories that include diet, supplements, essential oils, and lifestyle.Here is how you can treat anxiety in a natural way.
Anxiety Treatment With Diet
1. Hygienic and Balanced Diet
According to various doctors, there is a deep connection between the mental condition of an individual and the diet that he intakes. When the diet includes too much of calories, it can lead to increase in the symptoms of anxiety along with other mental and emotional disorders. Thus, the doctors suggest some anti-inflammatory food items that are helpful in reducing the stress levels, indirectly the anxiety levels. Such ingredients are rich in Vitamin B, Omega-3, Calcium, Magnesium, etc. The list of ingredients includes:
- Fish like mackerel, salmon, white fish, tuna, herring, etc.
- Organic chicken
- Nutritional yeast
- Leafy veggies like kale, spinach, collard greens, chard, etc.
- Fresh vegetables like broccoli, artichokes, celery, beets, bok choy, etc.
- Fresh fruits like pineapple, blueberries, figs, bananas, etc.
- Sea vegetables
- Healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, etc.
- Beans like adzuki beans, black beans, fava beans, chickpeas, etc.
- Legumes like peas and lentils
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts, cashew nuts, etc.
- Seeds like flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, etc.
- Unrefined grains like barley, quinoa, farro, etc.
2. Say No to Processed Foods Sugary Foods
Food items rich in glycemia are also said to be one of the reasons for anxiety. High intake of sugar and other refined carbohydrates would increase and decrease the level of sugar in the body that can lead to fatigue, nervousness, and finally anxiety. Hence, if you are looking for ways to treat anxiety, it is important to bring your blood sugar levels to a normal state. For this, the individuals are recommended to avoid refined food items, baked items, cookies, pastries, sweet beverages, fried food items, fast food items, processed meat, refined grains, etc. Avoiding such eatables would help in reducing the anxiety levels to a great extent.
3. Limit The Intake of Alcohol and Caffeine
Yes, anxiety test has also declared that too much intake of caffeine and alcohol can have a major impact on the jitters, nervousness, and mood of an individual. No doubt, alcohol is a source of reducing anxiety or stress levels, however, too much of alcohol can also have an adverse impact on anxiety. It is hence, recommended by the doctors to limit the intake of alcohol to around 1 to 3 drinks in a week, for positive impact on the anxiety levels. Similarly, it is also important to have caffeine like tea, coffee, black tea, etc. in limited portion, as it may lead to anxiety attack symptoms like panic disorder, social anxiety, etc.
Treatment with Supplements
The anxiety treatment also includes some herbal supplements that are helpful in reducing the anxiety levels. Some of the herbal supplements that help in the treatment of anxiety include:
Ashwagandha is considered to be the best ingredient among other natural remedies for anxiety. The herb helps in stabilizing the body while it responds to stress levels, that indirectly helps in reducing anxiety. Going to the facts, Ashwagandha is not an anxiety reliever, but it protects the brain from getting degenerated and helps in improving the symptoms of anxiety. It damages all the free radicals that damage the body and the brain leading to anxiety. Ashwagandha has also helped in improving focus and reducing fatigue effectively without giving any side effects for those taking anti-anxiety medicines.
2. Kava Root
Some of the researchers have also announced that Kava Root has been much help in an anxiety attack. Kava is a herb that is non-addictive as well as non-hypnotic. Henceforth, it helps in improving the mood and boosts sociability by reducing anxiety. Kava activates the dopamine receptors by stimulating them and also induces the euphoria. There are various doctors also who suggest Kava for anxiety treatment, but make sure you consult your doctor before starting with it, as it may come with some mild side effects. The individuals taking Kava should also avoid alcohol as it may lead to other side effects like diarrhoea, drowsiness, headache, etc.
Popular by the name 5-HTP, this is one of the most effective supplements that helps in quick recovery from anxiety. Apart from anxiety, 5-HTP is also helpful in the treatment of other mental health issues like headaches, moodiness, insomnia, etc. The ingredient increases the serotonin level in the body which helps in calming the neurotransmitter signals that function between the alter brain and the nerve cells. The ingredient helps in regulating the mood and makes positive changes in sleeping hours or patterns. All these have a positive impact on the anxiety levels and helps in reducing anxiety in the form of an anti-depressant medication.
4. Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid
When the question what is anxiety arises, Gama Aminobutyric Acid, also known as GABA, is the popular supplement that helps in reducing anxiety. GABA works on the nervous system and helps in reducing the anxiety levels by providing relaxation to your muscles. The herb works in reducing the PMS, stabilization of blood pressure, relief from insomnia, burns fats, treatment of ADHD, etc., which indirectly works in reducing the anxiety levels. GABA works as an anti-anxiety drug which has an effective impact on the brain and helps in calming the anxiety levels. The herb is also available as a supplement in various local food ingredients and Vitamin stores.
Apart from all these, other natural remedies for anxiety includes Roman Chamomile, physical activities, lavender oil, proper rest, meditation, etc. are also helpful in reducing the stress levels or the anxiety levels in a natural way.
So, are you also ready to fight back against anxiety? Go for the natural ways of treating anxiety without any side effects.
Read Next – How To Beat Stress Effectively?