13 Best Coconut Oil Hair Masks for Rejuvenating Your Hair!
There is all manner of attractive chemical-based products that manufacturers offer to restore the beauty of your jaded and faded crowning glory! However, the best way to do it is by going in for an organic Coconut oil hair mask. It helps that Coconut oil is compatible with several different products, as outlined below.
- The amount mentioned for each ingredient is standard but may vary at times in alignment with the thickness or length of hair.
- Just ensure that the ingredients are sufficient to cover your hair for deep conditioning.
- Always apply/massage from the hair roots towards the hair tips.
- Even after mixing the different ingredients, they may separate slightly.
- Therefore, give the mixture a couple of swirls, prior to application.
- This will ensure that your hair receives healthy proportions of each ingredient.
- Use a natural pastry brush, cosmetic brush, or hair colouring brush to spread the mask over your hair.
- It helps to divide the hair into four sections.
- As you work on each section separately, you ensure an even spread of the mask.
- After using the brush, use your fingers as massagers in each section.
- After application, pile up your hair in the form of a bun and secure with a hair clip or hair tie.
- Cover the bun with a shower cap, clean towel, or a plastic grocery bag.
- Always use a natural and gentle shampoo.
- Rinse the hair with normal or lukewarm water.
Honey is the Main Ingredient
Honey is one of the most amazing gifts that the human hair has received from Mother Nature! It provides and retains moisture, thereby preventing hair fall and minimizing the formation of split ends. Your hair will shine and bounce, due to the presence of this natural emollient. Therefore, it is a major ingredient in a DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask.
Hair Mask #1
- Organic Coconut oil – two tablespoons
- Raw apple cider vinegar – one tablespoon
- Local honey – one tablespoon
- After warming the Coconut oil and honey slightly, albeit in separate containers, mix them in a bowl, along with apple cider vinegar.
- Allow the mask to remain for 15 to 20 minutes for normal hair, and an hour or so for extremely dry hair.
Apple cider vinegar has the same pH as human hair. Therefore, it serves to restore the acidity of your hair.
Hair Mask #2
- Coconut oil – one-fourth teaspoon
- Organic honey – a teaspoon
- A squeeze bottle (plastic)
- Microwave the Coconut oil and honey for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Remove the warm liquid and stir well, prior to pouring into a squeeze bottle.
- Bending over a sink, massage some amount of this mixture into your hair.
- Allow the mask to remain for 10 to 15 minutes, or more.
Hair Mask #3
For this third Coconut oil and honey hair mask, you will need –
- Coconut oil (extra virgin) – one tablespoon
- Coconut milk – two tablespoons (gives proteins)
- Raw honey – two tablespoons
- Ripe banana – one
- Reduce the banana to a pulp via mashing with a fork.
- Add the Coconut oil, Coconut oil, and raw honey to it.
- Blend well with the aid of a motorized blender.
- Let the mask remain for anywhere between half-an-hour to two hours.
Rich in minerals like potassium, etc, the banana serves to award strength to your hair, moisturize it, and keep its elasticity intact.
Coconut milk reduces itchiness, flakiness and dandruff. It also restores your hair’s sheen.
Hair Mask #4
You may keep this Coconut oil hair mask overnight. You will just need similar/dissimilar proportions of melted coconut oil and organic honey. The ratios depend upon how thick your hair is and how much damage it has incurred.
After blending the ingredients well, massage the mixture well into your hair. Remember to cover your head completely with a thick and old scarf. Go to sleep. Rinse your hair in the morning after shampooing.
This fruit, when utilised in preparing a Coconut oil mask for hair, will leave your hair feeling thick, soft and shiny. This is because it contains healthy amounts of vitamins, proteins and amino acids, perfect for moisturizing, soothing and rejuvenating the scalp.
Hair Mask #5
- Make a mixture of an avocado, two tablespoons of melted Coconut oil, and 10-20 drops of Rosemary essential oil.
- Blend them well in a food processor.
- After application, let the mask remain for 30 minutes or so.
Hair Mask #6
- Blend two avocados, 20 to 40 drops of Rosemary essential oil, and one-fourth cup of melted Coconut oil in a food processor.
- After application, leave the mask on for 20 minutes or so.
Rosemary essential oil is excellent for improving blood circulation within your scalp. This nourishes hair follicles and promotes faster growth.
Hair Mask #7
- Blend a combination of two tablespoons of melted Coconut oil, a ripe avocado and a ripe banana in a food processor.
- The mask may remain for 20 to 30 minutes on your hair.
Hair Mask #8
- Blend one-fourth cup of melted Coconut oil, one-fourth cup of Coconut milk, a tablespoon of avocado oil and an avocado.
- Add six drops of Clary sage (for stimulating the scalp).
- Add ten drops of Eucalyptus essential oil (for conditioning the hair).
- Mix well, apply, and keep on for 20 minutes or so.
- Comb through for detangling, prior to rinsing.
Eggs are Good for Hair
If you wish your hair roots to receive vital nutrients and proteins, go for the yellow yolk in eggs!
Hair Mask #9
For this Coconut oil and egg hair mask, you will need to whisk together in a bowl –
- A tablespoon of raw honey
- The yolk of one egg
- Two tablespoons of extra-virgin Coconut oil
Let the mask stay on for anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.
Hair Mask #10
You will need to blend –
- Two teaspoons of melted Coconut oil.
- Two teaspoons of Olive oil.
- One teaspoon of organic honey.
- The yolk of a large egg (must be at room temperature).
Let the mask stay on your hair for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes, or even much more!
Hair Mask #11
Mix in a large bowl –
- One, or a couple of tablespoons of Coconut oil.
- Four to five tablespoons of almond milk.
- Three to four tablespoons of egg white.
Let the mask remain on your tresses for as long as you feel comfortable.
If you use this Coconut oil hair mask recipe at least thrice a week, you should be able to restore the shine of very dry hair. Along with the Coconut oil and egg white, almond milk (rich in proteins, iron, and fatty acids) serves to reduce breakage of hair, strengthens it, and encourages softness, too.
Go for Castor Oil for Hair
This wonder oil is perfect for soothing an itchy scalp and reducing dandruff. While penetrating deep into the scalp, it nourishes it via minerals, nutrients, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
Hair Mask #12
You can make a Castor oil and Coconut oil hair mask by mixing equal amounts of both. After thoroughly massaging the mixture into your hair, let it remain for 35-40 minutes.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl.
- Pour in a tablespoon of Castor oil, and blend well.
This mixture is effective for preventing hair loss in women and balding in men. You may let it stay for 30 minutes, or more.
Although there are other Coconut oil hair masks that come into play for giving ‘rebirth’ to ‘dying’ hair, the ones outlined above, are the most popular. Regardless of whatever form you use it in, however, just keep in mind that Coconut oil refuses to harm a single hair on your head!
FAQs about Coconut Oil Hair Masks!
1. Why is Coconut oil so beneficial for hair?
By penetrating deep into the hair follicles, Coconut oil stimulates rapid growth of hair. You will gain lustrous, thick and long hair via the above-mentioned hair masks, thanks to the presence of Coconut oil in them.
Apart from preventing breakage of hair and appearance of split ends, this oil also battles against lice, dandruff and insect bites, such that your scalp remains clean and healthy.
2. I have heard that lemon juice is very good for hair. Is this a fact?
Yes, lemon juice is great, especially when combined with Coconut oil. The juice’s acidity helps in unclogging hair follicles and tightening them, cleaning up your scalp, and stimulating dormant follicles to become active again.
- Mix four tablespoons of melted Coconut oil with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply on affected areas, and leave on for 15 minutes or so.
Another concoction comprises of a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and two tablespoons of melted Coconut oil. Allow this mixture to remain on your hair for an hour, prior to shampooing and rinsing it off.
3. Can I apply Olive oil on hair?
Yes, if you have the patience to keep the mask on for a couple of hours to three hours, or even more, go in for a mixture of Coconut oil (2/3 tablespoons) and extra-virgin Olive oil (a tablespoon)!
4. I would like to use Aloe Vera for my hair. Is it possible to include this in a Coconut oil hair mask?
Aloe Vera is excellent for repairing damaged hair, as well as restoring moisture to dry hair. You may prepare a hair mask consisting of a thick leaf of Aloe Vera and three tablespoons of organic Coconut oil.
- Cleanse the leaf of Aloe Vera thoroughly, for there must be no dirt or hidden germs on it.
- Use a clean pair of scissors or a knife to remove the thorns present on the side of the leaf.
- Cut the leaf into tiny pieces, and make a puree out of it.
- Pour the Coconut oil into the puree, and mix well.
- Apply it all over the scalp and hair.
- Wait for one-and-a-half hours to two hours, prior to shampooing and cleansing.
Do you feel like caressing your oh-so-soft hair? Go ahead!
5. I think it is easier to just extract the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf, rather than going through this elaborate process.
It is indeed far easier to extract the gel! However, when you make a puree, instead, the anti-bacterial properties present in the outer part of the Aloe Vera leaf, remain intact. This will ensure that your scalp remains free of dandruff, acne, etc.