Biotin and hair growth are two terms which have been interrelated for a long time. Almost every one of us is aware that one of the essential nutrients for hair health is the biotin. Biotin can also go by the name Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H. The reason for including biotin in your diet can be many. Do you want to speed up the hair growth process? You want your hair to be thicker? Do you want to tackle hair loss? All of such motives can easily employ the use of biotin. Here is the complete guide as to how and when you should use biotin for hair growth or loss including their side effects.
One of the primary question that can pop up in your mind after all this is, “Why Biotin?”, “What is so important about this?”. Well, you are about to know what exactly.
- Biotin is just like some other essential nutrients. It comes in the category of B-vitamins.
- Naturally, this nutrient is produced by our bodies by the good bacteria present in the intestine. It is responsible for the growth of hair. This is why our hair grows naturally.
- However, the catch here is that if you want your hair to grow faster, then you need to take extra biotin via foods or supplements to speed up the process.
But How Does Biotin Help Hair Growth?
- The hair is made up of nothing but protein and fat. What biotin does is that it gets together with some enzymes in the body and produces amino acids. These acids result in the formation of proteins that also includes another substance called keratin.
- Keratin is one of the most important kinds of protein when it comes to hair growth. This is why the biotin vitamin for hair growth is so important.
Benefits Of Biotin For Hair: What All It Does To The Hair?
Most people may be aware of the fact that biotin helps hair growth. But it has more to it. Biotin also helps to protect the hair from damage or hair loss.
- The biotin vitamins give the hair protection from getting dried out.
- Biotin works on the hair cortex by increasing its elasticity which in turn takes care of hair breakage by keeping it at bay.
- Also, when we say biotin helps hair growth, we mean that it encourages the new skin cells to get formed that result in healthier hair.
- For hair loss problems, biotin not only stops the excessive hair fall but also works towards making them thicker than the present. That is a win-win from both sides for hair loss problems.
Biotin may be a superhero for hair health but its benefits are not only limited to just that. Including biotin in your diet will keep you healthy on the whole and not just your hair.
- Biotin is a type of Vitamin B which increases metabolism.
- Biotin is the nutrient that takes glucose from the carbohydrates and converts it into energy and also amino acids for healthy hair and other important body functions.
- It works at reducing inflammation.
- It improves cognitive functions in the body.
- It takes care of low blood sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes.
- It also increases good cholesterol and decreases bad cholesterol in the body.
Foods That Contain Biotin
When it comes to the natural food that contains biotin, they aren’t so rare. In fact, you might already be taking some of these foods daily. However, for the lot that is looking for something to speed up the hair growth, you can start including the following mentioned food items for the same. These biotin-rich foods can be taken on the daily basis because they not only benefit your hair health but also your overall health. These are:
- Organ meats that include liver and kidney
- Egg yolk
- Nuts that include almonds, walnuts and peanuts
- Legumes such as soybeans
- Whole grains
- Fruits include Banana
- Veggies such as cauliflower and mushroom
- Other than the natural food sources, biotin is also available in the form of supplements. There are biotin pills for hair growth that can be taken as a supplement. These are available in the market with a prescribed dosage. However, they aren’t always safe from the side effects. It is recommended that you check with a doctor and read the packaging carefully before you begin taking any of the supplements.
These foods are best when taken in the raw form because it is said that the effect of biotin decreases when they are processed. To know what amount of it to consume, refer to the daily dosage guide that follows after this section. For general purposes, you can read the nutritional information about these foods every time you opt for a food item like this. This way you will deliberately be able to select the food items rich in biotin and other nutrients for yourself.
Biotin: What Is The Dosage?
The dosage you take depends on your age and condition. Some general instructions for biotin consumption are as follows:
- For people at the age 10 or more: 30 and 100 mcg/day.
- For babies from 0 to 3 years: 10-20 mcg
- For children from 4 to 6 years: 25 mcg
- For children from 7 to 10 years: 30 mcg
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women, higher levels of biotin may be needed.
Other than this, it is always best to consult a doctor that can recommend the right amount depending on your age and body conditions.
Biotin Side Effects
Biotin is present in most food items that we consume daily. Also, it is produced naturally by our bodies. However, some people go for supplements too to get an extra amount of biotin. This practice may have certain side effects on the body.Not all people can have side effects but some might. Though there are no serious side effects, there are just some minors.
These may be-
- Minor Nausea
Biotin is a kind of vitamin which is easily soluble in water. This takes care of any extra biotin in the body as they can be flushed out of the body through the urine. So, there is not much scope for getting an overdose of it. However, some people may have some kind of skin rashes. This may be because of biotin overdose and they should immediately see a doctor for this.
These risks can be reduced if you take your biotin supplements with the food. By convention, this is not important that you need any supplements. The fact that your body really requires it can be checked only by a doctor. To check this, the doctor will check the following things in your body.
- Vitamin C levels to see if they are low.
- Vitamin B-6 levels to see if they are low.
- Blood sugar levels which should not be high.
- Insulin production to see if it is not declined.
Doctors can reduce the amount of biotin you take if these tests reflect that you are taking too much of biotin.
Frequently Asked Questions About Biotin for Hair!
1. How Does Biotin Help Hair Growth?
Your hair is made up of all protein and good fats. What biotin does is that it gets together with some enzymes in the body and produces amino acids. These acids result in the formation of proteins that also includes another substance called keratin. Keratin is one of the most important kinds of protein when it comes to hair growth. This is why the biotin vitamin for hair growth is so important.
2. If I Add More Biotin Rich Foods To My Diet, Would It Have Any Side Effects?
When you add natural foods containing biotin to your diet, they cannot have any side effects. However, biotin supplements can have certain side effects. In both cases, it is better to talk to your doctor first before adding any biotin supplements to your diet. Your body conditions need to be checked by a doctor first before you can be disguised as safe from any possible side effects.
3. What Dose Of Biotin Should I Take For Hair Growth?
If you are aged at 10 or more, you can have anywhere between 30 to 100 mcg of biotin in your diet on a daily basis. Taking more than this can have minor side effects.
4. Why Biotin Has Side Effects On The Body?
This is because your body naturally produces biotin. This is done by the good bacteria in your intestine. But if you are looking for a faster option to grow your hair, you might want to go for increasing biotin in your diet. You can do that but only up to a certain limit. Getting away from these limits can have side effects that you don’t want.
So, these were some of the best ways how biotin vitamin for hair growth works and what all side effects it can have. Be careful with the supplements and you will be good to go. I wish you Happy hair!