Sciatica is a symptom of acute pain in the lower part of the body caused due to compression of the sciatic nerve. Sciatica exercises provide instant relief and must be continued regularly. This pain is unbearable and people switch to several medications for instant relief. However, medicines have side effects and provide relief for a shorter term. Regular exercise and yoga can reduce the pain and provide relief immediately.
What is Sciatica?
Our body consists of several nerves and the sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body. Due to our modern and unhealthy lifestyle, the spinal cord starts degenerating which in turn pushes the sciatic nerve. The compression of the nerve causes severe pain in the hip, legs and back. This is known as sciatic pain or sciatica.
Don’t miss to read about the Best Exercises to Getting Rid of Knee Pain!
Simple Sciatica Exercises
There are several simple stretching exercises which can provide you immediate relief from sciatic nerve pain.
1. Spinal Twist
- This is a simple exercise.
- It is mostly effective for pain in the hips.
- Sit down on a mat with folded legs.
- Bend the right knee and keep your left leg beneath the right knee.
- Twist the right upper half of the body as much as possible, keeping the right knee completely straight.
- Stay in this position for 5-10 seconds and then try the same with alternate leg.
- This will provide you immediate relief from pain.
In case you feel the pain is moving to the legs, do not worry. Only increase the height of the surface where you are performing the twisting exercise.
We bring for you 4 easy and effective yoga poses for lower back pain…
2. Standing Twist
- Stand straight in front of a wall.
- Place a chair leaned against the wall.
- Keep your left leg on the chair with knees bent.
- The right leg should be straight.
- Twist your body towards the wall as much as possible.
- You can take support of the wall with your hands.
- Stay in this position for 20 seconds and repeat with the other side.
This method is very effective if you are suffering from sciatic back pain.
3. Hamstring Stretches
- Stand straight in front of a chair.
- Lift your left leg straight and place it on the chair.
- Hold on in this position for few seconds.
- Bring down the left leg and repeat the same with your right leg.
- Do this exercise 5-10 times with each leg.
This is a simple but rather effective exercise for leg and hip pain.
How to Relieve Sciatic Nerve Pain?
There are some simple yoga poses which if followed regularly can be of great help in the sciatica treatment. Practice this yoga poses on a daily basis to fight against the pain. It provides instant relief from the acute pain.
1. Knee Raise
- Lie down straight on your back.
- Lift one leg and bend the knees. Keep the other leg straight on the ground.
- Bring the knees as close as possible to the chest.
- Lock the hands around the knees and stay in that position for 5 seconds.
- Repeat the same with the other leg.
You will love to read 10 facial exercises to remove face fat & wrinkles!
2. Two Knee Twist
- Lie down on the floor
- Spread your arms on both the sides.
- Bend your knees and turn both the legs to one side while keeping your shoulders straight.
- Stay in that position for few seconds.
- Rest in the original position and again turn on the other side.
- Repeat this process at least 10-20 times on either side.
3. Single Knee Twist
- Lie down on your back.
- Keep both legs straight and arms spread out.
- Now keeping one leg straight, bend the knee of the other leg and turn the knee on to the other side.
- With the opposite hand, hold your knees.
- Be in this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Come back to the original position and take rest.
- Now repeat the same process with the other leg.
- Continue with this process at least 5-10 times.
Find here some Best Relaxation Exercises that Melt Away the Stress…
4. Childs Pose
- Sit on both the knees joined together on a mat.
- Now bend your body so that your head touches the mat.
- Open your arms in the forward direction.
- Lie in this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Lift your body up and come to the original state.
- Repeat this process 10-20 times in one sitting.
All the above twist and poses are forms of yoga for sciatica pain. It is mostly to provide respite from the intolerable leg, hip and back pain. These exercises can bring immediate sciatic nerve relief from the terrible pain. Hope the above-mentioned sciatica exercises and poses help you in sciatic pain. If there are any other suggestions about sciatica exercises, then you are most welcome to share your opinions in the comment section.