Our perception of the world around us is via a colored environment. Colors influence us a lot and our wellbeing. Thus all the colors in a room you are in affect your health and mental makeup. There are some effects of colored light on our health and mood so each one is programmed to accept and some colors one cannot tolerate. The perception of colors depends on the time of day, shade or the kind of the light we are exposed to.
Colored Light Therapy
It is found that colors in hospitals and clinics affect the health of patients. The practice of healing patients with colors is an ancient one. It was found that blood condition in patients was treated with red cloth and herbs. Light emitted through colored glass or fabrics exposed to patients sped up their recovery. Even plants growth is affected by colors. When colored plastic sheet was put around plants it warded off pests and aided in healthy plant growth.
Types of Colors
Colors can be categorized into the following groups depending upon the effect they have on us.
1. Primary Colors –The basic or prime colors are red, yellow and blue.
2. Secondary Colors – A combination of two primary colors forms a secondary color. For example green, this is a combination of blue and yellow.
3. Warm Colors – The warm colors consist of red, yellow, orange and brown.
4. Cold Colors – Colors blue, green and purple form the cold group.
5. Strong Colors -White and Intensive colors form the strong group.
6. Pale Colors – Less intensive colors which are got after mixing with white or black form the pale group.
Healing Properties of Colors
Today color therapy is gaining importance. This has happened after the emergence of LED lights. Red and Near Infrared (NIR) LED lights are supposed to aid in healing. The effect of near Infra red was not known earlier since the light is in the invisible spectrum and there was no way to gauge its beneficial property. With the emergence of the LED technology we can now see this light.
Some of the beneficial healing properties include –
1. Fast Recovery From Wound Injuries
It is found that healing is faster for severe burns when exposed to the near Infra red and red LED lights. Any pain due to muscle and tendon sprains is also reduced with this treatment.
2. Skin Repair
The therapy helps in skin rejuvenation and repair. Collagen production is increased which reduces wrinkles in the skin and aging of the skin.
3. Boots Metabolism
There is increased enzyme activity generated which increases the metabolism in the body when this therapy is undertaken.
4. Eye Injuries
When affected eyes were exposed to NIR LED light source there was enhanced healing. Diabetic neuropathy is also addressed as part of the treatment.
Food allergy symptoms were alleviated by this therapy.
6. Improved Cell Functioning
The therapy helps in boosting ATP in the cells which is the energy source in the cells. It also helps in cell reproduction and repair of damaged cells.
How Does It Work?
There is an energy field around us which is known as the “Aura”. Today this Aura can be sensed and mapped by a computer. Thus energy which is invisible is made visible. These patterns serve as diagnostic tools. They show imbalances if any in the energy field. These imbalances are an indication of an organ working subpar in our body. It gives an indication of a disease setting in much before it can be detected by traditional methods.
This is all because we have 2 types of energy systems in the body. One is the Meridian system and the other is the Chakra system. The Meridian system is the Chinese system and it involves the organs and all the glands within the body. The organ system receives light and converts it into energy. The Chakra system is like a pump system which regulates flow of light through our nervous system and the complete body. The body has 7 chakras and each chakra has predominately one color of light. Each chakra has a specific task of healing. Thus the body acts as a prism which concentrates light from the 7 chakras.
Thus light absorbed through the skin and eyes is dispersed throughout the body via the chakra and meridian system. If there are any blocks in these paths diseases are born. Light therapy helps to bring in mental, physical and emotional balance within the body.
Effects of Colored Light on Our Health and Mood
Red is associated with something full of energy and vitality. It combats laziness and is a sign of increased heartbeat. It attracts a lot of attention and is an extreme color. Hence this color should not be worn during negotiations.
As far as health benefits are concerned the following are listed.
Red light is supposed to have least effects on circadian rhythms and hence there are few chances of depression and emotional upheavals. Hence it is ideal for evening lighting.
Red color is used where there is less vitality and energy. It used in the balancing the root chakra. It controls functioning of the heart, lungs, muscles and bones.
- It enhances liver function and helps in decongestion.
- It helps in activating the acupuncture points in the body.
- It helps in improving hemoglobin in the blood and hence circulation.
- It enhances pituitary gland function which in turn helps in enhanced functioning of the other glands.
- Sensory nerve functions are also enhanced with red light.
- It increases ATP production in the cells which help in cell reproduction and repair.
This color is associated with the sun and hence it cheers up people. Since sun contains all the colors it is overpowering and cannot be handled easily.
Health benefits with yellow include the following.
- This color is associated with the solar plexus chakra and hence helps in balancing energy levels in the liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen and stomach.
- The chakra is associated with seat of emotions and affects the adrenal glands, nervous system, muscles and our personal power.
- It cleanses the liver, intestines and skin.
- It aids metabolism and hence digestion.
- Nourishment of vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, sulphur, sodium is due to the yellow color.
Blue is a cold color and hence can be effectively used in all conditions which create heat in the body. It is related to the throat chakra and helps in thyroid, shoulder, neck, teeth and gum issues. It is the color of the ocean which brings in peace and is just the opposite of red. It is calming and depressing. It increases productivity in people. Hence during the day when exposed to blue light you can work with concentration and do your jobs. But it is not recommended for the night.
Health benefits of blue include the following.
- It acts an antibacterial and antiseptic. For people who cannot take antibiotics this is another option.
- It has anti-inflammatory property and hence helps in speedy healing of wounds.
- It acts as an astringent and dries up secretions.
- It brings down nervousness and has a calming effect.
- It enhances growth and vitality.
- Blue light energizes and is recommended to be exposed to in the mornings. This is true especially if you have not had a good night’s sleep.
- It helps in the circadian rhythm going and increased energy levels.
This color is associated with fun, joy or happiness. It is a blend of red and yellow. It increases your physical energy levels. It is related to the spleen chakra and plays a role in enhancing creativity.
Health benefits of Orange are the following.
- Exposure to orange handles imbalances in the kidneys, intestines, lower spine and sacroiliac joints.
- Muscle and menstrual cramps is relieved by this therapy.
- The therapy improves food absorption in the body. This is by ensuring proper functioning of the spleen and pancreas.
- Irritable bowels and digestive issues are tackled by this therapy.
- Immune system is strengthened by the therapy.
- It helps in increasing the pulse rate without affecting the blood pressure.
- The nourishing contents of vitamin B and minerals is due to the presence of color orange in them.
This is nature’s color and we are all familiar with it. It is cooling to the eyes and hence used in eye therapy. Green room is where people relax. It is a combination of blue and yellow and has a sedative effect. It represents growth, life, youth, energy and new found vitality.
Health benefits of green include the following.
- It acts as a detoxifying agent.
- It aids in stress relief by calming nerves.
- It helps in building of muscles, bones and tissues.
- It has a disinfectant and antibacterial property.
- The therapy of green light is like providing tonic and improving immunity in the body.
This light color provides a cooling effect on the body. Hence it is used to tackle any heat based issues in the body. It is associated with the brow chakra. It helps to deal with imbalances in the pineal glands, pituitary glands, sinuses, ears, nose, eyes and learning disabilities.
The health benefits of exposure to this light are listed below.
- It acts a blood purifier.
- It aids in healing of boils, acne and any skin based ailments.
- It reduces swelling from wounds.
- With its astringent property it helps in drying up of mucus and secretions.
- The color strengthens the courage, imagination and intuitive power in the body.
This color also has calming effects. It is associated with the crown chakra. It aids in the functioning of pineal, pituitary gland and the nervous system.
Health benefits of exposure to this color include the following.
- It helps in calming of the nervous system.
- It helps in correction of skeletal and muscular imbalances.
- It solves problems which cause sleep disorders.
- It acts as an antibacterial agent.
- It also acts as an astringent and shrinks tissues and any secretions.
Sometimes the therapy can consist of two color combinations to be very effective.
It is found that a combination of blue and red lights is effective in the treatment of acne. The blue light attacks the bacteria in the acne while the red light increases the collagen generation thereby repairing the damaged cells.
Orange and blue lights are used to check imbalances in the endocrine gland system.
Green light is the universal light used in all situations. Before the combination of lights are used in the treatment, the green light is used for sometime as part of the therapy.
Effect of Light Colors During the Day and Night
Experiments done in the schools have proved the following. Children just after a break are noisy and disturbed. Orange light is used to calm them down and relax them. Once they are in this state the blue light is turned on. The blue light aids in focusing and concentration. Thus it helps them with their school work. Thus blue light is apt for night owls who want to stay awake and be alert during the night. Otherwise, the best light to use during the night is red. It is less depressing and dims down your emotions. This is the reason why it is not recommended that you watch TV, Computers or any of the electronic gadgets before you go to sleep. The blue light emitted from the display can mess up with your circadian cycles.
Today you have products in the market with which you can carry out the light therapy. There are LED lights with a remote control. With the control, you can switch on the appropriate light in the room to suit your mood. In some products, there are 16 colors to choose from.
With effects of colored light on our health and mood, also you should know that different colored lights therapy should be used with some precautions. During some of the aggravated health conditions, it may not be advisable to use the light therapy. For each light color, there are situations which you need to avoid for light therapy. This needs to be checked by an authentic source before you start on the therapy.