Are you obese? Losing your self-confidence? Want to be fit without undergoing any diets? Yes, you are in the right place now! Here is a good news for you. Have you heard that acupuncture can help you to shed those extra pounds? It is true. Lets explore how this ancient therapy works and what benefits can we yield by practicing it!
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an alternative form of medical treatment where fine needles are inserted into the patient’s skin at particular points over the body, at various depths which turn down pain and also to get rid of the various complaints.
Acupuncture is effective in treating
- Chronic pain
- Weight loss
- Back pain
- Sleeping disturbances
- A migraine
- Knee pain
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Neck pain
How does Acupressure work?
The mechanism of acupuncture is still in debate! There are many hypotheses about- how acupuncture works? But scientifically haven’t proved yet!
- Acupuncture is a Chinese medicinal treatment where they are of the opinion that the disruptions in the energy flow in our body are the major reason for the occurrence of all diseases. This flow of energy is termed as “Qi”. So they decided to release this qi by stimulating the points under the skin using a needle and that’s the acupuncture. The points to be stimulated are the acupuncture points. This technique relieves pain and maintains the health.
- Another hypothesis states that acupuncture works based on the principle of neurohormonal pathways. What is the neurohormonal pathway? When the nerves get stimulated, it sends the signal to the brain to release the hormones by neuroendocrine cells into the bloodstream. These hormones are capable of increasing the pain threshold which in turn reduces the pain. Hence the acupuncture stimulates the nerves by inserting the needles into the specific points in our body.
- There are certain pro-inflammatory markers and proteins in our body such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF) and interleukin 1? (IL-1?) which are responsible for exerting the influence on inflammation, leads to pain. Some studies suggest that acupuncture decreases these pro-inflammatory markers, in turn, reduces the inflammation and pain. It also boosts up the immune system, it again reduces the inflammation.
What are the Side Effects of Acupuncture?
- Infection over the needle penetration area
- Breakage of needles
- Puncture of organs
Precautions to be taken to avoid the side effects of Acupressure
- Infection over the needle penetration areas can be avoided by sterilizing the area by a cotton swab dipped in alcohol prior to the needle penetration. Also, needles should be clean and sterilized and never reuse it, to avoid infections.
- Puncturing of organs can be avoided by having this treatment through certified experts.
- Be sure with the patients’ history, to avoid excessive bleeding for those who have bleeding disorders or persons receiving anticoagulants.
Acupuncture for Weight loss
Acupuncture is an effective method to reduce your weight. How can acupuncture help with weight loss? It regulates the production of a hormone, lowers water retention, aids in digestion, suppress hunger, improves metabolism, reduces inflammation and gets the most out of other bodily functions which helps in weight loss.
- There are certain hormones which make our body feel good. It is the “endorphins” released during the needle insertion. This hormone creates a calming and relaxing effect. Thus it reduces the stress which counteracts excessive eating and helps you to lose weight.
- There are also acupuncture points for weight loss on the ears, stimulating these pressure points for weight loss curbs hunger.
Auricular acupuncture is successful in treating obese patients to lose their weight efficiently. There are five special pressure points for weight loss on the auricle. The combination of these five special points is found to be the most effective one for weight loss. The five auricular acupuncture points are
- Shen Men
Even the hunger point also helps to lose weight but not as effective as the combination of these five points.
Location of Five Auricular Acupuncture points
It is located at the lateral 1/3 of the triangular fossa at the bifurcating point between the inferior and superior antihelix crus. The Chinese call this point “heavenly gate”.
This spleen point has two main ear locations; one is in the middle of the rear side of the ear. The other one is located at the cavum concha over the lateral and superior aspect of it.
This point is located in the cavum concha at the end of the crus of the helix. It is the area formed by the border of lower antihelix crus and the end of the crus of the helix.
It is located at the bottom of the tragus in the direction of the transitional fold, a hard cartilaginous area of the inner ear closest to the facial skin.
It is located in the intertragic notch at the cavum conchae.
Types of Auricular Acupuncture Therapy for Weight Loss
1(Single) Needle Therapy
It is the single needle therapy, stimulates only one point which is the hunger point. This single needle therapy is done on a purpose to quench your hunger. Needling this particular area regulates the appetite, which helps to reduce the urge to have meal results in effective weight loss.
5(Five) Needle Therapy
This approach is inclusive of all five ear acupuncture points. Needling these five points stimulates the key nerves on the ear which reduces hunger and also the stress, reduces craving and boosts energy to lose weight effectively.
Several studies have been made and concluded that 5 needle therapy is effective in reducing the body mass index (BMI) by 6% when compared with single needle therapy which yields improvement of reducing the BMI less than 6%.
Benefits of Acupuncture for Weight Loss
There are many benefits of practicing Acupressure for weight loss. First of all you do not need to do heavy workout. For those who don’t love to strain themselves by lifting and pulling weights, Acupressure is a blessing. Another benefit is that you dont need to follow a strict diet. however it is advised to keep control on your eating pattern and avoid oily and spicy food while undergoing Acupressure therapy.
There is no surgery involved, so you need not freak about it. All it does it prick the friendly, tiny needles in your body. Quite safe, isnt it?
Since you need not hit the gym or aerobics classes, it will save you a precious time.
Side Effects of Acupuncture for Weight Loss
- Little Pain
- Muscle spasm
- Worsening of symptoms
- Higher emotional responses
Frequently Asked Questions About Acupressure for Weight Loss
1. Is it safe to have acupuncture?
Ans : Yes, it is safe to have acupuncture with the certified and experienced practitioners. Also, you must have good health conditions without bleeding disorders, having pacemakers, taking anti-coagulants (blood thinning medications) or weakened immune systems etc., It is always best to get a consultation with doctors before undertaking this treatment.
2. How many sessions does it require weight loss?
Ans : For an effective result, go with six to eight weeks of acupuncture therapy for weight loss. You can extend it by consulting with your therapist.
3. Which therapy is best for effective weight loss?
Ans : As we discussed earlier, 5 needle therapy is best for effective weight loss. If you live in fear of needle then go for single needle therapy, to avoid fewer needle penetrations which even give you good results.
4. How much should be the needle penetration depth to avoid the puncture of organs?
Ans : Puncture of organs is the most significant side effect that has to be ignored. The needle penetration depth should be 2 mm. It avoids the consequences of organ puncturing.
With properly diagnosed medical conditions, always seek medical practitioners consult and go for the acupuncture therapy. Opt for a well-trained and licensed acupuncturist for treating weight loss. For effective results, go with a low-calorie diet and workouts along with acupuncture. Glam up your style with your fitness!