Table of Contents Hide
- Some Surprising Facts Regarding Migraine
- Migraine – An Introduction
- What is Migraine?
- What are the Symptoms of Migraine?
- What are the Causes of Migraine?
- What are the Types of Migraine?
- What are the Home Remedies to Cure Migraine?
- What are Some Do’s and Don’s in Migraine?
- Can Migraine Cause Death?
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Some Surprising Facts Regarding Migraine
- Migraine lists on the third position among the common diseases globally.
- Compared to men, women are found suffering more from this health issue.
- Not only for the individuals suffering from Migraine, but also for the doctors, the Migraine triggers can be a little confusing.
- Dehydration, stress, less sleep, caffeine, and alcohol are some of the common triggers resulting in Migraine.
- Some people suffer from dizziness, splitting pain in the head, and even nausea which is considered to be common auras warning about Migraine.
- Temporary blindness is also one of the symptoms regarding Migraine, known as Retinal Migraine.
- Some of the scariest sub-types of migraines that are rare include hemiplegic migraine that can lead to tingling, numbness, weakness, loss of function on particular body parts like face, leg, or arm, etc.
- This is not just an issue for adults. There are many children also suffer from Migraines. Children can suffer from a minor age of merely 18 months.
- Around 80 – 90 percent of the Migraine sufferers face it due to heredity.
Migraine – An Introduction
Is Migraine disturbing your schedule frequently? Do you keep on looking for effective Migraine treatment to get rid of that painful headache? Wait a minute! You are not alone doing all these.
According to the Migraine Research Foundation, 7 out of 10 individuals are found suffering from painful, recurring and severe headache, known as Migraine. This irritating pain can last for some hours to some days too.
But what is migraine actually? Is it merely a general headache? Let’s learn about it properly.
What is Migraine?
Migraine is not a common headache that can be dealt with with some headache medication. It is a pain that keeps on hammering your head, which covers only a single side of the head. This throbbing sensation is often accompanied by other health issues like thrilling sensitivity to sound or light, vomiting, nausea, etc. Migraine is an issue that might keep on disturbing you for hours or days too. The pain of migraine is so severe that it can disturb or hinder your routine activities to a great extent.
Again, there is a myth prevailing globally that Migraine is suffered by adults only. The fact is that not only adults but even children are found suffering from Migraines after a tiny age of 18 months only.
What are the Symptoms of Migraine?
Migraine is one of the neurological disorders. The condition can be either debilitating or chronic. Some of the common symptoms of Migraine include –
- Numbness in feet or hands
- Sensitivity to light, smell, and sound
- Changes in visual
- Stiffness in neck
- Hormonal Changes
- Changes in mood
- Increased urination or thirst
- Food Cravings
- Yawning (frequently) and many more.
Apart from all these, an unbalanced lifestyle is also one of the reasons for suffering from Migraine. Migraine is an issue which is generally left untreated or undiagnosed in most of the cases. Hence, it becomes necessary to keep a track record of having Migraine attacks and see the doctor with all the necessary information regarding Migraine.
What are the Causes of Migraine?
The Migraine treatment is generally based on the causes of Migraine which are basically not understood completely. There are various environmental and genetic factors that can lead to Migraine. These factors include major pain, the brainstem, the interaction between the trigeminal nerve and the brainstem. The chemical imbalance in the brain is also one of the reasons leading to migraine.
Yet, some of the triggers leading to Migraine include –
1. Hormonal imbalance
For women suffering from Migraine, changes in the hormones are one of the major reasons for Migraine. Women observe fluctuations in the estrogen levels during their menses, menopause, and even during pregnancy. Along with all these, hormonal medications like hormone replacement therapies, oral contraceptives, etc. can also lead to worse situations.
2. Alcohol and drinks
The list of drinks includes too much caffeine, like coffee or tea, or any drink containing alcohol beyond a particular limit. Also, having alcohol or wine particularly can lead to Migraines.
3. Stress and Changes in sleeping hours
Working women are also more likely to face Migraine issues due to stress at work and at home. Stress is among the prime causes of having Migraine. Similarly, missing sleep, jet lag, long sleeping hours, etc. is also lead to Migraines for some people.
There are many people who can’t stand bright lights or even the sun as that brings Migraine along. Similarly, loud music is also one hurdle for some. Some sufferers of Migraine are sensitive to some smells like paint thinner, strong perfumes, smoking, etc. This can also trigger Migraine for some people.
5. Physical issues
Yes, certain physical changes can also lead to Migraine. The changes include sexual activities, intense physical exertion, allergies to particular food ingredients like aged cheese, processed foods, salty food items, sweeteners, etc. are also some factors that lead to Migraine.
Some medications including nitroglycerin, vasodilators, and even oral contraceptives are liable to encourage Migraine. Some other factors that can lead to Migraine include family history, hormonal changes, sex, and even age.
What are the Types of Migraine?
Before learning about the Migraine treatment, firstly let’s have a look at the Migraine types. The classification is carried out on the basis of the experience of the individual, or any disturbances in the senses that can result in Migraine. The two types of Migraine include –
A. Migraine due to Aura
As mentioned above, there are many people who are having Migraine due to a particular aura. This is an alarming sign that headache is on the way and might attack any time. The list of aura includes –
- Confusing experience or thoughts
- Visuals with zig-zag lines
- Perception of flashing lights, sparkling, or any strange light
- Blank patches or blind spots in vision
- Difficulty in speaking
- Needles or pins in the leg or arms
- Filthy smell
- Stiffness in the limbs, neck, or shoulders
Some other symptoms that shouldn’t be ignored include loss of sensation, the problem in speech, disturbance in visuals, or unusual headache in severe condition.
B. Migraine without Aura
Around 70 to 80 percent of the people suffering from Migraine experience it without any kind of sensitivity or aura. Some other reas0ons leading to type 2 Migraine include chronic migraine, a hemiplegic migraine, menstrual migraine, brainstem migraine, abdominal migraine, etc. Chronic migraines would capture around 15 days of a month, while menstrual migraines would attack during the menses making that period tougher. Hemiplegic migraine would make the body weak for some days, while the abdominal migraine would attack the abdomen and the gut with irregular function. All these types are connected with one or the other health issue or body due to which it becomes necessary for the individual suffering from it to visit the doctor at the earliest.
Hence, these are the two types of Migraine disturbing the schedule of the sufferers. What type are you suffering from?
What are the Home Remedies to Cure Migraine?
No doubt, when it comes to the Migraine treatment, there are various medications available in the market that can help you with temporary relief from the headache. But is going with the medications every time a good option to go with? Not really! Here are some home remedies to cure Migraine in a natural way nearly eliminating any kind of side effects.
1. Changes in Diet
Yes, the diet you have can also come with a great impact on Migraine. There are many people who face Migraines due to some kind of food triggers like chocolates, alcohol, processed food items, fast food items, caffeine drinks, etc. Hence, avoiding such ingredients that lead to Migraine should be avoided. There are people who maintain a diary and keep a record of all the ingredients that lead to triggers. So, making a change in the routine meals or eating patterns is surely going to work in reducing the chances of having migraines.
Acupressure is a technique of working on any health issue by applying pressure on particular parts of the body. Stimulation of particular body points helps in releasing the tension of the muscles and alleviates the pain too. According to research, 40% of the people suffering from migraine without aura are found benefiting from acupressure on PC6 point. Along with Migraine, acupressure also works effectively for the people having vomiting or nausea with the hammering headache.
Surprisingly, ginger also stands in the list of migraine treatment in a natural way. The powder of ginger is effective for common migraines when taken along with sumatriptan. Many users are found working on this treatment for long-term benefits on migraines. Again, ginger doesn’t come with any kind of harmful side effect apart from any prevailing allergies. Thus, it is widely used for the treatment of migraines naturally.
4. Essential Oils
Essential oils are working as a natural remedy for various health issues, and migraine is one of them. The essential oils come with antimicrobial properties which help in reducing the headache caused due to migraine. Lavender Oil : A Vintage for Hale and Hearty Hair! is widely used for issues like anxiety, headache, and even stress. Hence, using essential oils helps in reducing the painful sensation of headache during a migraine.
5. Management of stress
Stress is one of the common causes of migraines. If it creates a cycle, the situation can even get worsen the pain. Hence, working on stress levels is also an effective way of working on migraines. For this, medications, exercises, journaling, listening to music, taking a warm bath, etc. are some of the operative ways of reducing stress which would also be beneficial for working on reducing migraines.
Massage is again another way that is quite helpful in working over a migraine. Massaging the muscles of the shoulders and the neck is much helpful in reducing the tension and pain. The massage would reduce the stress levels which is among the causes of having a migraine. There are various professional massagers that are work with proper sessions to reduce migraine. Self-massaging on the back or shoulders also works during Migraine.
Apart from all these, there are some herbal supplements also that can be listed among the home remedies to cure migraine. Some other effective ways also include biofeedback therapy, acupuncture, ingredients rich in Vitamin B Complex and magnesium, yoga, exercises, etc. Most important all, staying hydrated throughout the day with the required number of water glasses also works while dealing with a migraine.
What are Some Do’s and Don’s in Migraine?
Here are some do’s and don’s in Migraine that can help in preventing and curing Migraine in the best possible way.
- Do sleep as it is the best tricky way to deal with Migraine. Changes in the sleeping pattern or schedule can impact the health or brain leading to migraine pains.
- Don’t skip your meals. Yes, having meals at the right time would help in keeping the blood sugar levels controlled. Hunger is one of the causes of having headaches. So, be sure your tummy gets fueled at the right time.
- Do keep a watch on the intake of caffeine. Some headaches are caused due to additional caffeine intake that can increase the pain levels.
- Don’t try to over-exercise or underdo any exercises as this can also lead to Migraine. Exercises are on the effective ways of reducing migraine pain, but too much or too little can slowly increase the pain levels of migraine.
- Do keep a watch on the weather. Some people are sensitive to the changes in the environment or the atmospheric pressure to be precise. If any changes are observed, make sure you are ready for it.
- Don’t miss out the required amount of water. Dehydration is also one of the prime causes of migraines. So, keep a goal to have at least eight water glasses daily to keep yourself hydrated.
- Do limit the intake of alcohol and other caffeine drinks. All such drinks can increase the chances of having mild to severe headaches due to migraines.
- Do take required measures before your periods begin. The changes in hormones can increase the chances of migraines. Some women also observe headaches during an ovulating periods or menopause too.
Avoiding staring at the TVs, computers and even mobile phones for long hours can trigger a migraine. So, make sure you blink your eyes often or take frequent breaks from the staring. Tracking the attacks is also another way of working on reducing the migraine frequency or getting prepared with proper migraine treatment.
Can Migraine Cause Death?
This is among the most debated question when it comes to migraines. Women are more likely to die due to heart attack or heart issues who are suffering from migraines. Migraine if left untreated can lead to serotonin syndrome which can result in seizures, irregular heartbeat, and even death. Similarly, people suffering from chronic migraine disease are also more likely to experience heart attacks and strokes resulting in death. Hemiplegic migraines are also one of the reasons for suffering from paralysis for some period or death too.
Hence, be it minor or severe headache while having migraine attacks, looking for a natural or medicated migraine treatment is the best way to control the pain and take preventive measures to reduce it or avoid it too.
So, are you ready to fight Migraine? Do write to us about your experiences and suggestions.