Headache – How Essential Oils Help in Reducing It?
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are the concentrated portions of the natural oils that are obtained from plants. Through a process of distillation, the natural oil is extracted from different parts of the plants like steam, roots, flowers, plant roots, flowers, bark, etc. They are widely used in the forms which includes essential oils for headache, high blood pressure, insomnia, anxiety, weight loss, skin problems, itching issues, and much more.
Do Essential Oils Help in Headache?
Headaches have become a common health issue these days. There are several issues that can be blamed for this health disorder which includes fatigue, stress, hormonal changes, allergies, constipation, increase or decrease in blood pressure or blood sugar, nutritional deficiencies, poor posture, alcohol, drug consumption, etc.
Yes, there are a number of essential oils for headaches and migraines that help in reducing the impact in a natural way. They don’t come with any kind of side effects that are observed by the medications of a headache and migraine. The essential oils help in the following way in headache problems:
- Reducing the inflammation
- Reducing anxiety
- Reducing stress levels
- Boosting healthy sleeping habits
- Managing the hormone levels
- Reducing sinus pressure
- Controlling allergies, etc.
They are widely used for the treatment as they can safely get to the roots of the problem and mending it permanently instead of temporary relief.
How Can I Use The Essential Oils for Headache?
There are various types of headaches and hence, the selection of the essential oil also depends on it. Here is a perfect way how to use essential oils for headache.
1. A Migraine Headache
A migraine comes with severe pain which is connected with throbbing pain, severe sensitivity to light, nausea, etc. For a migraine, essential oils that can be used includes peppermint oil and lavender oil for quick results.
2. A Tension Headache
Popular by a stress headache, this kind of a headache generally gives pressure on the head leading to a painful situation. For such kind of a headache, Peppermint oil and Eucalyptus oil provides with instant results.
3. A Sinus Headache
Sinus is a result of swelling and inflamed of sinus cavities in the membranes that give severe pressure on the forehead. For reducing the impact of sinus, Eucalyptus essential oil is considered to be the best one.
4. Sugar Headache
This kind of a headache is mostly caused by people facing lower levels of blood sugar. For them, a mixture of oils like lavender oil, coconut oil, and rosemary oil is much helpful by both means of internal and external use.
What are Essential Oils Good for Headache?
Popular by the name of Aromatherapy, the use of essential oils for getting relief of headaches is becoming quite popular these days. The natural oils for headaches are generally used directly on the skin by diluting it with other oils like olive oil, almond oil, etc. And hence, it is recommended that you go for a quick test before applying it on the skin.
Here are some of the essential oils for a headache.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is a hybrid or says the combination of species like watermint and spearmint. Well-known for the cooling sensation it comes up with, it provides the muscles a cooling impact that helps in the stimulating the flow of the blood to the forehead. It gives you a wonderful smell as it is made from herbs that are used for making medicines.
How to use peppermint oil?
- This essential oil is used by diluting it with other oils like olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc.,
- It is then applied to the temples, forehead, and back of the neck.
- The scent comes up with strong energy, due to which, it should not be used immediately before bedtime as it may disturb your sleep.
2. Rosemary Oil
When the question what essential oils are good for a headache is asked, Rosemary essential oil is one of the traditionally used oil. The oil comes with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties naturally, which works well on headaches and other circulatory health problems. The oil gives the user a calming impact, that reduces emotional triggers and reduces stress levels that work well on headaches.
How to use the oil?
- Take few drops of Rosemary oil and few drops of coconut oil
- Mix well and place the oils in hot water
- Inhale the hot water steam for quick relief
- You can also add the mixture of oils for taking a hot bath
3. Lavender Oil
When asked what essential oil for a headache is the best, lavender oil is one of them. This oil is quite popular for getting relaxation and reducing the stress that results in severe headaches or migraines. The use of this essential oil has shown amazing results in managing migraine problems.
How can the oil be used?
- For people having a migraine, inhaling the essential oil in the form of scent or through steam is the best way
- You can also dilute the oil and apply to the skin, especially, to the temples and back
- Add some drops of diluted Lavender oil to the warm water and have a bath with it
4. Chamomile Essential Oil
When it comes to essential oils for a headache, Chamomile is a popular one which was priory used in the form of Chamomile tea. Chamomile essential oil comes with analgesic and anti-inflammatory elements, that help in reducing the neuralgic pain, stress, and anxiety. The oil was initially used by the Romans to reduces stress. However, the oil should not be used by the pregnant women as it can increase the chances of miscarriage.
For using this essential oil-
- Dilute some drop of Chamomile essential oil in warm water and have a bath with it
- You can also add it to hot water and take it in the form of steam as you breathe it
5. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Are you suffering from Sinus? Eucalyptus is the favorable natural solution to your health problem. This is among the strong natural oils for headaches that works well on Sinus for quick relief. Also, when you use the combination of peppermint oil, ethanol, and eucalyptus essential oil, it helps in relaxing your mind and muscles, that give instant relief from headaches.
Quick ways to use the Eucalyptus essential oil-
- You can mix the essential oil with some carrier oil and apply it on the chest area
- Add some drops of the oil into the hot water for a bath
- Use hot water with Eucalyptus essential oil for breathing the vapor for instant results in sinus
6. Helichrysum Essential Oil
This is one among the costly essential oils for a headache. Popular among the people in the United States, this essential oil is used for thousands of years for treating conditions like a headache, sinus, migraine, etc. The analgesic qualities it contains help in soothing the nerves which reduce tension, and hence, cures a headache.
How can you use this magical essential oil?
- The oil is safe for direct application on the skin, mostly the temples and back side.
- For the people with sensitive skin, diluted form of the oil is also beneficial for application.
- Add some drops of the oil to the water for a hot bath.
Along with all these, other essential oils for a headache include Melissa, Marjoram, Bergamot, Jasmine, and many more.
What Are The Possible Side Effects of Using Essential Oil for a Headache?
Essential oils are basically safe to use as there are rare chances of any possible side effect as compared to other chemical-based medications for treating headaches and migraines. However, some of the possible side effects for the same include:
- The primary possible side effect of using the natural oils for headaches is allergic reactions.
- Some people with sensitive skin have also observed irritation, feeling of burning, rashes, redness, stinging, etc. on using essential oils.
- Check with any doctor before using essential oils on infants, pregnant women, and lactating mothers, as it can lead to dangerous results.
- Patients with heart problems and asthma are also not recommended to use the essential oils, or consult the doctor before using them to avoid any serious health issues.
- Generally, 1 to 3 drops of the essential oils are enough for treating headaches or even migraine. Hence, it is advisable to take a week off before using the second dosage of the essential oils.
So, begin with a natural way to get rid of headaches for long-term benefits rather than getting engaged with chemicals that come with dangerous side effects.
Did You Know?
- Essential oils are made naturally, and hence, they cannot be patented.
- The essential oils are not oils but the concentrated parts of the plants that contain cosmetic and medical qualities.
- Fragrance oils are not similar to essential oils. They are just a kind of perfumes which give out natural fragrance.
- In marketing terms, essential oils are known as Therapeutic Grade.
- Since ancient times, Essential oils have been used for various health and wellness purpose.
- The essential oils can be taken in various ways, that is, by mixing in meals, diffusion in the air, during a bath, an application on skin, etc.
- Diffusion of the essential oils can increase the amount of oxygen in the air.
- Aromatherapy, the word came into existence in the 20th century.
- It was in the 1950s when the essential oils were introduced for massage therapy.
Read more – How to Get Rid of a Headache Instantly?