Table of Contents Hide
- Some Facts You Need To Know About Dandruff
- Facts How Essential Oil Helps For Healthy Hair
- Do Essential Oils Help In The Treatment Of Dandruff?
- What Is Dandruff And What Are Its Causes?
- Essential Oil For Dandruff Treatment
- What Things Should I Consider While Using The Essential Oils?
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Some Facts You Need To Know About Dandruff
- Dandruff is a type of Fungus which is due to the flash flood of surplus skin which turns out in the form of dandruff.
- Many people believe dandruff is caused due to dryness. The fact is that dandruff is the result of excess oil.
- Scratching the skin while having dandruff can the inflamed skin go worse leading to big chunks.
- Shocking but true, regular exercise can help in clearing dandruff as it increases the blood flow for healthy hair and skin.
- Dandruff is not only observed on your head, but it can also appear on the eyebrows, nose, and eyes too.
- Dandruff can also increase the chances of hair loss.
Facts How Essential Oil Helps For Healthy Hair
- Essential oils help in balancing the oily texture on the scalp leading to dandruff.
- The oils kill the yeast, bacteria and other germs that increase dandruff.
- The essential oils also reduce the itching of the scalp and the redness too with its anti-fungal properties for controlling the fungus.
- Essential oils have healing properties that help in the treatment of a flaky scalp by calming the dry skin.
- The essential oils help with moisturizing to the hair and the scalp that work on the fungus of the scalp and clean it removing dandruff
Do Essential Oils Help In The Treatment Of Dandruff?
Are you tired of trying everything for getting rid of dandruff? But it still appears again and again? Have you tried using essential oil for dandruff? Why not give it a try?
Yes, nearly 8 out of 10 people are having dandruff issues and are really fed up of trying to get rid of it. Also known as flaky white skin, dandruff comes with embarrassing moments when finding on your tops or sweaters, especially, those black in color. For treating this frustrating dandruff, people generally look for various shampoos, conditioners and hair oils. But all these chemical based options might help you for short periods, but don’t help in completely treating the same.
So, are you also looking for a healthy supplement to all these chemical based products? The essential oils for dry scalp are surely going to help you in an effective way. But for this, let’s first understand about dandruff.
What Is Dandruff And What Are Its Causes?
Dandruff is nothing but the overproduction of the dead skin on the scalp which shades off when scratched or while combing hair. The main reason for this condition is the excess amount of oil in the skin, but apart from this, there are various other reasons too. Also, dandruff is widely observed in the winter season when the dry winds are damaging the scalp.
Some other causes of dandruff include:
- Fungus and yeast infection
- Improper way of washing hair and scalp
- Too much washing of hair and scalp
- Too dry or too oily scalp
- Psoriasis or Eczema
- Lack of proper diet
- Lack of required water in the body
- Changes in the environment
- Reactions due to hair products
- Lack of required nutrients in the body, particularly Vitamin-E
The dead skin, dandruff can lead to irritating situations and when given a touch of the nails, it can also worsen the scalp conditions. It can result in serious conditions like redness, itching, seborrheic dermatitis, cradle cap, and many such dandruff conditions.
Essential Oil For Dandruff Treatment
There are various essential oils that help with therapeutic treatments for the hair. They are much beneficial for the hair as compared to other chemical based products for controlling dandruff. Some of them are used by combining them with other oils or products or used directly in diluted form.
Here are some of the essential oils for dry scalp that are widely advised for removing dandruff.
1. Rosemary Essential Oil
The best among the oils, Rosemary essential oil for dandruff is much effective on dandruff. The oil contains properties like antibacterial and antifungal that help in restoring the oil balance of the scalp. When used, the oil also increases the blood circulation which helps in proper growth of healthy hair.
To use Rosemary essential oil, follow the given instructions:
- Take a few drops of the essential oil and combine it with your shampoo.
- Knead well and apply on your scalp properly.
- Wash with normal water.
- You can also combine a few drops of essential oil with coconut oil.
- Mix well and apply on the scalp.
- Keep the combination on the scalp overnight.
- Wash out using normal water in the morning.
2. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil for dandruff comes with features like antifungal and anti-inflammatory which help in controlling the fungus leading to dandruff. Along with dandruff, the oil is also beneficial for reducing the impact of redness and itching on the scalp giving you a health scalp free from germs.
To use the oil, carry out the following steps:
- Add around 8 drops of the essential oil in any of your regular hair oil.
- Apply the oil on the scalp and leave it for a night on the hair.
- Wash away using warm water.
3. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is also popular for the antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties. Application of this oil helps in the treatment of dandruff for reducing it and preventing from it.
To use this essential oil, follow the steps below:
- Take your hair oil and add some drops of Eucalyptus oil in it.
- Warm the oil and apply on your scalp.
- Massage the hair and scalp with
- Allow it to work on the scalp overnight.
- Wash your hair and scalp using normal shampoo.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil for itchy scalp comes with powerful features like antiseptic, antimicrobial, and antibacterial that help in fighting against the yeast infection, bacteria and germs that damage the scalp causing dandruff. The oil helps with a soothing and cool sensation for treating itchy and inflamed scalp.
To use this magical oil, follow the instructions below:
- Take around 6 drops of the essential oil and add it to olive oil
- You can also replace olive oil with jojoba oil or coconut oil
- Massage the oil on the scalp and leave it for one night
- Wash the scalp using warm water in the morning
5. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is much helpful in treating the flaky scalps. This is among the essential oils for dry hair which helps in reducing the redness, inflammation and heating sensation that can also cause dermatitis in serious conditions. The oil comes with features that help in controlling the impact of fungus on the scalp too and helps the hair with a moisturizing impact.
To use this balancing essential oil:
- Add 8 or 10 drops of essential oil in your regular oil.
- Apply the oil on the scalp.
- Rinse your hair properly the next morning.
- The other way the oil can be used is by rinsing the hair with it.
- For this, use around 5-7 drops of the oil adding it to distilled water.
- Rinse the hair with this solution.
6. Lemon Citrus Essential Oil
Lemon citrus is an essential oil for dandruff that adds properties like antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial to your oil or scalp. The powerful oil increases the blood flow to the scalp and helps in balancing the oil content in the hair causing dandruff. The oil is much effective for flaky and itchy scalps. The oil uplifts the hair and improves its condition well.
Want to use this essential oil? Here is what you have to do:
- Take around 10 drops of Lemon Citrus essential oil.
- Mix the drops with around 200ml of normal or regular shampoo.
- Apply the shampoo on the scalp and massage it for a minute or two.
- Wash away the scalp with normal water.
7. West Indian Bay Essential Oil
Also known as Pimenta Racemosa, this ingredient is an amazing hair tonic in the form of essential oil. This is among the essential oils for the dry scalp that comes with features like antifungal and antiseptic that promote healthy hair growth and also improve the creasy scalp condition reducing dandruff.
Here is how you can use this essential oil:
- Take 3 drops of West Indian Bay essential oil, a drop of lavender essential oil for dandruff and 2 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Blend them properly making a diluted mixture.
- Mix it with regular oil and massage the scalp gently.
- Keep the oil for around 30 minutes or more.
- Wash out with natural shampoo.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar diluted in water while rinsing for additional benefits.
Along with all these, some other essential oils for getting rid of dandruff include Cedarwood essential oil, Carrot seed essential oil, Peppermint essential oil, Patchouli essential oil, Thyme essential oil, etc. All the essential oils help in preventing the scalp from dandruff in a natural way and also help your hair with other health benefits in a natural way.
What Things Should I Consider While Using The Essential Oils?
No doubt, the essential oils are natural ingredients and come with zero chances of side effects, there are still some precautions one must consider while using them. Here are some points you need to keep in mind.
- Any essential oil for dandruff comes in a concentrated form which can result into scalp irritation. So, make sure you don’t use them directly on the scalp. Mix them with other regular oils like avocado oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, wheat germ oil, olive oil, etc. for use.
- Choose approved stores for getting pure essential oils to avoid any damage to the scalp.
- The essential oils must not be used when you are allergic to them or pregnant. In case you are using, make sure you consult your doctor for the dosage.
- While using for the first time, carry out a small patch test to avoid serious side effects of the essential oil.
- The oil is not also advised for infants without consulting the doctors.
- Dandruff is an issue that keeps on embarrassing the people having it every now and then. But simply waiting for it to stop naturally is surely a wrong idea.
So, are you ready to fight against dandruff for a permanent solution? Try using the essential oils and write me your experiences and reviews.
Read Next – Best Essential Oils for Sound Sleep!