The aromatic herb, also known as Thymus Vulgaris, carries various medical benefits along with gastronomic and decorative uses too. The plant can be used in the form of leaves, flowers and oil extracted from it. All these parts of the herb are mainly beneficial for health problems like bedwetting, stomach ache, diarrhea, colic, arthritis, whooping cough, sore throat, coughs, flatulence, bronchitis, diuretic, etc.
It is also used in giving a rich taste to the seasonal food items like meat, pasta, fish, or even ice cream. This popular herb is also used in various aromatherapy sessions. The magical herb is not only a powerful herb, but also a detoxifying element, immune booster, an anti-septic, anti-parasitic, anti-viral, anti-rheumatic, and anti-fungal linctus. Let’s discuss here the Thyme Benefits in detail.
The oil obtained from thyme is widely used as a perennial herb, useful in aromatherapy, potpourri, cooking, mouthwash, elixirs, ointments, etc. It is widely used in the Mediterranean countries as well as Ayurvedic prepares. The Egyptians used it in the process of mummifying, while it was used as an incense in the temples of Greece. For the Romans, thyme was an ingredient to increase the flavor or alcoholic brews.
In short, it can be said that thyme is a treasure box, with several magical physiognomies.
Different Types Of Thyme
Do you know thyme comes with nearly 300 different types of varieties! Yes, that’s true. Thyme is an herbal plant, which contains various chemotypes. They might have similar appearances, but have different chemical compositions. You can avail with a variety of oils from thyme, and each oil would give you singular therapeutic advantages. Here are some of the widely known and used thyme plants.
- Thymus Vulgaris Thymol
- Thymus Vulgaris Linalool
- Thymus Vulgaris Carvacrol
- Thymus Vulgaris Thujanol
- Thymus vulgaris Alpha-Terpineol
- Thymus Vulgaris Geraniol
- Thymus Vulgaris 1,8 Cineole
- Thymus Vulgaris P-Cymene
- Thymus Vulgaris Phenol and much more.
All the varieties of thyme need a different environment to grow and develop. They require unalike climate and soil, which gives it different chemical structure.
Have you heard of Benefits of Matcha Green Tea? Click here to read more…
We will see here the thyme benefits for overall health.
Thyme Benefits For Health
1. For Cancer Treatments
Researchers have proved that the wild thyme has shown remarkable results in breast cancer cells. Thyme is a promising ingredient in the growth of therapeutic drugs used for healing breast cancer. It works as a strong healer for dead cells and breast cancer cells, as it starts working in merely 72 hours. The thyme oil is also very important in the treatment of ovarian cancer and oral cancer. The extracts obtained from resin thyme help in the treatment of colon cancer. Hence, thyme is a strong and effective anti-carcinogenic element.
2. Thyme Benefits Reduces Acne
Thyme has been much more effective on acne, than other creams and ointment available in the market. It kills major of the bacterium, leading to acne than other options. Thyme includes a great amount of anti-bacterial substances than other products, which is an active ingredient for people facing acne problems. Thyme Benefits not only deals with the acne and prevents from arriving acne again, but also helps in vanishing the dead acne spots from the face.
3.Thyme Benefits Deals Effectively With Spasms
Cough, headache, stomach aches, pain due to spasms, cramps, etc. have become a common problem among the people these days. These spasms are nothing but unwanted instinctive contradictions which takes place in organs like nervous system, respiratory system, intestines, muscles, etc. in excess. A hindrance to all these systems leads to problems like convulsions, coughs, hysterical attacks, muscular aches, cramps, abdominal pain, spasmodic cholera, etc. Thyme carries anti-spasmodic elements, which would be helpful in reducing or waning such health effects.
4. Best For Rheumatic Problems
Rheumatism is a result of two major disorders like gout and arthritis. The improper circulation of blood and increase in the toxics such as uric acid, are the main causes of arthritis. Thyme has the capability to solve all such issues. It is helpful in increasing urination, for removing the toxins from the body. Thyme acts as a stimulator and activates the circulation of blood, and gives away to the toxins. Thus, it helps in treating rheumatism by curing arthritis and gout.
5. Gives Quick Healing Of Wounds
Thyme carries active antiseptic features. The oil extracted from thyme work as amazing curer for problems like wounds, sores, infections, etc. Thyme carries elements like camphene and caryophyllene, which are active wound healers and give quick results. Along with wounds, it also works effectively on deep cuts and scrapes, which lessen infections caused from it. It is also effective on bacteria and fungus too.
6. Helps In Reducing Blood Pressure
Wild thyme is also helpful in reducing the blood pressure in the human bodies. It helps in reducing the hypertension situations or depression. Thyme contains an element named chemotypes, which is a vital ingredient for unraveling the problems like hypertension or hypertensives. It controls the blood pressure and cholesterol, as well as, increases the active fats in the liver, brain and kidney.
7. Carries Anti-Bacterial Features
The elements camphene and caryophyllene give thyme oil, essential feature of being antibacterial. These elements impede the growth of bacteria inside the body as well as outside the body. It is beneficial for infections like B-Colitis, genital infections, renal colic, urethra infections, respiratory infections and intestine infections caused due to bacteria. Hence, it acts as an anti-bacterial for both internal infection and outer wounds too.
8. Thyme Benefits With Boosting Features
This one of the amazing Thyme Benefits. Thyme oil is quite helpful for boosting nearly all the organs and body systems like the circulatory system, nervous system, heart, digestive system, skin, muscles, etc. by helping them in functioning properly. It boosts them and increases the immune system to work more effectively.
9. Thyme Helps With Cardiac Problems
For a healthy life, the cardiac system or say the heart needs to function properly. Thyme oil helps with the growing problems of the cardiac system. The oil is quite beneficial for the heart and its functions. The elements in thyme help the valves to function accurately due to the anti-spasmodic characteristics. It diminishes the arteries and veins, which help to reduce the blood pressure and lessens the stress on the heart. The oil gives strength to the cardiac muscles and tenors the heart.
10. For Pleasant Stomach And Intestine
The stomach and intestine, many times give you unfriendly odor. When unpleasant the stomach and intestine can give you disorders like appetite problems, insomnia, increase in blood pressure, increases the chances of heart attacks, severe stomach aches, vomiting, cramps, nausea and headache. The gas it builds can also threat your life in danger. Thyme oil acts as a carminative, and as an antispasmodic for the gas. It helps in the removal of gas with either upward or downward movement. It also protects the stomach and intestine from gastric problems instantly.
11. Helps With Menstrual Problems
Having problems like menstruation cramps, irregular periods, menopause, etc.! This is a common problem faced by nearly all the women during their menstrual period. Thyme oil is the ultimate solution to problems like congested menses, abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, depression, low blood pressure, etc. The oil is also capable to delay your menopause period giving you a happy, healthy and fertile life.
12. Kills The Fungus – Yeast
The fungus in the stomach is the main reason for problems like mouth infections or vaginal yeast infections. Also known as thrush, the vaginal yeast infection is much periodic. Thyme oil here by plays a vital role in killing the fungus in the yeast for a pleasant and infection free system.
Other than all these, thyme is also used for health problems like killing worms in the stomach, as an antibiotic for chest infections, secretion of hormones, for improving memory, an anti-depressant, bronchitis, cellulite, anorexia, sinusitis, dermatitis, bites from animals or insects, pharyngitis, laryngitis, bad breath, body odor, etc.
In this article, we will know Cilantro Health Benefits or Coriander Leaves Juice Benefits.
Thyme – Side Effects
Although thyme is very much safe when consumed in adequate amount through food items, or when taken as a medicine for a short time period, the increase or overdose can lead to disorders in the digestive system. It is also sometimes unsafe, causing irritation when applied to the skin. Here are some precautions one needs to look after, while using thyme oil.
- Thyme is safe when given to the children in sufficient quantity through food, or in medications. However, it is not yet prescribed to apply it on the skin of the children or taken through mouth. Hence, before including it in the diet, make sure you visit a doctor.
- For the pregnant women or breastfeeding women, it is safe to have thyme in normal food quantity. However, it may cause serious disorders if taken in large amount through medicines. It is, hence, advisable for such women, to have more ingredient in food, other than depending on the thyme or similar herbs.
- Are you having allergy towards oregano or other similar food items! In such situations, you have to avoid thyme also, as it may also prove to be allergic to you.
- When taken in a large quantity, it may result into slowing of blood clotting or increase the risk of bleeding.
- If you are having any adverse effect when your body is exposed to estrogen! Avoid thyme as its intake may increase the risk of sensitization in hormones, leading to problems like breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, etc.
- Thyme is also not recommended post-surgery, during surgery or before surgery. Thyme may slow down the process of clotting of blood, and hence, the intake should be denied approximately 2 weeks before the surgery.
- Are you having medications like aspirin, diclofenac, clopidogrel, ibuprofen, dalteparin, naproxen, enoxaparin, warfarin, heparin, etc. Taking thyme would surely increase the chances of bleeding and bruising, as it reduces the blood clotting.
Culinary and Medicinal Uses Of Thyme
The multipurpose herb is used in adding flavor to your favorite recipes, and is also used as a medicine in various forms. Adding a pinch of thyme while garnishing would surely give you both flavor and fragrance for a mouthwatering effect. Here are some cooking and medicinal uses of thyme.
- It is a popular health drink, in the form of thyme herbal tea.
- It is useful in the preparation of seasonal soups and sauces.
- It is a prime ingredient along with bay leaf, celery and parsley for the preparation of bouquet garni.
- It is included as a spicy item while making marinated food or in the stuffing of fish, chicken and other meat recipes.
- The oil from thyme has antiseptic and anti-fungal features for healing wounds or treating fungus.
- Adding a few drops of tepid thyme to water and gargling with it is useful for throat infections like cough.
- Having some sips of thyme tea gives you alleviate from sore throats, coughs and other bronchitis symptoms.
- There are some mouthwashes available in the market, which are made using thyme formulations, for problems like caries and gingivitis.
Facts Related To Thyme
- Thyme is one of the evergreen plants. It comes with a small texture, along with leaves filled with aroma, and ovular in shape.
- Flowers of thyme come in three different colors like purple, white and yellow. The flowers come in clusters at the end of the branch.
- The flowers of thyme contain both male and female reproductive organs, namely stamens and pistil respectively.
- The leaves and the flowers of thyme are used as spices in soups, sauces and stews. They can either be used dry or fresh for spicing up red meat, fish, chicken and root vegetables.
- The Greeks used thyme for having an aromatic bath.
- Thyme was worn as a symbol of courage by the brave knights in their stoles to decorate them.
- To have a sound sleep and avoid dangerous nightmares, thyme was placed under the pillows. For this, leaves or thyme flowers were used.
- The pollination process in thyme is carried out by a special kind of honey bee named Hymettus honey bee.
- Thymes were also placed in the coffins during funerals for a secure and efficacious opening for a new life.
- The antiseptic features in a thyme arrive from the oils derived from the leaves and flowers known as thymol.
- Thyme is one of the perennial plants, which can persist for minimum 2 years.
Whether select to use it fresh, dried or in the form of oil, Thyme benefits has all the necessary positivity’s to provide you the best medicinal and cookery benefits. Use it once, and you are surely going to include your name in its fan list.
Originally posted 2017-06-17 05:34:28. Republished by Blog Post Promoter