Have you tasted apricots? Apricots are sweet, resembling peaches and are related to a variety of health benefits which you must be aware of! Come, let us have a look at the apricot benefits and get a brief understanding of it.
What an Apricot Is?
Apricot is a fruit which is rich in nutrients essential for your body. Apricots come under Rosaceae family of fruit trees. It is a small fruit with a single seed which is located centrally surrounded by its pulp. The apricots skin is of velvety red, orange and yellow colors. These colors are due to the presence of phytochemical named carotenoids. The seed tastes like almonds and is covered by a hard shell named stone. This fruit is also known as “khubani”.
Nutritional Value of Apricot
The nutritional value of apricot is enormous. Apricots are packed with essential nutrients for your body, vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin K, vitamin E, certain minerals and dietary fiber. Apricot health benefits are extensive as it holds more of nutritional elements.
Nutritional value per 100 gms –
- Calories – 48
- Carbohydrate – 11 gms
- Protein – 4 gms
- Potassium – 259 mg
- Sodium – 1 mg
- Magnesium – 2%
- Fat – 4 mg
- Vitamin A – 38 % (674.10 IU for 35 gms)
- Calcium – 01
- Vitamin C – 50 mg for 35 gms
- Vitamin k – 16 mcg for 35 gms
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – 0.30 mg for 35 gms
- Iron – 2%
- Vitamin B6 – 5%
These are the apricot fruit obtained by drying it where the water content of the apricot gets evaporated by maintaining the nutritional value of it. Dried apricots are rich in nutrients which is essential for one’s health. Apricot benefits are numerous and which is as follows,
Health Benefits of Dried Apricots
1. For Anemic Patients
- Anemia is a condition which occurs by the reduction of red blood cells and hemoglobin, leads to fatigue, pallor and metabolic dysfunction.
- Apricot promotes hemoglobin formation due to the presence of copper and iron in it.
- The copper and iron content of apricots combat with anemia on regular intake of this fruit.
- Copper in apricots helps in the absorption of iron.
- This helps to maintain the normal hemoglobin and the red blood cell levels in the blood, thereby regulating the normal function of the human body.
- Thus apricots seem to be a better tool for anemic patients.
2. Helps to Relieve Constipation
- The high fiber content of apricots regulates the bowel movement properly.
- Fiber increases the absorption of other nutrients in your body by stimulating the gastric and digestive juices.
- Fibers make the retention of water in the stool which in turn makes the stool softer, paves a way to pass through the intestine in an easy way.
- It cleanses out intestines regularly thereby protects you from the gastrointestinal issues.
- This guarantees a healthy and regular bowel activity by activating the peristaltic movements of the digestive tract.
- Pectin in the dried apricots contains cellulose, mild laxative that helps in relieving constipation.
- Due to its laxative properties, apricot benefits the persons suffering from constipation.
3. For Bones
- Apricots play a role in maintaining bones health.
- Iron, manganese, phosphorus and calcium in apricots are the significant minerals essential for bone growth and density, preventing osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Taking apricots on regular basis promotes strong and healthy bones.
- Calcium is the major element which has a direct impact over the formation and development of bones.
- Potassium is essential for the absorption and distribution of calcium. Even apricot is rich in potassium too.
- Hence apricot improves calcium level in the bones for maintaining its health.
4. Reduces Risks of Cancer
- Free radicals, a cellular metabolism byproduct that causes unhealthy effects in the body by affecting the cell production.
- Production of a healthy cell is compromised leading to cancerous cell formation by those free radicals in your body.
- Apricots act as an anti-oxidant, wards off free radical formation which removes toxins from your body.
- Carotenoids in apricots also ensure the prevention of cancer growth.
- Anti-oxidants in vitamin A and vitamin C, carotenoids in apricots boost up your immunity and battles with the cancer cells.
5. Relieves Fever
- Normally, an increase in the number of bacteria raises your body temperature called fever.
- The detoxifying effects of apricots prevent the bacterial build-up in your body, relieving fever.
- Apricot extract maintains the temperature by soothing your body.
- You can provide apricot juice for the persons suffering from fever.
- It also provides the requisite minerals, vitamin and water for the body which put down the body temperature.
- Apricots antioxidants and its anti-inflammatory properties boost your immunity system preserving the health.
6. For Skin
- Apricots maintain healthy skin.
- This is due to the presence of its anti-oxidant effect.
- Vitamin A, vitamin C, and B vitamins are responsible for preserving the skin’s well-being.
- Apricot oil treats skin irritations, itching and its associated diseases like scabies, eczema, sunburn etc.,
- This oil acts as the best moisturizer for your skin preventing dryness.
- Apricot scrubs can also be used to exfoliate the dead skin cells, gives out a young-looking and revitalized skin.
- Apricot also prevents the signs of premature aging due to the anti-oxidants in it and furnishes you with smooth and shiny skin.
- Have apricots daily to ensure good and healthy skin.
7. Helps in Regulating Heartbeat
- Apricot benefits in staving off many types of heart diseases.
- The anti-oxidant property removes the collection of free radicals thereby giving strength to the artery and vein walls which reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Potassium in apricots improves the blood circulation by relaxing the artery and vein and also balances the electrolyte levels, reducing the blood pressure.
- This permits the proper function of the heart avoiding the blockages.
- Apricots also aid the regulating the heartbeat by synchronizing the fluid balance.
- Good cardiovascular health is conserved by the presence of vitamin C as well as potassium and dietary fiber in apricots.
- Presence of cholesterol over the lining of the arteries is scraped off by the dietary fiber providing good blood circulation thereby reducing the effort of the heart to pump.
8. For Good Vision
- Apricots give out the good vision and protect you from age-related eyesight problems.
- Vitamin A is responsible for maintaining good eyesight by strengthening the optic nerves.
- Free radicals affect the eye lenses causing cataracts and eye damage.
- Anti-oxidants remove free radicals, improving good vision and maintain good eye health.
- Apricots treat cataracts and its regular intake reduces the risk of blurred vision on aging.
- Apricots are a strong dietary source of carotenoids and xanthophylls which is believed to improve the vision from age-related issues.
- Neovascular ARMD is an age-related degeneration of the muscles causing vision loss over years. Apricots reduce the risk of developing this eye disorder.
- Ophthalmic health is maintained by the intake of apricots on regular basis.
9. Helps in Relieving Asthma
- Apricots have an anti-asthmatic property which prevents and cures asthma.
- Dried apricots cure the symptoms of asthma, tuberculosis and bronchitis by stabilizing lungs and respiratory system.
- Apricot oil relieves the pressure and stress on the lungs and the respiratory system put a stop to asthmatic attacks.
- Thus apricot benefits the asthmatic patients.
10. Anti-inflammatory Effect
- Apricots are packed with catechins which is a flavonoid phytonutrient.
- An apricot fruit contains 4-5 grams from catechins.
- These flavonoid phytonutrients are anti-inflammatory nutrients that have its own effect towards health.
- An enzyme named cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) is responsible for the process of inflammation.
- Catechins in the apricot fruit inhibit the activity of the cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme, reducing the effect of inflammation.
11. For Ladies
- Apricot benefits a lot for ladies.
- This has a curative effect for infertility.
- It also restores the health of the vagina by curing vaginal infections.
- Apricots can not only be consumed by pregnant ladies but also the lactating mothers at moderate quantities to gain its benefits.
- Moreover, apricots have been used during earlier days as a herbal medicine for pregnancy.
12. Improves Metabolism
- As we confer about apricots effect, it improves the metabolism.
- It brushes up the digestive system, increases metabolism.
- Fiber and potassium in apricots be a part in muscle-building, improving metabolism and the growth of the body.
- It also improves the protein synthesis by modulating the acid levels in your body.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do apricots helpful in coagulation?
Yes, apricots contain vitamin K which is essential for clotting.
2. Is apricot, a good option for weight loss?
Apricots contain low calories with most of the essential nutrients required for your body. This fruit also makes you feel full for a longer duration thus helps in weight reduction protocol.
3. Is there any side effects of apricots?
Some persons might experience allergic symptoms mainly the persons with sulphur sensitivity. As the apricots have sulphites it might induce asthmatic attacks. Apricots also associated with stomach upset. Be aware of its side effects before consuming it.
Apricot benefits towards your health are of great extent. Include this fruit in your diet to take in the advantages of it to have a healthy life.
Read Next –Check What Pistachios Has Got For You?