Drumstick is also known as moringa which is referred to as a ‘miracle tree.’ In this article, we will share with you drumstick or moringa benefits for health, hair and skin.
We use drumstick in our vegetable gravies or sambars or rasams on a wide basis. It is absolutely beneficial for our health, particularly for women who are weak or are pregnant. If added in gravies, it adds a delicious taste to the food.
Just as every part of a coconut is useful right from the water, the grated part, etc. Similarly, every part of a drumstick tree is also beneficial for a person’s health. For example, the leaves, the flower, seeds, roots and the gum. The overall tree is fortified with healthy nutrients that are extremely beneficial for the health of a person.
Properties of Drumstick
- Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E
- Vitamin B Complex
- Water content and fibre
When we say that drumstick leaves contain calcium, the amount of calcium is twice that that of the calcium found in milk. On the same parlance, when it is said drumsticks are infused with iron, the iron content is thrice more than that of the iron content in spinach. Hence, it is advisable to consume as much as drumstick leaves on a regular basis to derive benefits out of it in the form of vitamins, calcium and iron. Vegetarians who do not eat poultry foods must consume drumstick leaves in the form of sabjis or soups.
Apart from the above nutrients, drumstick leaves also contain amino acids and other types of vitamins.
Drumstick or Moringa Benefits
1. Drumstick or Moringa Benefits for Health
Let us first understand the drumstick or moringa benefits for health in brief.
- Naturally loaded with calcium and iron, drumstick leaves are essential for healthy bones. As the drumstick leaves contain Vitamin B complex, it stimulates the nervous system. Consumption of drumstick leaves prevents risks relating to the heart diseases. Fortified with Vitamin C content, drumstick leaves boosts the immune system of a person. It will help a person in preventing from several disorders. Comprising of antioxidants, it fights against cancer-related cells in the body.
- Pregnant women need large quantities of calcium and iron for themselves and for the unborn baby. Drumstick leaves also work as an appetizer and increases ones’ appetite. It throws away the unnecessary toxins from the body. For persons suffering from diabetes, drumstick leaves help in regulating blood sugar levels. Drumstick leaves help in smooth functioning of the digestive system and prevents from stomach issues such as constipation or indigestion.
- Drumstick leaves help in regulated blood pressure levels. It helps in fighting against severe diseases such as arthritis, asthma, etc.
2. Drumstick or Moringa Benefits for Skin
- Women are not much aware that application of drumstick leaves externally can lead to a flawless and healthy skin too. Hence, let us enlighten ourselves in understanding its benefits.
- Comprised with anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, drumstick leaves help in getting rid of acne and other skin concerns. If you apply drumstick leaves regularly, then you can get rid of stubborn acne within a few weeks. Extract juice of drumstick leaves and mix a spoon of lemon juice into it. Apply on the acne for 5-7 minutes and wash it off with water.
- The anti-bacterial properties contained in drumstick leaves assist in proper cleansing of the skin. Hence, drumstick leaves are known as purifying agents in the skin care regime. They will remove all the impurities accumulated on the face such as pollutants, dirt, dust, etc.
- Drumstick leaves play an important role to make your skin look youthful, fresh and pleasant. It prevents the skin from getting affected by free radicals. It helps in building new skin cells for rejuvenation purpose.
- The antiseptic properties in drumstick leaves help in curing minor injuries and wounds. It heals the injuries in least possible time.
- Drumstick leaves are also anti-aging agents. They slow the natural aging process by reducing fine lines and wrinkles appearing on the skin. It makes your skin healthy by providing all types of antioxidants. For women who tend to gain weight after 40 must consume drumstick leaves for weight loss.
- Drumstick leaves help in restoring the even tone of the skin and lightens it.
3 . Moringa Benefits for Hair
- Loaded with larger quantities of calcium, vitamins and iron, drumstick leaves are best for hair growth and overall health. In order to boost hair volume, one needs to consume important nutrients such as Vitamin B3, iron, calcium and Vitamin C. Fortunately, all these nutrients are contained in drumstick leaves in large quantities. If you drink drumstick leaves juice regularly, then you can get rid of hair loss problems.
- Another way to use drumstick leaves is to apply on the scalp and hair as hair packs. You can extract drumstick leaves juice and mix it with amla powder and one of your favourite hair oils such as coconut oil or olive oil for better consistency. Massage it into the scalp and leave it for 15-20 minutes so that it blends nicely and supplies all the essential nutrients to the scalp. Wash it off with a regular or an herbal shampoo. Repeat his process once or even twice a week if your hair loss problem is severe.
- As drumstick leaves are cleansing agents, they remove the impurities collected on the hair and the scalp. The leaves fight against dandruff, dry and frizzy hair and hair damage due to environmental factors. It enhances the blood circulation along with scalp that provides more nutrients to the hair follicles, promoting hair growth.
Thus, the moringa or the drumstick leaves are powerhouses and suppliers of essential nutrients to the body. It needs to be incorporated in the daily diet plan to infuse our food with all the power-packed nutrients. Pregnant women, people who suffer from anemia, asthma, or weakness due to a serious sickness must consume drumstick leaves on a daily basis.
There are many interesting recipes that contain drumstick leaves to a large extent. Hence, you can add taste to your existing cuisine by including drumstick leaves recipes.
Similarly, applying drumstick leaves externally on the skin and hair will also provide health benefits.
So now that you have known the drumstick or moringa benefits, start using it for your health and wellbeing. If you loved this article then please give your valuable comments in the comments section. Also, share this article on social media with your friends to share the good word.