Need Soft, Silky Hair? Learn How to Moisturize Hair the ‘Natural’ Way!
‘Oh! You have such beautiful Natural hair!’
‘Your hair is so soft and silky!’
‘How come you Natural hair is looking so shiny without being sticky?’
‘What is Your Secret?’
These are just some of the compliments that are going to come your way after you have tried them in this article.Smooth, soft, healthy hair has always been the dream of everyone, be it men or women. You want the ‘Natural’ textured look, but not sure how to maintain it and keep it in good condition.
Store bought products may seem to give instant results but end up damaging the hair in the long run. You don’t have to look further than your kitchen to get the desired looks with NO side effects.
So, we are going to list out the ways on How to Moisturize Hair with the use of moisturizing oils for hair and natural hair softener.
Your Natural Hair Needs Moisture…
Just like how our skin requires moisturizers, so do our hair. We subject our hair to sun, pollution, chemical induced products, hair dryers, too much of washing etc which could be traumatic. All this leads to dryness and dullness of the natural hair.
Sometimes there is not enough natural oil is produced in the scalp keep the hair moisturized. So we need to give an additional boost to our hair for it to recover from all the traumatic experiences.
Benefits of Moisturizing Include…
- Keeps your scalp from drying which in turn keeps dandruff at bay.
- Helps in managing tangles and in the easy styling of Natural hair.
- Keeps your Natural hair healthy and prevents falling of hair.
- Finally, moisturize for the shiny, soft, silky look!
Now, the question in your mind is How to Moisturize Hair with natural ingredients.
Let’s Look at How to Make Homemade Natural Hair Moisturizers…
1. Curry Leaves With Egg White
Curry leaves are hair’s best friend. They are packed with nutrients required to strengthen your Natural hair and prevents dryness. Egg whites are full of protein and help in hair growth. Combined, they make the best Natural Hair Softener which is very simple to make…
- Take around 10 arcs of fresh curry leaves.
- Grind into a paste.
- Mix one egg’s white alone with the curry leaves paste.
- Apply on the roots and smooth it till the end.
- Keep it on for 5-10 minutes and wash off.
2. Fenugreek Seeds
Get ready to make your natural hair shiny and glossy with this Homemade Natural Hair Moisturizer. Fenugreek contains nicotinic acid and high protein which adds moisture to the hair keeping it luscious and shiny. It also prevents dandruff and hair fall. Just follow these simple steps.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Grind them into a paste.
- Apply on the roots and for the entire length of the hair.
- Keep it on for 15 minutes and wash off.
The flower and leaves of Hibiscus have in it, abundant Vitamins and other nutrients which act as best natural moisturizer for your hair. I am sure you are eager to know how to keep natural hair moisturized with this amazing wonder flower. So here goes…
- Take one hibiscus flower and few leaves and grind them into a paste.
- Add one tablespoon of yoghurt and mix well.
- Apply on the roots and for the entire length of the hair.
- Keep it on for an hour and wash off with warm water and homemade shampoo.
Now you can throw away all those chemical conditioners and switch to these wonderful Natural Hair Softeners which are both simple to make and cost-effective.
Moisturizing Oils for Hair…
It is very important that you use the right kind of oil for your hair which can penetrate the scalp and strengthen the hair follicle within. You need to know the difference and How to keep natural hair moisturized with the correct Oil.
There are two kinds of oils:
1. Sealing Oil
It is used to seal the moisture in the scalp. Sits on top of the hair and sometimes clogs the pores. Mainly used for braiding and styling, it might lead to dryness and make your hair brittle. Also, you may be inviting dandruff if these kinds of oil are used in excess. Example Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
2. Moisturizing Oil
It is easily absorbed by the skin and actually helps moisturize it. BEST to stimulate hair growth and use as natural Moisturizing oil for hair.The best Moisturizing oils for hair are Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Avocado oil.
How to Moisturize Hair with the Moisturizing Oil?
1. Preparation of Oil
- Take any one the above mentioned Moisturizing oil. (Works best with coconut oil)
- Put the oil in a pan and add curry leaves paste to it.
- Keep the pan on low flame
- Let the oil heat till all the water evaporates. (Splattering sound will stop)
- Switch off and strain the oil once it cools off.
- Your Homemade Moisturizing Oil for Hair is ready for use!
You can also use the juice of gooseberry on the place of or in addition to curry leaves. The preparation method is the same.Gooseberry is known a ‘Super Food’ for hair as it contains numerous nutrients and fatty acids which give strength to the hair from the root to the end. It acts as a Natural Hair Softener and treats various scalp related problems.
Massaging the scalp induces blood circulation in that area and also enables the oil to penetrate deeply. This helps in growing strong and healthy natural hair.
The Right way to massage Natural Hair …
- Take any one of the best Moisturizing oils, that is, Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado oil.
- Slightly heat the oil in low flame.
- Take a spoonful in your palm and apply on the centre of your head.
- Gently tap your centre head with your palm.
- Take some more oil in your fingers and start massaging your scalp in small circular motions.
- Do not rub with the fingernails as it may cause scratching and hurt the scalp.
- Continue for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat a towel with a dryer and wrap it around your hair.
- Wash hair after 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process at least twice or thrice a week and watch your Natural hair grow strong and shiny in no time at all!
Now you know all the secrets on How to Moisturize Hair the natural way!
Homemade Shampoos You will Definitely Love…
What do you use to rinse away the hair packs and oils? Don’t reach for the chemical filled ones which do more harm to your skin than good. Instead, you can use this DIY shampoo with natural ingredients…
What Do You Need?
- Plain Water ½ cup – (Your favourite Herbal tea water can also be used instead of water to add a pleasant fragrance to your Homemade Natural Shampoo.
- Clear liquid soap that is castle vegetable based ½ cup
- Glycerin 1 teaspoon
- Essential Oil (few drops) – Can be omitted for oily hair.
How To Prepare?
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Shake well before each use.
Always rinse off with cool or warm water. Avoid using hot hair dryers.
Some Questions You May Want To Be Answered
1. What is the cause for my dull dry hair?
The main cause is that your hair is not able to retain its moisture. It could be because your scalp does not produce enough oil, or we rob it by using harsh chemical filled shampoos, using a hairdryer, ironing etc. Well, we have given loads tips on How to Moisturize Hair and hope you taken full advantage of it!
2. Do what I eat matter for my hair?
Food for hair is as important as food for body and skin. There are various superfoods which not only improve your hair growth but also add to your overall health. Some foods you MUST include forHealth Hair.
- Carrots and Apples with their skin
- Curry leaves.
- Gooseberry in any form. (Raw/Boiled/Powdered/Juiced)
- Sweet potatoes
..are some of the ‘MUST HAVES’ for getting those lovely locks you long for. Supplement these internally along with the Natural hair moisturizers and you will be absolutely in love with your hair.
3. How to slow down greying?
Let me tell you some tips hold off those silver strands…
- Wet a lemon half and rub lemon juice into the scalp well. Wash off after it turns dry.
- Grind one tablespoon each, pulp of gooseberry and lime juice. Massage this into the hair before going to bed. Wash it next morning.
- Soak shredded ginger in honey. Eat a spoonful every morning.
AND keep the stress levels down. It helps a lot.
4. Why can’t I use hot water to rinse my hair or a Hairdryer for that matter?
Both have the same effects. Excess heat to the scalp takes away its moisture leaving it dry. It also keeps the pores open and hence inviting dirt resulting in dandruff and other scalp infections.
Hope you enjoy preparing the homemade natural hair moisturizer options given here along with useful tips on How to moisturize hair. The days are not far when you can see the results for yourselves and for the compliments to start coming your way! Please share your views and experience with us!