Table of Contents Hide
- Home Remedies for Bed Sores
- Useful Tips To Heal Bed Sores
- Join Our Email List to Get Organic Tips via Email!
- Congratulations! You will start receiving amazing and useful organic tips via email.
Bed sores or blisters are a common condition for people who are bed ridden due to some disease or accident. It is commonly seen in people who have no movement and have to rest on the bed for a long time. This symptom is seen in coma patients, people suffering from prolonged illness and are bed ridden, people on wheel chair etc. Home remedies for bed sores can be the effective treatments and provide relief.
In the initial stages, bed sores are not a matter of concern as it is a common observation. It is however necessary to pay attention to the symptom and cure the same at the earliest. Prolonged bed sores may result in infection of the skin which can be extremely dangerous.
Bed sores are caused when the blood circulation is inadequate and blood does not reach some part of the body. The most affected areas include back, buttocks, hips, legs and joints.
The common symptoms of bed sores include itchiness, redness, swelling, accumulation of pus in the affected area and even blisters in the later stage.
Home Remedies for Bed Sores
1. Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate
Yes, you heard it right! The main reason behind bed sores is improper blood circulation. Drinking plenty of water and other fluids like lemon juice, coconut water, fruit juices, soups etc can help in hydration and prevent bed sores from occurring.
These days with the modern facilities, even hospitals provide water beds for the patients to prevent bed sores. Hence the simplest and easy method is to drink plenty of water.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a miraculous plant. It has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, soothing and healing properties. Simply apply fresh Aloe Vera gel on the bed sores. It will not only cure bed sores but will prevent its occurrence. Aloe Vera’s natural cooling properties prevent itching and burning sensation.
Moreover, the wonder plant reduces swelling and softens the sores. It keeps the affected area smooth and soft. This method is one of the effective home remedies for bed sores to get relief.
Turmeric is very effective to heal bed sores. First and foremost, due to its anti-microbial properties, it prevents any form of infection which can be caused from the sores.
Secondly, it heals the sores rapidly and the wound is cured within few days. It absorbs the pain and provides relief instantly.
Turmeric can be used in 2 ways –
- Sprinkle turmeric powder on the affected areas.
- It absorbs the pus and liquid which comes out of the sores and keeps the area dry. This in turn helps to fasten the healing process.
- Add sufficient water to turmeric powder and form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the bed sores.
- Allow it to dry for some time.
- Take a clean cloth soaked in lukewarm water and wipe off the turmeric paste gently.
- Pat dry using a clean cloth or towel.
Both the methods are equally helpful in getting rid of bed sores.
Let’s see the turmeric benefits for skin in detail!
Beetroot has been found to be very effective for bed sores. It prevents itchiness and soothes the sores. Beetroot when mixed with honey has increased effectiveness on bed sores.
- Grate a beetroot and extract the fresh juice from it.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the fresh beetroot juice and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this liquid and slowly apply the mix on the sores.
- Leave it for some time and wipe off using a clean cloth.
- Frequently repeat this process for relief.
It is very soothing for the areas affected by sores. Also, honey keeps the area moisturised and prevents itchiness and redness.
5. Petroleum Jelly
This is one of the best and age old method known to heal bed sores. There are many advantages of using petroleum jelly.
- It keeps the area moist.
- It soothes the affected areas.
- It helps to heal the bed sores quickly.
- It prevents infection from spreading.
Coat the bed sores with sufficient quantity of petroleum jelly and spread it evenly. Cover it using a sterile bandage.
Repeat this method several times in a day and see the difference. It is better to apply petroleum jelly in the areas which are under more pressure.
Massage can improve blood circulation and in turn prevent bed sores from occurring. In case the patient is bed ridden, it is ideal to give him/her a massage daily to prevent the occurrence of bed sores.
As a caution, never massage directly on the bed sores as it may lead to increase in infection. Massage the body except the sores. This will help to boost the circulation and in turn heal the sores rapidly.
7. Baby Powder
Baby powder heals the sores faster. Baby powder makes the area dry and in turn prevents infection from spreading. It is important to keep the sores dry as it heals faster.
Clean the affected areas with a disinfectant and then sprinkle baby powder to completely cover the wound. This will absorb the moisture present in the sores and help in speedier recovery.
8. Sugar and Honey
It is considered to be an excellent home remedies for bed sores.
- Take sugar granules and grind them in a mixer.
- Mix the sugar powder in a tablespoon of honey.
- Apply this mix over the sores and cover it using a sterile bandage.
This combination helps to heal the bed sores faster and also soothes the wound.
9. Saline Water
Saline water can be easily prepared at home and is one of the effective home remedies for bed sores to keep the affected surface clean.
- Boil water in a container and add 2-3 spoonful of salt to it.
- Let the mix cool for some time and once it is slightly warm, dip a clean cloth in the liquid.
- Squeeze the excess liquid and pat on the surface.
- This serves as an excellent disinfectant and keeps the area clean.
Useful Tips To Heal Bed Sores
- Do not consume coffee, alcohol or tobacco as it may aggravate the condition.
- Do not smoke while suffering from bed sores as it will worsen the situation.
- Maintain hygiene and keep the affected surfaces clean.
- Always cover the wound as it may otherwise lead to spreading of infection to other areas of the body.
- Immediately attend bed sores as in later stages, it may be filled with pus and emit foul smell.
Bed sores are not a disease; they are the after effects of disease mostly caused due to lack of movement. These patients require immediate attention. In the initial stages, these home remedies for bed sores can do wonders. However, if neglected for a longer duration, it is better to seek medical advice.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please feel free to share the same in the comments section below.