Do you wish to add more taste to your bland meals? Or, would you like to enhance the taste of your meals? Pickles are the perfect accompaniments for any meal. With their tangy and spicy flavour, they enhance the taste of all dishes. In fact, when you have some nice pickles around, you would gulp down more quantity of food, even without realizing it. So, to make boring dishes interesting, pickles are the best side dishes. And, there are so many varieties of easy pickle recipe that one can easily make at home. From the ubiquitous mango pickles, lime pickles, green chilli pickles, onion pickles, garlic pickles, to fruits and vegetable pickles, you can pickle almost anything and everything. And, the older the pickle, the tastier it is, just like old wine.
Main Features Of Making Pickles
Even though, there are lots of ready-made pickles available in the market, not all of them are healthy. Especially when you compare the market versions with the original home-made pickles, you will yourself find the difference. Given below are some of the main ingredients that go into the pickles.
- Oil and salt are the most important ingredients. Salt adds the flavour to the pickles, and draws the moisture, and also stops the growth of bacteria in it. While, oil is the barrier, which prevents the ingredients from getting dry. Oil keeps the pickle moist. While, people in north India use mustard oil for preparing pickles, the people in south India use more of sesame oil.
- Varieties of spices go into making the pickles. All the spices that go into the pickle ensure that the pickle taste awesome and outstanding. Also, these spices give the extra tinge to them.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits, for making crunchy pickles. Depending upon the freshness of these veggies and fruits, the pickles become quite tasty.
Let us discuss some salsa recipes which can be easily prepared at home.
Process Of Making Pickles
Making pickles is a time-consuming process, and takes in a lot of time, but it is also quite simple and easy pickle recipe. You need to dry all the ingredients in the sun first, and keep them soaked in spices and oil. Also, you will have to let the pickles remain in the sun for some time, so that the flavours are developed, and enhanced. The key to making pickles is having a lot of patience. As, the longer time you wait for the pickles to get done, the better tasting pickles you will get.
Given are some tips that you will need to follow, before you jump into the process of preparing pickles.
- Use only sterilised jar for storing the pickles, as they will keep the pickles fresh for a longer time.
- Use fresh and seasonal fruits and vegetables only. The freshness of the vegetables will lend the crunchy taste to the pickles.
- Don’t be miserly with salt. You will need to add lots of salt to it, as it will help in drawing out the water from the vegetables, and help in preserving the pickles for a longer duration.
- Use flavoured vinegar, which will give a fantastic tanginess and taste to the pickle recipes.
- Before closing the lid of the pickle jar, remember to wipe away the jar’s rim.
All these tips will ensure that your pickles are preserved for a longer duration. Let’s move towards the easy pickle recipe.
Easy Pickle Recipe That You Should Try Out
Even if you have never pickled before, the easy pickle recipe explained below, will give you a very easy method by which you can get into the process. From cucumbers to drumsticks, from strawberries to watermelon rind, you can pickle anything and everything. You only require your imagination, and your taste buds for giving you company. And, all the vegetables and fruits are available easily.
Have you wondered how to make homemade pancakes? Try out these delicious pancake recipes…
1. Recipe Of Lemon Pickle
Lime pickles are all-time favorites, and can be had with almost any dish. With its natural sour taste, along with aromatic spices, this pickle will become the highlight of your meal. It can even make your bland dishes tasty.
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Resting Time: 30 days
- Sour Limes (washed and dried, and cut into smaller pieces) – 1 Kg
- Salt – 1 and quarter cup
- Whole Red Peppers – 1 Cup
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar (Depends upon taste and choice) – ¼ cup
- Ginger (Optional) – sliced
Process Of Making Lemon Pickles-
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl, and mix them all together.
- Transfer them all into a jar.
- Keep the pickle under the sun for 30 days.
- After 30 days, you will find that your lemons have turned tender and the pickle will be just right.
- You can start using the pickle after they have turned tender, and eat them whenever you feel like.