Some myths regarding silver cleaning broken
- Having silver jewelry is considered to be a status symbol as it is economical however, it comes with zero modishness and compromise.
- Among other metals, silver has proved to be enduring, promising and compatible as it stays with you forever.
- Compared to other metals, silver comes with a huge collection of types and designs of jewelry as the artist finds it easy to cast designs on silver more easily.
- You might need to look for the latest trends in jewelry with other metals, but with silver, you don’t need to worry as any design in silver would always remain in trend.
- Silver jewelry is also helpful for balancing various other elements in the body. It also holds a vital role in the formation of the bones, formation of the skin and its repair as well as a healing process.
- Silver is a natural stimulator of energy as it helps in boosting concentration as well as eliminating lethargic tendencies. It can prove to be a healthy replacement for the energy drinks.
- Silver, when gets absorbed by the skin, helps in getting relief from pain like joint pain, inflammation, arthritis, etc.
- Silver is light in weight and hence, can be carried for long hours compared to gold jewelry.
- Silver jewelry enhances and compliments nearly all kind of clothes, precious stones, or even skin tone.
Silver Jewelry – Who doesn’t love it!
Are you also among the silver lovers? Compared to gold, silver is among the widely loved metal when it comes to jewelry. This congruous, auspicious and accustom metal is quite trendier which adds to its popularity. Again, the variety of designs and types it comes with would surely boost you to increase your collection. However, the sad part is that it is widely found tangled in the boxes, baskets, drawers or cupboards in the tarnished state. No matter whether they are earrings, necklaces, anklets, or any other jewelry, they are sure to rust with an old look after particular time which is natural when it comes into contact with the air. And this is the reason which makes “how to clean silver” one of the most searched issues on the internet.
There are various myths and failed experiments out there regarding cleaning the tarnished silver. But not all are safe to adopt. Cleaning silver properly needs much of time and muscle. Again, the process of cleaning silver or polishing also makes the jewelry lose a minor portion of silver which is normal in some cases.
So, today let’s learn how to clean silver jewelry in an effective way to debunk all the risky tricks of cleaning.
How to clean silver?
You might have asked anyone for some advice on how to clean silver? What are the answers? Chlorine, toothpaste, boiling water… These are some of the common answers. But do they actually work in cleaning silver? Not really. No doubt, toothpaste is effective to some extent, it still has to eliminate some of the ingredients to clean silver without any damage.
Here are some of the best ways of cleaning silver jewelry without causing any damage to the jewelry or losing its actual weight.
Aluminum foil with baking soda
When it comes to how to clean tarnished silver, aluminium foil and baking soda are counted among the best ideas. Here is how you can practice these ingredients for cleaning silver.
- Take water around 1 liter. Add 1 tbsp baking soda and a bit of aluminium foil to the water and allow it to boil.
- When the water boils, add the silver jewelry to the water.
- Allow the silver to rest inside for around 10 seconds. Remove the jewelry using kitchen tongs. If required, place it back inside. If clear, remove it.
For further polishing, the silver jewelry, take around ¼ cup of baking soda and make a thick paste of it using around 2 tbsp of water. Using a sponge, damp the paste on the jewelry. Rinse it well and allow it to dry.
Ketchup! Thinking if this is the right answer to how to clean silver jewelry? This is true. Ketchup comes with certain elements that help in removing the tarnish or lid from the silver jewelry. Here are the simple and quick steps to follow.
- Take some ketchup and some paper towel.
- Using the paper towel, apply some ketchup on the silver jewelry and rub it gently.
- Cover all the tarnished areas properly.
- Rinse using water and allow it to dry.
If the silver jewelry is too tarnished, you can also leave the ketchup on silver for around 15 minutes and clean it then after. You can also use a brush instead of a paper towel for rubbing the jewelry and later rinse it with a paper towel.
Surprisingly, when it comes to how to clean silver, hand sanitizers are also useful. The sanitizers contain properties that not only eliminate the germs from your hands but also eliminate tarnish from the silver jewelry. Here is how you can use the hand sanitizer.
- Take soft cotton or other cloth. Take some drops of sanitizer on the cloth.
- Using the cloth, rub the silver jewelry gently.
- If required, you can also add some more drops of sanitizer on the cloth. This would surely remove the tarnish from the silver. Again, it is not necessary to rinse the tarnish with water after cleaning.
Yet another answer to how to clean sterling silver is window cleaner. The liquid or solution in the window cleaner not only cleans your windows properly but also removes the tarnish from the silver jewelry. Here is how to use window cleaner.
- Take the window cleaner and your sterling jewelry.
- Spray the solution on a toothbrush or a piece of rag.
- Using the solution on the brush or rag scrub the sterling jewelry.
- Rinse using water and let it dry naturally.
This method not only removes the tarnish from the silver jewelry but also restores the original shine of the jewelry for a new look.
Salt and lemon juice
If you are looking for a homely remedy for how to clean silver jewlery, salt and lemon juice are the strong ingredients that work well on the tarnished jewelry. Here is how you can use both.
- Take a bowl and add 1 tbsp lemon juice, ½ cup dry milk (instant) and 1 ½ cup of water to the bowl.
- Place the silver jewelry to the mixture and allow it to soak overnight.
- Remove it in the morning and rinse with water.
Again, this solution would help in cleaning the tarnish from the silver jewelry and would also make your jewelry shiny as before.
If you are having vinegar in your kitchen, you are also having the right answer to how to clean silver too in the kitchen. Vinegar is useful in various cleaning hacks and silver is among them. Here is how you can clean silver jewelry with vinegar.
- Take around 2 tbsp of baking soda and a ½ cup of vinegar in a bowl and mix well.
- Place the jewelry in the bowl for around 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the jewelry and rinse with cold water. Allow it to dry thoroughly.
This not only cleans the silver but also helps in getting back the shine and lustre it originally had. If required, you can also place the jewelry from some more time for effective cleaning.
Apart from all these, some other versatile tools for cleaning sterling silver include Ammonia, chalks, hair conditioners, lemon-lime soda, cornstarch, laundry detergent, alcohol like beer and vodka, etc. All these ingredients are not only effective in cleaning the silver jewelry but other silver accessories too. Again, not all the ingredients would come with desired results, but cleaning the silver with these hacks would surely protect you from losing the silver or any other possible damage too.
So, are you ready to clean your silver jewelry or other silver accessories?