Some quick benefits of Copper vessels
- The copper vessels contain anti-microbial properties which come with abundant health benefits.
- According to Ayurveda, having water from copper vessels would help in reducing the signs of aging by promoting the growth of collagen protein which connects with the tissues.
- Copper kills various bacteria, viruses and various other micro-organisms from the water.
- Drinking water stored in copper vessels is also helpful in dealing with anemia.
- Copper boosts the melanin levels in the body which is helpful in the treatment of vitiligo.
- Particular copper levels in the body are also essential for keeping the digestive system working healthily.
- Drinking water stored in copper vessels helps in the treatment of various gastrointestinal issues.
Copper – An Introduction
Copper is today counted among the accessories that add to the exquisiteness of the homes. Copper pans, vessels, jewelry pots, sinks, and other accessories are widely used for decorating the house. No doubt, they add a charismatic touch to the décor, but the only thing that irritates people owning one is – ‘how to clean copper?‘.
Yes, similar to other metals, copper to smears after a particular time and usage when it comes into contact with oxygen. The captivating shine it provides with becomes dull and black or dark spots are observed developing on copper items. This is quite a natural process for which chemical-based products are selected. The market is filled with commercial cleaners for copper items that come with harmful chemicals that can be harsh to the metal as well as your hands.
So, what is the easy way out to clean the copper items? If you are also in search of the answer, here are some of the quick and effective natural ways of cleaning copper accessories without using any chemical.
How to clean copper naturally?
When it comes to cleaning copper accessories and vessels, for quick cleaning the chemical-based products are highly trusted. But with these natural cleaners, you can obtain both effective cleaning and safety.
1. Salt and Vinegar
When it comes to how to clean copper mugs, salt and vinegar are the common ingredients found in the kitchen. They are among the most reliable ingredients when it comes to copper cleaning. Here is how you can use them.
- Take around 1 tbsp of salt (table salt) and a cup of vinegar in a bowl. Mix the ingredients to a solution.
- Using a soft cloth, rub the mixture on the copper vessel properly covering every part.
- Rinse the vessel under running water.
Apart from this, you can also dip the copper item in a vessel containing around 3 cups of boiled water to which the solution of vinegar and salt is added. Boil the water till the tarnish disappears. Once the copper vessel cools down, wash it with regular water and soap. Dry it using a soft piece of cloth.
2. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice
Another widely suggested mixture for how to clean copper pots is baking soda along with lemon juice. Both the natural ingredients contain acid properties that help in removing the oxidized staining. Here is how you can use the combination.
- Combine both baking soda and lemon juice to make a fine paste-like texture.
- Using a soft cloth, apply the mixture on the copper item and gently scrub it.
- Rinse the vessel with running water and allow it to dry.
In case you are not having lemon juice, you can also use fresh lemons or rubbing the baking soda alone would also bring you desired results.
3. Tomato Ketchup
This might sound weird, but it is an effective answer to how to clean copper pans and other accessories. Ketchup is one of the forms of natural acids which help in eliminating the stains from copper to give it a brand-new appearance. Here is how you can carry out this unbelievable task.
- Take some tomato ketchup and spread it on the copper item.
- Leave it applies to the vessel or product for some minutes for the acid to work on copper.
- Using a nylon pad or soft sponge, scrub the vessel properly.
- Rinse with running water.
After cleaning the copper item with the ketchup, make sure you polish it too using a cloth soaked or dipped in olive oil for improved results.
4. Flour and Vinegar
No doubt, for how to clean copper, the solution of vinegar and salt is widely used. But at times, replacing the salt with flour has also come up with effective results on the stains on copper. Let’s check out how you can use the ingredients.
- Take a bowl and add 1 tbsp of salt to it. Now add 1 cup of vinegar and some flour to it for making a proper paste.
- Apply the paste eventually on the copper item. Allow the paste to work for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the copper item using warm water.
The paste can also be used only on the affected areas having dark spots for removing them.
5. Worcestershire Sauce
Yes, if you are in search of an effective answer to how to clean copper jewelry, Worcestershire sauce is the right ingredient you need to look for. This is what you need to do with the Worcestershire Sauce.
- Take some Worcestershire Sauce and apply it evenly on the ornament.
- Rub the sauce on the ornament using your hands, soft toothbrush or a soft cloth.
- Rinse the ornament properly with running water and dry.
Make sure you use soft cloth for cleaning the copper jewelry as this would abolish the chances of any scratches giving a smooth and fine texture. Again, after cleaning the copper jewelry, it is essential to use a jewelry polishing cloth to finely polish the jewelry that is made specifically for the copper.
6. Dish soap and warm water
No doubt, all the above ingredients are quite effective on copper, but when you are looking for how to clean a copper sink, you need something else. For cleaning the sinks, the soaps are the best to go with. Here is the process of sink cleaning.
- Take some mild soap and warm water. Mix both the ingredients.
- Use a sprinkler and sprinkle the mixture in the sink.
- Using a soft sponge or cloth, wipe out the mixture from the sink.
- Allow it to dry naturally.
For the sinks, merely cleaning with a solution is not enough. After cleaning it, coating the sink is also important to protect it from any water stains. Look for copper armor that is specially used for reducing the spots of mineral deposits and hard water on the sinks.
Hence, these were some of the effective ways of cleaning copper. As all the products or ingredients are natural, they come with no harmful side effects on the copper item as well as your hands while cleaning. Also, make a note that cleaning the copper item is not a one-stop solution. When the product is cleaned properly, it is important to maintain it well. Using a coating of mineral oil would help in keeping it cleaner for a long time.
So, which method are you going to use for cleaning copper items at your place? Comment us with your experiences.