Imagine that you are getting up in the morning and washing your face with rice water. No. It is not rose water. We are talking about rice water. This really sounds amusing to you how you can wash face with rice water. Here, you can see the rice benefits for skin and hair.
In few countries such as Japan, people have used rice for making their skin soft and supple. Rice has excellent properties for cleansing, exfoliation, and conditioning the skin. It also adds a protective layer on the skin for safeguarding it against environmental damage.
Rice is one of our daily food items. We cook rice in several ways. Apart from its use in cooking, rice can also be used in beauty care regime on a regular basis to reap the rice benefits for skin and hair. Consumption of rice also improves skin texture and complexion as it is packed with essential nutrients.
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Vitamins, including B6, E and K
Apart from these contents, rice is comprised of an ingredient named pitera. This ingredient plays a significant role in revitalising old and tired looking skin and for giving a glow to the face.
When we talk about rice, we also mean brown rice. Nowadays, health experts and dieticians suggest people use brown rice in cooking and cut off white rice. Brown rice is rich in fibre content.
Rice Benefits for Skin and Hair and Health Care
Rice for Health
Before we move ahead with the rice benefits for skin and hair, let us first go through its importance for health purpose.
Rice fuels the body with large quantities of energy. Rice, particularly brown rice, is essential for regulating the levels of cholesterol in the body. People suffering from fluctuating blood pressure levels also need to consume rice on a minimal basis. Rice helps in preventing cancerous diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. Rice reduces the impact of free radicals and throws away unnecessary toxins from the body as waste. Regular consumption of brown rice maintains the health of cardiovascular organs. It also reduces chronic constipation tendencies. Hence, people who often feel constipated need to consume rice on a regular basis.
Diabetic patients are often advised not to consume white rice. But then eat brown rice as it has a low level of glycaemic index. Brown rice is extremely beneficial for one’s health. People should eat a small bowl of brown rice daily to fight against several diseases and ailments.
The advantage of cooking rice is that we can add green-coloured or other vegetables into it for enhancing its taste and increasing the nutrition. Brown rice can also be eaten during breakfasts in the form of porridge, cutlets or cereal.
Now, let’s move to see the rice benefits for skin and hair.
Rice for Skin Care
Now, let us come to the benefits of rice with respect to skin care.
1. For Exfoliation
- Rice scrubs are best for exfoliation purpose as they remove impurities, dead skin cells, blackheads and whiteheads from the skin’s surface.
- Take a small bowl of rice grains and powder it. Add water for certain level of consistency. Rub this mixture on the body and face mildly. It will remove all the dead skin cells accumulated on the skin.
- If you have a problem of too many blackheads, then you can prepare a scrub of brown rice in a similar manner. Take a small bowl of brown rice and powder it by adding rose water to it. Use this as a scrub for removing blackheads within a few seconds.
- Soak rice in water for half an hour. Powder it into a paste and add mashed tomato into it. Use this as a scrub for your face to remove blackheads and whiteheads in few applications of the same.
- Powder rice as well as ground sugar and add little curd or honey into it. This is an excellent scrub for your skin.
2. For Skin Revival
Rice water is an excellent solution for revitalising skin. It tightens the pores and avoids skin eruptions in the future. Due to the antioxidants contained in rice water, it improves blood circulation and gives a youthful look to the face. It also brightens and lightens the skin tone.
2. For Inflamed, Irritated Skin
Rice is comprised of anti-inflammatory properties. It soothes and cools down inflamed, irritated or red skin. Thus, it is a natural ointment for burns and for healing wounds and injuries.
3. For Younger Looking Skin
Rice provides sufficient nourishment to the skin. It fades away signs of ageing such as wrinkles and fine lines. It also provides a protective layer for the skin against sun and environmental damage. Thus, your skin becomes young, beautiful and clear.
Best natural anti aging tips to stay younger for a longer time.
4. As a Cleanser and Toner
Wash a bowl of rice properly to remove extra particles out of it. Add water and keep it in a closed vessel for 15 minutes. This mixture is known as cleanser-cum-toner. You may dip a cotton ball into this mixture and dab it across your face.
Applications of Rice in Beauty Care Regime
Rice Face Masks
These face masks assist in skin rejuvenation, hydration and improving elasticity. It also closes the open pores on the face.
- Add powdered rice in a spoon of honey. Apply it by first mild scrubbing and leave it for 10 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. It works as an exfoliator also.
- Take one cup of boiled rice and remove the extra water in it. Make a paste of this boiled rice and add a spoon of honey or rose water into it. Apply this pack on the face and wash it after it dries.
- Purchase the facial masks available in the cosmetic stores. Take a bowl of rice and soak it in water for two hours. Strain the mixture and retain the rice water. Dip the facial mask in this water and cover your face with it for nearly 15-20 minutes. You need to relax and be comfortable when you do this. This mask will work as a facial treatment for your skin, regenerating new skin cells and revitalising it. Wash your face with normal water and apply toner on it.
- Extract juice of raw potato by grating it. Add rice flour and make a paste. Apply this mixture on the skin and wash off when it dries. The potato also works against uneven skin tone and blemishes.
Rice for Hair Care
Rice is not only vital for skin care. But if you want your hair to be healthy, smooth and shiny, then start using rice water from today and skip the artificial conditioners.
1. As a Conditioner
Rice water is the best conditioner for your dry and frizzy hair. Rinse your hair with rice water after shampooing. You may even leave it for 10 minutes and then wash it off. It will make your hair bouncy and shiny.
2. Strengthens Hair
Rice water is good for strengthening hair roots and making it firm. It prevents hair breakage and damage caused due to environmental factors or other reasons.
Thus, though people cut off white rice from their diet, they can definitely make its use in beauty care regime. We need to get ourselves acquainted with its immense rice benefits for skin and hair and applications. It is easily available at our home and requires 10-15 minutes out of our busy schedule. So, next time, when you cook rice, do not forget to use it as a cleanser or scrub or a mask for getting a beautiful and radiant skin.