Damaged Hair? No Problem. We’ve Got You!
Amazing DIY Hair Masks For Damaged Hair!
No matter if your hair is long or short; curly or wavy; everyone longs for a healthy shiny hair. Yet the products designed for the very same is sometimes the enemy. The heat we apply to our hair, even with heat protectant it hurts our hair. Not only that lets not think about the hair coloring. They strip the hair of the necessary moisture making it dull and lifeless. Hence they are prone to breakage. To repair the damage, we need not go far away from our kitchen and pantry. Here we can see some hair mask for damaged hair.
Do’s and Don’ts
Before going ahead to repair damaged hair there’s certain do’s and don’ts for damaged hair.
- Do not use heat regularly and use a heat protectant.
- Do not blow dry. Air dry as much as you can
- Do not towel rub. Hair breaks easily when its wet and towel drying can cause the hair to break.
- Replace your pillowcase with a silk one. Silk pillowcases reduce hair tangling and thereby reducing hair breakage.
- Find out which hair brush suits your hair depending on its length and nature.
- Avoid backcombing while styling your hair.
- Apply oil to your hair and leave it overnight if you can.
- Deep condition your hair once a week.
Homemade Hair Mask For Damaged Hair
Nature has given us some amazing home remedies we can always use to our benefit rather than going back to chemicals. Going natural means you get it done at a fraction of the money. Also, you do not need to worry about the side effects or hair fall.
The ingredients for home remedies for damaged hair can be obtained easily. It might be something that you already have in your kitchen.
Increase or decrease the quantity of ingredient depending on your length and thickness.
Tips For Applying Hair Mask
- Masks should not be lumpy.
- Always section your hair and apply masks.
- It’s a natural remedy so give it time.
1. Coconut Oil And Olive Oil Hair Mask
This homemade hair mask comes directly from the kitchen. So whenever you want a mask in a flash, just go pick this one up.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Olive oi
- Mix both the oils thoroughly.
- Apply them to the length of your hair from root to tip.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and apply heat with your hair dryer.
- Or wrap your hair in a hot towel.
- Leave it on for an hour or two before washing and conditioning your hair.
- If your hair is very dry and damaged, apply this to your scalp as well and leave it overnight.
- Don’t forget to work it well into your scalp to encourage blood flow as well.
- Repeat this at least twice a week and more depending on how damaged your hair is.
Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids like lauric acid which is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft and nourish from within. It also removes buildup from the scalp. Olive oil has high vitamin E which you know provides necessary moisture.
2. Mayonnaise Hair Mask to Treat Damaged Hair
Can a DIY hair mask for damaged hair get easier than this? All this mask needs is just mayo.
- Apply mayonnaise to the lengths of your hair, not your scalp.
- Make sure your hair completely covered.
- Put your shower cap on and leave it on for 30 min.
- Wash and condition as usual.
- Try it twice a week depending on how damaged your hair is.
Mayonnaise is rich in amino-acids importantly L-cysteine which promotes hair growth. It smoothes hair cuticles and seals the moisture in for shiny looking hair. The Vinegar in mayo removes the product build-up.
3. Olive Oil And Egg Mask
Scrambled eggs!!! No, it’s another hair mask for dry damaged hair, which comes straight from the kitchen.
- 2 Eggs
- 5 Tbsp Olive oil
- Beat 2 eggs in a bowl until its frothy.
- Mix in the olive oil slowly till its mixed in well.
- Apply it to the lengths of your hair and avoid your scalp.
- If you are like me, who likes oil applied on the scalp, then you can apply some coconut oil to your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a towel.
- Leave it on for 30 min and wash and condition your hair as usual.
- Once a week and your hair will be back to its shiny self once again.
Eggs are full of fatty acids and have vitamin A, D, and vitamin E, and proteins which help heal your hair from all the damage. Egg white has albumin which is antibacterial. Olive oil has vitamin E which locks in the moisture.
4. Avocado And Honey Homemade Hair Mask
How good will a hair mask for dry damaged hair be if it is made of all superfoods meant for hair? Awesome!!!
- ½ Avocado
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Peel and mash the avocados in a bowl.
- Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Add the honey and coconut milk and mix them well.
- Apply the mixture to the lengths of your hair.
- Wrap a hot towel around your hair.
- Or you can cover with a shower cap and give it a good blast with your hairdryer
- Allow the mix sit on your hair for around 30 min.
- Wash and condition as usual.
- Repeat this once every fortnight.
Avocado is rich in vitamins A, D, B and E. Vitamin B is required for hair growth while vitamin E repairs the damaged hair. Honey has a conditioning effect on your hair while its humectant property retains moisture. Thanks to the lauric acid present in coconut milk, it has a moisturizing effect on hair.
5. Banana And Yogurt Hair Mask for Damaged Hair
One of my personal favorite even though it’s one of the messier ones. The mess is so much worth after all the wonders it does. This might just be the way to shiny lustrous hair.
- 1 Banana
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup full-fat yogurt
- Mash the banana so that there are no chunks. If possible use a blender to blend it out.(Chunks is difficult to wash out. It sticks to the hair)
- Add the honey and yogurt
- Mix them well.
- Apply the mix to the hair from root to the tips.
- Cover it with a shower cap or a towel to prevent the mess from dripping.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash and condition it as usual.
- Repeat this every week for a shiny bouncy hair.
Banana is rich in vitamins, potassium, calcium, and magnesium which is necessary for the overall nourishment of your hair. It also strengthens hair follicles. The folic acid in banana makes your hair shine as well as keep your hair moisturized. Honey helps to retain moisture in your hair. It has emollient properties which soften your hair. It helps to improve the texture and the appearance of your hair. Protein is essential for hair growth as much as it is needed for your body. Yogurt is rich in protein and lactic acid which is needed to strengthen your hair. It also is a good conditioner and softens your hair.
6. Aloe Vera And Coconut Oil Mask
“Aloe vera is a medicinal plant” is such an understatement. It’s a miracle plant. From ingesting it to applying it to your hair and skin it can be used any way you want. Two of the ingredients rich in nutrients for hair is mixed, for a super homemade hair mask here. Aloe vera gel is available in the market in various brands. But the natural form scraped from the leaves is the best as it is free from preservatives.
- 4 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 cup coconut oil
- Cut a leaf in half and scrape the gel in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients well. (It’s going to be such a pain)
- Apply this mask from the scalp to the tip concentrating on the tips which are the dry part.
- Work it into your scalp in circular motions.
- Leave this mask on for at least 1 hour.
- Wash and condition your hair.
- Use this as often as you need.
- In small quantities, you can use it as a stopgap conditioner.
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids like lauric acid which can actually penetrate your hair and work on it from within the hair shaft. The protein present in coconut oil work on the damaged hair replacing the protein preventing breakage. Aloe vera has proteolytic enzymes which cleanse the dead skin cells from the scalp, in turn, reviving the hair follicles. Aloe vera has a similar chemical makeup as to that of keratin. Keratin is the protein which forms the protective layer around the hair shaft. Aloe vera gel rejuvenates the hair preventing breakage.
7. Avocado And Egg Yolk Hair Mask
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 egg yolk
- Peel and mash one avocado in a small bowl.
- Make sure you don’t have any chunks. Mash some more.
- Add 1 egg yolk and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your wet hair.
- Don’t apply to your scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 min
- Wash and condition your hair
- Apply this once a month.
Egg yolk is packed with vitamin A and D, folate, and biotin which are essential for a healthy hair. Avocado, the superfood is also an amazing moisturizer. Its loaded with vitamin A, D, B and E. Vitamin E also helps fight scalp damage, since scalp damage can lead to dry, damaged, weak hair. Vitamin A promotes the sebum production which is necessary for a healthy scalp. Avocado also promotes hair growth. Vitamin B guards your hair against breakage.
8. Avocado And Banana Mask For Healthy Hair
We can’t get enough of avocado right. Another hair mask for dry damaged hair and again with avocado.The two amazing fruits rich in nutrients. It’s sweet smelling too. Maybe you could skip your shampoo too.
- ½ Avocado
- 2 ripe bananas
- Blend both the fruits very well without any chunks. (Chunks always stick to the hair.)
- Apply the mask to damp hair.
- Apply evenly from the scalp to the tip of the hair.
- Concentrate at the tip since they are always the most damaged.
- Cover with a hot towel to open up your hair follicles.
- Let it sit for 30 min and rinse it out.
- Skip your shampoo and conditioner and enjoy the silky smooth feel of your hair.
Bananas are rich in antioxidants, potassium, magnesium which work wonders for dry, damaged hair. They promote hair elasticity and prevents hair breakage. Avocado, on the other hand, is rich in vitamins and natural oils. It revitalizes your hair and promotes hair growth. It regulates the production of sebum which is a sign of healthy scalp.
9. ACV And Avocado Hair Mask for Damaged Hair
There cannot be a better mask for damaged hair other than one that contains ACV i.e, Apple Cider Vinegar. And yeah! Avocado too.
- 1 Avocado
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother of the vinegar)
- Puree 1 pitted avocado. It should be free of lumps.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
- Apply it to the lengths of your hair.
- Leave it on for 30 min.
- Do your thing. Wash, Condition etc
- Repeat once a week until you are ready to flaunt your hair
Apple Cider Vinegar has Vitamins B, C, Potassium and alpha-hydroxy acid. ACV is slightly acidic with a ph value of 3. When properly mixed, it restores the Ph balance of your hair which is affected by the numerous chemicals we use on our hair. The alpha-hydroxy acid removes the product buildup from the scalp and promotes healthy hair follicles. Coconut oil has lauric acid which has the capability to reach the hair shaft and work from within. Avocado is rich in vitamins, amino acids and natural oils which rejuvenates the scalp and promotes hair growth.
10. Essential Oils Hair Mask
Essential oils and their benefits are all the rage now. Essential oils can be used for promoting health to clearing your skin and now to repair your damaged hair. Now for your essential oil DIY Hair mask for damaged hair.
- 2 tbsp Argan oil
- 5 drops rosemary oil
- 5 drops lavender oil
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- Mix all the oils in a bowl.
- Concentrate on applying the oil to the scalp first.
- Give it a good massage in circular motions to get the blood flowing.
- Apply the rest to the lengths of your hair and focussing on your ends.
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel to open up the hair follicles and let all that goodness in.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- Wash and condition your hair.
- Repeat this once a week.
Argan oil or otherwise called “liquid gold” is rich in nutrients like Vitamin E and fatty acids. Argan oil can reverse the damage done to the hair due to chemical products and heat.
Rosemary oil heals the hair follicles and encourages the growth of new strands of hair. Applying it regularly will end with a fuller, healthier hair.
Lavender oil, on the other hand, increases hair follicles and again you will end with thicker hair. It also reduces stress and also lessens hair loss. Tea tree oil clears up the root of your hair and accelerates hair growth. It is also good for people suffering from dandruff.
It’s said, A secret to a great body lies in the kitchen. I say not only a great body but great hair also lies in the kitchen. Next time; before you run to buy another product to heal your damaged hair, try these masks. For a fraction of the price, you get amazing hair without more damage to your purse and your hair.