Today I will share with you, my amazing weight loss story-how to lose weight at home. I would explain you in detail how I lost 14 kgs within 2 weeks.
If weight loss sounds overwhelming to you, then it is recommended to read below tips and techniques and follow them religiously. I adopted these techniques and experienced effective results. By mentioning home remedies, we are not emphasizing on the dull and boring diet plans, bland soups and salads, a strenuous and tiring exercise schedule and not eating your favourite foods. Weight loss can be made more interesting and tasty if we add a tint of enthusiasm and flavour to the daily regime. We need to understand how rich and nutritious foods impact our body in a healthy way.
Weight gain is a malady for majority of the people. The reasons of weight gain can be outlined as follows:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of nutritious diet
- Lack of proper exercise and fitness activity
- Excessive consumption of sugary and salty foods
- Not monitoring food intake
If you ask me the reasons for my weight gain, I would tick off all the above points. Every aspect equally contributed for my weight gain.
Having identified the causes of weight loss, we also need to understand the effects of excessive weight. Some are the dangerous effects of excessive weight gain.
- An invitation to diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure
- Difficulty in breathing while walking and climbing stairs
- Weakening of bones and related diseases such as arthritis and osteoporosis
- Difficulty in performing routine tasks
- Looking fat, bulky and overweight, loss of confidence
I always felt bad that I couldn’t wear those beautiful, short dresses. Though I could get tops and dresses of my size, I couldn’t wear them because I didn’t look amazing or confident in it. I would always be embarrassed due to the rebellious tummy visible in the dresses and flabby, unattractive arms popping out of the sleeveless dresses. I wanted to look beautiful, confident and attractive in those dresses.
Additionally, I had a problem of breathing when I walked for more than ten minutes. Though I didn’t have any medical issues, I was constantly warned of the dangerous health hazards in the coming future by doctors and relatives.
The First Step – Get Out Of The Comfort Zone
Initially, I did the same mistake of loving myself and looking shapeless and unattractive in nice, beautiful dresses. I knew that my loved ones did care for me and loved me genuinely thought I looked stout and plump. But when I thought about myself, I realized that I need to lose weight for myself and get out of this comfortable space.
The first step or the remedy for weight loss is to get out of comfort zone. We have built walls surrounding our habits, lifestyle, and regimes and thinking capabilities. First of all, you need to get out of the so-called standard thinking that we have to love ourselves despite our flaws. Yes, God had bestowed with a normal body shape, healthy limbs, dusky or fair skin, blue or black eyes, thick or thin hair, standard or attractive features. It is not in our hands to gain a beautiful and attractive body and beauty by birth. We cannot change our skin color from dark to fair and white. Gradually, we begin loving ourselves and accept our flaws. But do you accept your extra pounds and love your bulky and fat body?
“Loving yourself does not mean acceptance of your flaws. It also means overcoming your weaknesses and eliminating them from your life”
If you are accepting and loving those unnecessary pounds, then perform this simple exercise. Lift weights of 5kgs each in both of your hands and walk all over the house for the next ten minutes. You need not exercise using those weights. Or just carry heavy suitcases instead. Within a few minutes, you will experience heavy pain in your hands. Your whole body will get tired of carrying those weights. You will face difficulties while breathing and talking. Just imagine how your body must be feeling and experiencing when it carries unnecessary kilos on it.
This exercise will make you realize that weight loss is an inevitable need of the day for you. If you love yourself, then adopt the healthy lifestyle to reduce that rigid flab and become fabulous and beautiful. Weight loss is essential not only for looking beautiful and attractive but also to prevent hazardous diseases and ailments.
“Life begins at the end of the comfort zone.”
Same is with the weight loss.
Identify The Reasons Of Weight Gain
Before we move ahead towards the how to lose weight at home with home remedies, let us do certain background checks. We have to evaluate our habits, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc. before we align our weight loss regime. If you ask me, I was a big foodie of sweets and fried items and lazy to workout. Well, both the reasons were interconnected. Sugary feeds make you sloppy all the day. Hence, I had to cut out those first from my diet.
So, next step is to analyse yourself. Study your habits. Here are some of the questions you can answer in case you are not able to study your eating and working out patterns.
- Do you eat sugary foods such as pastries, sweets, cakes and chocolates?
- Do your workout or indulge in any fitness activity? If yes, how many times? If no, do you try going for a walk to hitting the gym floor?
- Do you eat a lot of baked foods, snacks, fried items like French fries, or processed foods?
- Do you go for hiking, treks or cycling?
- Do you monitor your diet intake, at least once in a week?
- Do you eat nutritious foods such as oats, whole grains, cereals, pulses, etc.? If yes, how many times in a week do you consume these foods?
- How do you travel to the office, school or college?
- Do you take afternoon naps?
- Do you sleep late at night and do not wake up early in the morning?
- Do you often go for parties, weddings and events? (where you have a delicious feast)
This questionnaire will definitely help in analyzing your habits and your current meal intake. However, you have be true to yourself and write down the items that you consume indignantly.
“Weight loss is like marriage. You can’t cheat on it and expect it to work.”
After you have gone through the above two steps, you can now start aligning steps for your weight loss regime. You have to be committed and faithful in your weight loss regime. Also, you need to be patient. Don’t expect miracles in the first week itself. It will take its own sweet time.
I adopted these home remedies for weight loss, more primarily known as lifestyle decisions. Don’t get allured with the bitter juices, weight loss pills, and attractive advertisements on TV and internet that promise you with effective weight loss within 14 days. It is always better to be natural. Life is short and you do not want to make it more boring and irritating by drinking bitter juices and consuming pills. Instead, modify your lifestyle and make it interesting and happening.
How To Lose Weight At Home?
Now, we have to offer our primary task of familiarizing with the “how to lose weight at home using home remedies.” Let us focus on what we should do and not on what we shouldn’t do.
“Focus on what you want and not on what you don’t want.”
This quote will enlighten you that how to lose weight at home, you should emphasize on what you can eat instead of feeling low over what you can’t eat. If you adopt this thinking approach, you will find a wide variety of food options in front of you. Do not get disheartened that you cannot eat your favourite foods.
What Not To Eat?
Let us first know which foods need to be eliminated from the diet regime. If you bid bye-bye to these foods, weight loss will be less challenging. Here are few tips on how to lose weight at home and how to resist the temptation of eating your favourite, but unhealthy foods.
- Focus on your favourite and healthy foods. In this way, you will have lot of options.
- Do not eat all the unhealthy foods before adopting a diet. For instance, “From tomorrow, I am on diet, so today I will eat all fried items and sweets that I like.” This will add extra load on your digestive system, ending up adding few more pounds.
- Do not quit all the foods at one time. This will be overwhelming and difficult for you. Go week-wise or day-wise. For instance, cut off sugar on first day. After two days, cut down fried items. After two days, cut off extra salt. You will feel relaxed while cutting down these items from your diet regime. Remember, Rome was not built in a day. This technique really helped me. When I was on a diet during my earlier weight loss initiatives, I used to feel completely low and sulky as I had to cut down all my favourite foods. But when I made the cut-off gradually, I felt that my target was achievable.
- Understand who these foods are harming your body. It is better to be wise than to blindly follow the ‘avoid-it’ rule.
Now, which foods should be struck from the diet plan?
- Excessive sugary foods such as sweets, pastries, cakes, chocolates.
- Excessive salty items
- Processed foods
- Canned foods
- Fried items like French fries, etc.
- Artificial juices, sweetened milks, alcohol
When I began with my weight loss plan, the next day it was my younger sister’s birthday. Oh! How could I say ‘no’ to that delicious and yummy piece of black forest chocolate cake! But I did very effectively. The results were huge.
What To Eat?
Here is the exhaustive list of foods for weight loss that I had incorporated in my diet regime and which you should eat. The easiest way is to stock your containers with these foods. Develop a taste for it instead of cribbing what you have to eat for weight loss. While cooking, add certain spices and make it delicious so that you will enjoy eating foods. Do not force yourself to eat these foods.
For instance, I had a terrible dislike for tomatoes. I developed allergies after eating them. Hence, I did not force myself to consume tomato and end up being irritated.
“You are what you eat.”
- Whole grains, such as brown rice.
- Legumes, beans, pulses, cereals.
- Dry fruits such as cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, avocados.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Green leafy vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Olive oil
- Milk and milk products
- Eggs, fish, poultry products
- Brown or multi-grain bread
In addition to the foods, drink plenty of water throughout the day. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water to keep you hydrated. Sip some water while exercising too.
Look For What You Eat
We have agenda books and personal organizers to note down our to-do tasks and the milestones that we have achieved. But have you tried keeping a diary to note down what you will eat the next day and what you have eaten throughout the day?
I always maintain a note in my mobile phone about the expenses that I have incurred in a day. At the end of the week, I realize how much I have been spending, sometimes for no valid reason.
I implemented the same technique during my weight loss plan. I used my mobile phone to record what I had eaten immediately after the consumption. It worked very well when I checked it at the end of the day. Slowly and gradually, I started eating when I was hungry and which was healthy.
- Measuring your food intake in terms of calories help you understand how much extra food you are eating.
- You can understand which foods you need to cut off from the diet.
- We have cravings at particular timings. It is true! I have cravings for crunchy snacks in the evening at around 6 pm. I started keeping a bowl of dry fruits on my desk. Similarly, I liked having a cake or a chocolate after dinner. I starting eating dates or a fruit instead.
- You can evaluate the timings at which you are hungry and what you feel like eating. Prepare your diet plan accordingly.
Hit The Gym
If you go for how to lose weight at home, you don’t have to lift weights on the first day itself. Go slow but steady. Here are few tips for proper exercising.
- Do not push yourself hard, but you have to come out of the comfort zone. Do not think ‘I can’t’ but remind yourself that ‘I can.’
- If there is a gym nearby and you need a qualified instructor, then you may go ahead. However, if you are not a gym person, then be comfortable in your home space.
- You need to take advantage of the different exercise regimes crafted by skilful instructors. For instance, cardio workouts, Pilates, dance workouts, zumba, power yoga, etc. Choose the one that suits you most appropriately.
- Purchase fitness DVDs online or by browsing at the sports stores. You may find your fitness trainer in a DVD. However, stick to it. Keep a fixed timing every day when you will meet your DVD trainer.
- Keep breathing while exercising. It is essential. Drink sips of water.
- You have to train every part of your body and not only on that belly fat. Your body should look proportionate and not flabby in the arms and flat at the stomach.
- Wear comfortable clothes while exercising.
- Get a fitness buddy who will encourage you to exercise every day.
Dance workouts worked better for me. I am huge fan of zumba and power yoga. But gradually, I didn’t limit it to these workouts and looked for a variation. I have made a compulsory ritual of working out 30-45 minutes a day and five times a week.
Here are simple lifestyle tips that can help in weight loss and enhancing quality of your life.
- Skip the elevator. Go for the staircase instead.
- Park your car at the end of the parking lot so that you can have a nice morning walk.
- If time permits, go for an early morning walk or a jog. It is best for health.
- If you like cycling, use it while going to office or college. Well, commuting on a cycle to the office sounds amusing but you can give a try for few days.
- Drink lots of green tea. Skip the coffee.
- While working, do not sit on the chair for prolonged period of time. Get up often. Do some bending exercises when you are free.
- Avoid going for late night parties and events. You will consume less number of calories.
- Go for hiking or treks on regular basis.
Now, I don’t use the elevators in my office and home. I use stairs. I go for a trek once in a month. When I sit in the office, I personally collect my printouts, fill my water bottle or talk to a colleague at his cubicle instead of phoning him. When there is an event or a party, I make a conscious effort to check what I am eating or drinking.
Thus, I have tried to offer you some of the essential home remedies for weight loss that helped me to shred extra pounds within 2 weeks. However, do not limit this awesome routine for only 15 days. Make it last forever till it becomes your lifestyle.
“Being fit is not a destination. It is a way of life. “
All the best for your weight loss!