Piles, medically termed as Hemorrhoids are one of the most common disease faced by majority of people across the globe. It is mostly seen in people with the average age of 45 to 65 years. Piles are caused due to an inflammation of veins in the rectum and the anus. It is very painful and needs immediate attention. In worst scenarios, blood comes out along with the stools and the pain is very severe. Hence we bring here home remedies for piles.
Causes of Piles
Piles are not just caused due to some infection or bacteria; there are lots of factors which contribute to piles. Some of the common reasons include:
- Long periods of standing or sitting
- Unhealthy diet
- Spicy food
- No physical activity
- History of piles in the family
- Heavy lifting and so on
Types of Piles
There are basically two types of Hemorrhoids. They are as follows:
- Internal – develops inside rectum
- External – develops just below the skin around anus
Both the internal and external hemorrhoids are not a good sign of healthy person as it leads to pain and irritation.
Common Symptoms Of Piles
- Blood clot around the anus
- Irritation near the anus
- Urge for bowel movements
- Pain while sitting down
- Swelling around the anus
Hemorrhoids should not be neglected and should be taken well care of. Initial process of this is not much painful but as it is left neglected for long it may lead to various other complications and in worst cases may result in death of the person.
The disease is well curable and is not a difficult process to undergo. One can also use the home remedies for piles in the initial stages.
Home Remedies For Piles
Ice is the first and foremost home remedy for this disease and is easily available in every household. Ice will be a blood vessel constrictor and reduces the swelling thus giving you instant relief from pain.
- Take some ice cubes and wrap it in a polythene bag or a cloth.
- Place the ice cubes on the affected areas and leave it for some time as much you can tolerate.
- This will provide instant relief from pain.
- Repeat this process several times in a day until the hemorrhoids are completely gone.
The cooling nature of ice will make the veins numb and you will not feel the pain in the swollen regions. It also reduces inflammation after several applications and hence is one of the best home remedies for piles.
2. Aloe Vera
One of the best natural ingredients is Aloe Vera. The properties of aloe Vera such as anti – inflammatory and therapeutic reduce the irritation caused due to Hemorrhoids.
- If you are suffering from external hemorrhoids, apply little of aloe Vera gel to your anus and slowly massage it. This will give certain relief from pain and also reduces the burning sensation.
- You can apply fresh Aloe Vera gel of the leaves or you can also buy Aloe gel from the market. Ensure that you do not rub the surface hard, just gently massage so that the gel gets absorbed in the affected region.
- In case to treat Internal hemorrhoids, cut the aloe Vera into strips by making sure to cut the thorn part of the plant.
- Place the slices in the refrigerator and then apply it over the painful area to reduce the pain. It soothes the affected area by providing a cooling sensation and immediately provides relief.
Regular usage of Aloe Vera will help to reduce piles to a great extent. Both the methods can be followed regularly and it is better to use fresh Aloe gel than the marketed ones.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice has various nutrients which give instant relief from pain by providing strength to capillaries and blood vessels. It can be applied as well as consumed to get relief from piles.
Process 1 –
- To apply on the affected areas, extract lemon juice and keep it in a vessel.
- Dip a cotton pad in this juice and apply it to the hemorrhoid area.
- Initially, there would be a little burning sensation which will be soon converted to a relief from pain and burning.
- This method is good for relief except that the person has to undergo the burning sensation initially due to the acidic nature of lemon.
Process 2 –
- Squeeze half lemon into hot water and drink it in an interval of three hours.
- You can see the results within a week.
- Mix one half teaspoon of lemon juice, ginger juice, mint juice and honey.
- Consume this mix once in a day for better results.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil has properties of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which is very useful for the treatment of hemorrhoids. This oil can be applied and consumed for effectiveness.
- Consume one teaspoon of olive oil daily to get relief.
- This reduces inflammation and the monounsaturated fats will improve the functionality of the excretory system.
- It is obvious that olive oil does not have a great taste and it is difficult to make it edible without any other ingredients. However, its medicinal properties are immense and it is ideal to get rid of piles naturally.
- Take plum leaves and crush it in a blender.
- Add a spoonful of olive oil to the plum leaves juice and mix it well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mix and apply it on the affected area.
- The mixture gives instant relief from swelling and pain.
5. Witch Hazel
The healing and mild astringent properties of witch hazel are very useful in case of hemorrhoids as it shrinks the blood vessel and reduces the pain as well as the burning sensation.
- Soak a fresh cotton pad in witch hazel solution and wipe it in the area of hemorrhoids.
- The process needs to be repeated thrice a day for better results.
In case you do not get witch hazel, Nowadays pads of witch hazel is also available in the medical stores and can be used as a good method to protect anus from irritation and microorganisms.
6. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is another great home remedy which provides relief from hemorrhoids. It eases the nerves and hence reduces swelling and promotes blood circulation.
- Take half cup Epsom salt and add it to a tub.
- Fill the tub with lukewarm water.
- Now soak yourself completely in this solution.
- Stay there for 20-30 minutes and then take a normal bath.
- Follow this bathing process 2-3 times in a week and within few weeks the piles problem would be gone.
It also provides instant relief from pain and is a good remedy for piles.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural medicine for piles and it reduces swelling and irritation. It acts like a moisturizer for the skin and is an ideal remedy to heal piles.
- Take 5-6 drops of coconut oil and massage it on the affected areas for few minutes.
- Let the oil get completely absorbed within the body.
- It keeps the skin soft and prevents any form of irritation in it.
- This process needs to be followed several times in a day to get relief from piles.
Does/Don’ts During Hemorrhoids
There are certain things which need to be followed and avoided when you are suffering from piles.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids. This will promote the bowel movements and also soften the stools. This, in turn, will result in relief from piles.
- It is important to focus on the clothes that you wear. As piles are painful, therefore you need to wear the right kind of clothes. Loose and comfortable clothes keep you at ease and allow the air to pass through the body.
- Include more of fiber rich diet. Diet plays an important role in any disease and the same holds good for hemorrhoids as well. Plenty of fiber in your diet will ease the bowel movement in the body and over a period of time your piles will be gone completely.
- Do not rub the affected areas with soap as it may make the area dry and worsen the condition. It may result in further irritation and itching.
- Avoid using perfumed wipes on the affected region. The internal areas of the body are very sensitive during piles and perfumed or chemical based products may further aggravate the condition.
- Maintain hygiene. Use separate towels and good natural products. Sanitation is extremely important when it comes to piles. Clean the toilets and bathrooms regularly with a disinfectant.
- Do not push yourself too much for bowel movements. It is important to listen to your body and not waste your energy in the toilets. You can always try again later rather than applying too much force for the motions.
Hemorrhoid is a condition which should not be neglected at all as the symptoms of it keep increasing day by day. In the initial stages these home remedies for piles will work and provide relief.
However, at times you may witness excessive bleeding from the affected areas, dizziness, nausea or even light headedness. In such cases it is better to check with a doctor and take medicines accordingly for faster healing.
Hope this article has helped you in gaining knowledge about piles. Please write in your valuable suggestion and feedback in the comments section below.