Very Effective Home Remedies For Dry Eyes!
Some Surprising Facts About Dry Eyes
- There are more chances of developing dry eyes during cold months as the wind during that season is dry too.
- Staring for long hours at computers, phones, Christmas trees, books, etc. also increases the risk of developing dry eyes.
- There are four different stages of dry eyes, that range from mild to severe ones.
- Fish oil supplements and Omega-3 can help in reducing the impact of dry eyes.
- Lid massage and warm compresses can help in reducing the impact and manage dry eyes in an effective way.
- Dry eye is a condition when the eyes are not able to produce tears, or when the tears evaporate quickly.
What Is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Are you having painful, itchy or red? Facing issues with clear visions? Are you also looking for home remedies for dry eyes?
Dry Eyes Syndrome, popular by the name dry eyes has become a widely observed issue these days. The situation is widely seen affecting the people who are not able to produce required tears, lack of lubrication, or people with the quick evaporation of tears. This condition can be painful and quite uncomfortable for the people to handle their daily schedules. The main cause of the syndrome can be both environmental as well as medical too.
What Are The Causes Of Dry Eye Syndrome?
It’s not necessary that your eyes remain wet when you are sad. Even while you are happy, your eyes still contain some moisture and are filled with tears. The tears provide lubrication to the eyes and help you peep comfortably. The tears are composed of oils, water, antibodies and mucus that help in keeping the eyes wet.
However, when the lack of required lubricant is observed in the eyes, it would result in dry eyes. Some other reasons that lead to dry eyes syndrome include too much exposure to air conditioners, the heaters, the natural process of aging, addiction to drugs, rheumatoid arthritis, vascular diseases, etc.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dry Eye?
- Burning sensation
- Increase in sensitivity
- Sticking of eyelids after sleep
- Blurred vision
- Vision problems while night driving
- Increase in the amount of mucus around the eyes
- Fatigued eyes
What Are The Home Remedies For Dry Eyes?
People generally go for medications for treating dry eye syndrome, but the fact is that there are a number of natural remedies for dry eyes. The remedies are quite simple and include the use of ingredients that are easy to find in the kitchen or at home.
Here are the possible ways to treat dry eye syndrome naturally.
One of the answers to what are the symptoms of dry eye includes dehydration. When lack of water is observed in the body, it has an impact on the metabolic activities. This can also cause dryness in the eyes. Hence, having nearly 8 to 10 glasses of water every day is advisable for avoiding or reducing the impact of dry eyes.
Cucumber also serves to be the best among the home remedies for dry eyes. It gives cool relief to the eyes when placed on the eyes. For this, the cucumber is chilled and sliced before using for reducing the dry sensation of the eyes.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil for dry eyes works as a well-balanced water retainer. It has proved to be the best way to treat dry eyes with merely a drop of the oil. The oil works magically for the people who are affected with meibomian gland dysfunction.
4. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil serves among the best natural remedies for dry eyes. It also provides with a soothing impact when used with a washcloth by dipping and keeping it on the eyes. For making the solution, it is mixed with water.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one among the simple home remedies for dry eyes. Whether used in the form of a gel or extracted in the form of liquid from the leaf, the Aloe Vera is used by applying on the eyelid. Regularly using Aloe Vera would also reduce other symptoms of dry eyes. The gel is also applied on the surface of the eyes.
6. Required Nutrients
Yes, along with other ingredients it is also important to take proper nutrients. Omega 3, Omega 6, and Vitamins for dry eyes are important for reducing the impact of dry eyes. For this, one must begin with fish oil, dried fruits, grains, walnuts, almonds, sesame, whole grains, grape seeds, etc. should be included in your diet.
7. Blinking Of Eyes Frequently
Blinking of eyes is also a great option while looking for home remedies for dry eyes. We generally blink fewer eyes while using digital devices, smartphones, computers, etc. which can result in dry eyes. Hence, make efforts in having complete blinks, washing your eyes, gently squeezing them, etc. for preventing them from drying.
8. Take A Break While Working On Computers
Constantly observing the screen while working on computers would surely damage the eyes. This brings a lot of stress on the eyes, making them dry. It is suggested to look away from the screen after 20 minutes. Look at something that is located at a distance of around 20 feet from your vision. This therapy would protect your eyes from getting dry and painful.
9. Wash Out The Makeup Clearly
Yes, cleaning off makeup properly from your eyes is also one of the answers to how to treat dry eyes. Using eyeliners or any other makeup for the eyes would clog the meibomian glands’ opening which can result in meibomian gland dysfunction. So, if you use any kind of makeup on or inside the eyelids and lashes, wipe off it clearly to protect your eyes.
10. Wash The Eyelids Before Bedtime
Build up a habit of washing your face before you move to bed at night. At that time, along with the face, wash the eyelids, as this would help in removing the bacteria there that can lead to serious conditions like blepharitis which further gets converted to dry eye syndrome. For this, you can also use a warm washcloth that is moist on closed lids for some minutes. Gently cleaning the eyelids with mild baby shampoo, or another similar cleanser would also be effective.
There are many people following the above home remedies for dry eyes for protecting their eyes from dry eye syndrome. Apart from all these, using cold milk rose water, etc. is also helpful in protecting the eyes. While walking out in summers, using quality sunglasses that would protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays is also important. Make sure your eyes are covered from all the sides while choosing the sunglasses.
What Are The Things That Need To Be Avoided To Protect Your Eyes From Dry Eye Syndrome?
While you are working on the natural remedies for dry eyes, there are few things that if looked after shall help you out. Even in the initial stage if few things are avoided, it would help in preventing the situation getting worse. The list of things that need to be avoided includes:
- Spend less time in watching television, working on computers, etc. Make sure you give your eyes rest in the mind of doing so that would protect them.
- If you are already facing the dry eye syndrome, avoid dry environments where the dry air would evaporate the moist or tears in your eyes giving you irritation.
- Keep a safe distance from hair dryers and smoke as it can lead to dangerous situations.
- Avoid sitting for long hours in air-conditioned places as it blocks the natural flow of the air and brings to you air that lacks moist.
- Limit your hours of working on computers, smartphones, etc. as staring continuously at the screens would bring too much stress on the eyes making them dry.
- Make sure you limit your intake of coffee in a day as it is diuretic that might lead to dehydration in the body, causing dry eyes.
- Avoid too much intake of acidic ingredients like vinegar, tomato, tamarind, etc. as they can result in dry eye syndrome.
- No doubt smoking is not directly connected with dry eyes, still, the smoke can cause you dry eyes as smoking has resulted into various vision problems like cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, dry eyes, etc.
- If using heaters and other humidifiers at home, limit the usage as it can lead to dry eye syndrome.
- Avoid the use of facial creams during bedtime as the harmful chemicals it contains may harm the eyes making it dry.
- Avoid using eye drops that contain high levels of preservatives in it as it would vanish the moist in the eyes making it dry.
Hence, with the help of the above home remedies and precautions list for the eyes, one can surely protect their eyes from getting affected by the dry eye syndrome. Using the ingredients even though you are not suffering from the syndrome would help you in taking good care of the eyes.
Read more – 10 Effective Home Remedies For Eye Inflammation!