Let’s Learn How to Make Rose Water at Home!
We all love the fragrance of rose water. How to make rose water is always a complicated question. There are immense benefits of rose water for face, skin and hair. It is unique and has versatile applications. It adds freshness to the face, acts like a toner and can be used as a hairspray as well.
On the other hand, due to its fragrance, it can also be added to drinks like Lassi, lemonade etc which makes it even more refreshing. It is also used for aroma in some of the Indian dishes like biriyani.
What is Rose Water?
Well, rose water is nothing but a liquid which is distilled using rose and water. It is perfect for skin hydration and its fragrance last longer.
Benefits of Rose Water
Do you know why rose water is present in every Indian household and is being used as a beauty product? Well, it has several benefits and is considered to be a natural, easily available liquid. Let us have a look at the key benefits of rose water.
1. Beauty Product for Skin
Rose water is widely known for its effectiveness on the face and skin.
- As a beauty product, it maintains the pH levels in the skin.
- It controls the secretion of excess oil and hence is excellent for oily skin.
- It gives your skin a refreshing look and keeps the skin hydrated all throughout the day. It is, therefore, an excellent skin toner and moisturizer.
- It is very effective in preventing fine lines and wrinkles on the face and therefore helps against aging.
- It is useful to clean clogged pores and also prevents redness of the skin.
2. Treatment of Hair
Rose water is not only useful for the skin but also very effective for hair.
- Rose water is very effective if your scalp emits odour. Add few drops of rose water and rinse your head and hair with the same to prevent odour and get a soothing smell.
- It is also useful to prevent dandruff.
- It acts as a natural conditioner for the hair.
- As it has moisturizing and hydrating properties, it keeps your hair smooth and also improves the texture of the hair.
- Rosewater is known for its anti-inflammatory properties; hence it is useful for any mild inflammation in the scalp.
3. Other Benefits of Rose Water
- As it is anti-inflammatory in nature, therefore it provides a soothing effect on skin diseases like eczema and dermatitis.
- As it has anti-bacterial properties, hence it can be used on mild scars, cuts etc.
- It also helps in the regeneration of tissues in the body and repairs damaged cells.
Now having discussed all the key benefits of rose water, it is essential to know how to make rose water at home.
Choosing The Petals
Before preparing the rose water at home, it is equally important to choose the right petals for fragrance and effectiveness. There are thousands of varieties of rose flowers available in the market. It is important to select the full blossom rose flowers in the morning with good fragrance.
If you have roses growing in your garden, then pluck several fresh petals which have a nice fragrance and are fully blossomed. It will make the ideal rose water. Always try to select organic flowers which are free of pesticides.
In case you do not find any fresh petals, you can also opt for dried petals which are readily available in flower shops.
Here we bring to you how to make rose water easily at home.
How to Make Rose Water At Home?
- Fresh/Dried rose petals
- Dark bottle
- Take 1/2 cup of fresh rose petals ¼ cup of dried rose petals and add it to the vessel.
- In a vessel, add one and a half cups of water and boil it.
- Once, you see that the water has come to boiling point, reduce the flame and allow the petals to simmer in the water.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes or till the petal colour decolorizes completely.
- Allow the liquid to cool down.
- Take the dark colour bottle; place the funnel in the mouth of the bottle.
- Take clean cheesecloth and adjust it to completely cover the funnel from inside.
- Slowly pour the liquid into the funnel.
- The rose water liquid will be distilled in the bottle leaving behind the petals in the cloth.
- Store the rose water in the airtight bottle in a refrigerator.
Your DIY rosewater is ready to use. This method of preparing rose water at home is known as the simmering method and is a convenient method of getting natural rose water. Use it as and when required.
How to Use Rose Water?
We now know about the benefits of rose water and how to make rose water at home. However, it is equally important to know how to use rose water for different purposes.
1. Rose Water as a Toner
Rose water is a natural facial toner and is better than any chemical toner available in the market. Regular usage will give you a beautiful rosy skin.
- Take few drops of chilled rose water in a cotton ball.
- Apply all over face and neck.
- Leave it for some time and wash off with normal water to get a fresh skin.
The same method also removes dust and dirt effectively and unblocks clogged pores.
2. Rose Water for Sunburns
Rose water is equally good when it comes to sunburns. It has a very soothing effect on the burns and helps to calm down the sunburns on the skin.
- Take few Tulsi leaves and add it to rose water.
- Store the mix in a refrigerator.
- In the case of sunburns, apply this liquid on the affected areas.
It has a very soothing effect on the skin and also provides coolness.
Let us find out 6 common myths about sunscreen are exposed…
3. Rose Water as a Cleanser
Rose water acts a natural cleanser. When mixed with other ingredients it is very effective to cleanse the face and skin effectively.
- Add equal quantity of glycerine and rose oil to a cup of rose water.
- Soak a cotton ball in this liquid and apply it on the face and neck.
- Allow it to stay for some time and wipe off with rose water.
- Wash the face with normal water to get a clean and hydrated skin.
4. Rose Water in Face Pack
Rose water acts as a great diluting agent in the face pack. If you are using a moisturizing cream for face or a lotion for the body add few drops of rose water and apply to get a hydrated skin. Also, use rose water in various face packs to get a refreshed and flawless face.
Are you looking for homemade face masks recipes for skin problems? Here are 3 awesome homemade rose face masks for Glowing Skin.
It is a common thing that rose water can be easily purchased from the market. However, preparing rosewater at home and using it regularly has a significant difference on the skin. Learn how to make rose water in your home and see visible changes in the skin tone. It is always advisable to select Red or Deep pink colour petals for effectiveness.
Hope you have found this article useful. In the case of feedback or suggestion, please feel free to share the same in the comments section below.