Shingles are itchy painful blisters on the skin. It is caused by a virus and develops rashes on the body. Usually it lasts for 3-5 weeks and causes itching and pain in the affected areas. It is recommended to consult a doctor for shingles but there are some home remedies for shingles which if followed regularly can help to get rid of it which are discussed below.
Home Remedies for Shingles
1. Epsom Salt and Baking Powder
- Epsom salt
- Baking powder
- Take 4 tablespoons of Epsom salt and baking powder and add it to your bathtub.
- Wait till the mix dissolves completely.
- Now soak yourself in the bathing tub for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat this process once every day till the blisters subside and the pain goes off.
It will help in reducing the inflammation and red rashes on the skin. The Epsom salt is good for skin rashes and within a few days, you will see a substantial reduction in the shingles.
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric.
- Add water and milk to it to form a smooth paste and apply it on the affected parts.
- Let it dry completely and then rinse off with cold water.
- Regularly repeat this process to get relief from shingles.
Turmeric is well known for its antiseptic properties. Milk soothes the affected parts and turmeric works well on the inflammation and red rashes.
Regular usage of this mix will reduce shingles to a great extent within few weeks.
- Prepare a cabbage poultice out of cabbage leaves.
- Boil water in a container and add cabbage leaves to it.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Then smash the cabbage leaves and place it on a clean cotton cloth.
- Apply this hot poultice on the affected area at least 2 times in a day.
This will reduce the inflammation and will provide relief from pain. Hot cabbage poultice is one of the excellent home remedies for shingles.
It is better to initially apply 2 times in a day; slowly you can reduce the application. It will gradually reduce the inflammation and the redness of the skin.
4. Cayenne Pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Take 3-4 cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Blend the mix in a blender to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and keep it for 25 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a week for best results.
This will provide relief from the pain and help in reducing blisters. It reduces inflammation and redness to a great extent.
Cayenne pepper reduces swelling and yogurt soothes the shingles effectively.
- Take a cotton ball and spread honey on top of it.
- Now dab the honey on the affected areas.
- Keep it for one hour and rinse with normal water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a day.
Honey is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, therefore it will reduce inflammation. It works well on the lesions caused by shingles.
6. Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera
- Extract fresh Aloe Vera gel from 2 leaves and mix yogurt with it to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Follow the method several times in a day for effectiveness.
It will soothe the blisters and provide cooling sensation thereby preventing itching and irritation.
7. Coconut Oil
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in the coconut oil.
- Dab the oil on the affected areas and leave it.
- In between keep applying the oil all throughout the day.
- Add camphor powder to the coconut oil.
- Gently apply it on the blisters.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times in a week till the symptoms of shingles are completely gone.
Coconut oil is very effective home remedies for shingles. These blisters usually cause irritation, itching and are very painful.
Coconut oil along with camphor will provide coolness and reduce the inflammation.
8. Indian Lilac
- Indian Lilac
- Boil water in a container.
- Pluck few of the Indian lilac leaves and add these leaves to it.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and apply it on the affected areas 3-4 times in a day.
- Indian lilac leaves
- Pluck the Indian lilac leaves and grind some leaves along with turmeric to form a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the blisters.
- Leave it to dry and wash off with normal water.
- Repeat 1-2 times in a day for effectiveness.
This remedy is excellent for shingles and should be followed regularly.
Indian Lilac is known for its antiseptic property and along with turmeric; it helps to cure the blisters completely.
- Take 3-4 cloves of garlic and peel the outer skin.
- Now crush the garlic cloves and apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Leave it for 15-30 minutes and wash off with cold water.
- Repeat this process once a day to get rid of shingles.
Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce lesions however it may cause burning sensation, therefore, it is better to rinse off with cold water.
10. Mint Leaves
- Take few mint leaves and crush it properly.
- Apply the crushed leaves on the affected areas or blend some mint leaves and apply the paste on the blisters.
- Leave it for half an hour and wash it off with normal water.
- Repeat this process at least once to get relief from the burning sensation.
Mint leaves are a natural coolant and excellent home remedies for shingles. It prevents itching and irritation. Regular usage will also cure the shingles over a period of time.
Shingles are reddish inflammation which can be cured with this effective home remedy. Do not touch the affected areas continuously and wash your face several times in a day to prevent the spreading of infection. In case, you see that the redness increases or the bumps are erupting continuously then it is better to check with a doctor. Hope you found these home remedies for shingles useful. In case of any feedback or suggestion, please feel free to share the same in the comments section below.