Bloating is a common health problem these days. Almost 1 in every 2 person suffers from this problem. Bloating results in protrusion of the stomach and makes you feel extremely uncomfortable. It is further accompanied by pain in the abdominal area and patient feels tight and full in the abdomen region. Sometimes it may also cause shortness of breath which is a severe condition. The pain caused by bloating can change its location very quickly and can occur anywhere. Sometimes the pain on the right side is often confused with that of appendix. It may result in gas and you may feel pain in the chest and stomach. Are you aware of the reasons behind bloating and home remedies for bloating?
One of the major reasons as to why majority of the people are suffering from bloating is mostly attributed to the food habits, stress levels and the improper lifestyle that we lead. At the initial stages it is curable, however if bloating and gas occur consistently it may lead to digestive disorders, low immunity and in worst cases allergy and even cancer.
Causes of Bloating
There are many reasons which could lead to this problem inside the person’s abdomen. Some of the causes are listed below:
- Improper diet
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Reflux and
Bloating and gas can be considered as a sign that the food consumed has not been digested correctly by the body. Sometimes inadequate amount of water may also result in the improper digestion because water provides all necessary minerals and ingredients required by the body to digest the consumed food.
Bloating should not be neglected and must be treated as soon as possible to prevent further health complications. Here we discuss some easy home remedies for bloating.
You will love to try organic home remedies for acidity…
Home Remedies For Bloating
Below are some of the natural and home remedies for bloating.
1. Peppermint Tea To Prevent Bloating
Peppermint is considered great for churning stomachs and easing gas pain. Peppermint tea bags are easily available in the market. All you need to do is just dip and drink.
- Take one peppermint tea bag and dip it in a cup of hot water.
- Let the tea bag steep for few minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and sip the tea to get rid of bloating.
- You can have 2 cups of peppermint tea in a day to prevent bloating.
2. Ginger For Bloating
Ginger is composed of several different chemical components which makes it one of best Ayurvedic medicine. It is useful for any stomach related ailments.
- Take a fresh ginger piece and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the pieces to boiling water.
- Allow the mix to boil for at least 10-15 minutes till the solution turns brownish in colour.
- Strain the solution and sip on the Ginger tea.
- You can also use ginger roots in your tea.
- It is extremely beneficial to release gas from the body and prevent bloating.
3. Pumpkin To Reduce Bloating
Pumpkin is a rich source of anti-oxidant and is very useful to reduce bloating in the abdomen. It is one of the best vegetables to eat while you are suffering from bloating and abdominal pain.
Add pumpkin to your daily diet. It is better to consume it in cooked form as it aids digestion and eliminates the excess gas from the body.
4. Lemon Water
Lemon contains HCL (hydrochloric acid) which is required by our body to break down the food. Our body has natural hydrochloric acid which secrets to aid in digestion.
However, during gas and bloating, the acid secretion is less and hence unable to digest the food which results in bloating. Lemon does that job and the food is digested easily.
- Cut one lemon into two halves and squeeze the fresh lemon juice into a glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution twice in a day to get rid of bloating easily.
Lemon water also helps the liver to eliminate toxic substances from the body and you feel at ease.
5. Black Salt
Black salt has been found to be very useful in bloating. It tastes good and releases gas from the body.
Black salt can be consumed both in the powdered form and in the form of a solution.
- Take half teaspoon of black salt and add it to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Squeeze lemon juice in the mix and drink this solution 2-3 times in a day to get relief from bloating.
- Take half teaspoon of dry ginger powder.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder and black salt to it.
- Consume this mix followed by a glass of lukewarm water.
- You will get relief immediately.
6. Home Remedies For Bloating – Cloves
Cloves have antifungal and anti-bloating properties which will provide respite from the abdominal pain and bloating instantly.
- Take 3-4 cloves and soak it in water for an hour.
- Use a mortar and pestle to make a clove paste.
- Take a teaspoon of this paste and mix it with lukewarm water.
- Drink this solution 3 times in a day to get relief from bloating.
You can use clove oil as well for relief.
- Add 3-4 drops of clove oil to a glass of warm water and drink it thrice in a day for relief.
Cloves help to soothe the intestinal and stomach walls, thereby prevents bloating. You can also use eucalyptus oil as an alternative.
7. Green Tea
Green tea is very high on anti-oxidants which help to release gas from the body and prevent bloating. Therefore, drinking 2 cups of green tea everyday helps to get rid of bloating.
How To Prepare Green Tea?
- Boil water in a container and add green tea leaves to it.
- Let it simmer fro few minutes, strain the liquid and consume the hot tea.
- You can also use green tea dips which are easily available in the market.
- All you need to keep in mind is to allow the green tea bags steep in the hot water for 2-3 minutes.
8. Betel Leaf
Although it sounds a bit weird, betel leaves are actually very good to improve digestion and thereby is an easy method to get rid of bloating instantly.
How To Use The Betel Leaves?
- Take a betel leaf and wash it properly.
- Take some fennel seeds, cloves and peppermint.
- Place all of them inside the betel leaf and fold it.
- Chew the leaf slowly to extract the juice from it and then spit out the leaf.
This process is excellent for digestion and fennel seeds, cloves and peppermint help to reduce the bloating.
In case nothing is available you can just chew the plain betel relief which will also be useful to prevent bloating.
9. Turmeric Excellent Remedy To Treat Bloating
Turmeric has several medicinal properties and is really good to release gas from the body.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of hot water.
- Allow it to steep for some time.
- Slowly consume this solution to get rid of bloating and gas.
- You can drink this solution several times in a day.
Add turmeric to your daily diet to prevent bloating.
10. Mint Leaves– Home Remedies For Bloating
Mint leaves are excellent for bloating. It has both cooling and soothing properties and is excellent for the stomach and intestinal walls.
You can consume mint as a drink or a tea.
How To Prepare Mint Tea?
- Mint leaves
- To prepare mint tea, it is preferable to use dried mint leaves.
- Take water in a container and let it come to the boiling point.
- Add the dried mint leaves to the boiling water and let it simmer for some time.
- Cover the container with a lid for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add few drops of honey to it.
- Drink the solution at least twice in a day for effectiveness.
11. Chew Food Thoroughly
The primary reason behind bloating and gas is the food which doesn’t get digested easily. Therefore chewing the food properly is very important.
You should consume your food slowly and chew it thoroughly before swallowing. This facilitates proper digestion and you will never suffer from bloating.
Dos and Don’ts of Bloating
- Eat plenty of food which is rich in magnesium and potassium like leafy vegetables, bananas, mushroom and mangoes.
- Exercise regularly and drink plenty of water to remove the harmful impurities and toxins present in the body.
- Do not smoke and consume alcohol.
- Eat frequently but in less quantity. Small meals help to reduce bloating to a great extent as the body can digest the food easily.
- Avoid foods rich in carbohydrates and salt as it may lead to excess water retention in the body.
- It is ideal to go for early morning walks and also walk after 1 hour of having meals. Avoid sleeping immediately after having food as it can lead to bloating.
- Avoid any form of fast food or junk food if you are suffering from bloating and unease in your stomach and chest.
- Say a big NO to caffeinated and dairy products.
Bloating is not a major health issue; however, you should pay immediate attention to it as it may lead to further complication.
Eating the right diet at the right time is one of the best home remedies for bloating. Also, you need to choose your food wisely and opt for fresh fruits and vegetables rather than the canned ones.
You can try the above-mentioned home remedies for bloating, however, in the case of acute bloating, pain and uneasiness, it is always better to consult a doctor and take medicines accordingly.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case, of any feedback or suggestion, please feel free to share the same in the comments section below.