If you are reading this, then it is sure that you are experiencing the unpleasant, uncomfortable feeling of wanting to vomit! You wish to get rid of that ‘disagreeable’ sensation and are in search of home remedies for nausea.
There are numerous medications available to control nausea, but there are also many safe and simple ways to bring down the symptoms. This article is going to bring to you some of the best home remedies for nausea and vomiting. We will also learn the symptoms and causes of nausea along with home remedies for pregnancy nausea.
Nausea – A Look At What It Is?
Believe it….Nausea is actually body’s protective mechanism and its aim is to get rid of unwanted toxins which have entered inside. It starts with a feeling that wants you to vomit and bring out all the contents of the stomach out forcefully through the mouth.
Nausea is not a disease per se, but a symptom which could arise out of many causes. Nausea may not always end up in vomiting; it could be a lingering sensation in your stomach, specifically your upper abdomen.
There are many home remedies for nausea which can help in dealing with the symptoms and in some cases, the causes of nausea.
Symptoms of Nausea
The symptoms of nausea can differ depending on the cause of the condition. Some of the commonly recurring symptoms are:
- A cold sweat breaks out.
- Face becomes pale
- Heart rate increases
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling the need to vomit.
Causes of Nausea
Like we said earlier, Nausea is not a disease. It is a symptom which indicates the existence of something not acceptable to the body mechanism. The causes could be either emotional or related to physical.
Let us see some of the most common causes of nausea:
- Motion sickness.
- Morning sickness due to pregnancy.
- Medical treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiation.
- Food poisoning.
- Psychological-Emotional stress.
- Drugs side-effects.
- Ingestion of toxins.
- Brain injury or tumor
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Migraine headaches
Home Remedies for Nausea and Vomiting
Whatever may be the cause, the good news is that there are many safe and cost-effective home remedies for nausea and vomiting. All the things mentioned below are easily available and completely harmless.
Ginger is considered as the best home remedy for nausea. It helps the digestive system and is a herbal remedy for most of the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
How to use?
- Slice ginger and suck on the pieces.
- Drink Ginger tea. Just add a piece of ginger to boiling water. Add honey once cooled and drink.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger juice with 1 teaspoon each of fresh lime, mint juice. Add a tablespoon of honey. Take this concoction 2-3 times a day.
Cloves have been used for reducing symptoms of nausea for a long time. Its aroma brings down the unpleasant feeling of nausea.
How to Use?
- Keep a clove handy and smell it whenever the feeling of nausea is overpowering.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of clove powder with 1 tablespoon of honey. Taking this 2-3 times a day helps in managing nausea.
- Drink Clove Tea. Add ½ spoon of clove powder to boiling water. Add honey once cooled and drink.
The wonderful aroma of mint in itself is a wonderful remedy for nausea. Intake of mint soothes the stomach and purifies it.
How to use?
- Simply sniff on mint leaves to keep nausea under control.
- Chew on two or three mint leaves.
- Drink Mint Tea. Add 15 mint leaves to boiling water. Add honey once cooled and drink.
- Mint Juice is a tasty remedy for nausea. Grind fresh mint leaves with water and strain. Add one tablespoon of honey and the ½ tablespoon of lemon. Drink chilled. Refreshing and keeps you hydrated.
Bananas are the best home remedy for nausea caused due to stomach disorders. It keeps acidity in control and replenishes the body with necessary nutrients that were lost due to dehydration.
How to use?
- Take a banana and cut into small pieces. Add some sugar and cardamom powder and mix well. Eating this twice a day gives enough nutrition and also helps in controlling nausea.
- Make a smoothie using banana and drink.
Ice provides immediate relief to nausea and helps control the urge to vomit. It is helpful mainly in nausea due to motion sickness.
How to use?
- Sucking a piece of ice also get nausea under control.
- Ice pops are the very good remedy for quick relief from nausea.
- Keeping an ice pack at the back of your neck helps in keeping nausea at bay.
Other Friendly Foods for Nausea
Apart from the above-mentioned home remedies for nausea, there are many other food items that should be included in the diet. These not only help in reducing the symptoms and causes of nausea but also keep your body replenished and avoid dehydration.
Lots of it! Keeping the body hydrated is very important. More dehydrated you are, the more nauseated you will feel. Alternatively, you can also have some sports drink fortified with minerals. Coconut Water is the best home remedy for nausea for keeping you hydrated. It has tons of minerals and natural glucose in it.
Powdered cinnamon work by interrupting nausea signals sent from the stomach to the brain.
Lemon & Lime-
It has high alkaline content and soothes the lining of your stomach.
Taken in moderate quantity helps in keeping nausea at bay. It has the capacity to control the tendency to vomit.
- Crackers, toast, breadsticks etc, help to settle the stomach as well as provide the required nutrient.
- It has tons of pro-biotic properties and will soothe your stomach.
It has super ability to control nausea. They are the very good home remedies for pregnancy nausea.
Foods to Avoid When Having Nausea
There are some kinds of food that should be definitely avoided when there are symptoms of nausea. Intake of these will only aggravate the cause of nausea.
- Greasy food
- Spicy Foods
- Carbonated drinks
Nausea and Pregnancy
It is a very common occurrence for the pregnant woman to get the symptoms of nausea during the first trimester. Some women experience this even for more months. It is not the same for all and cannot be compared.
If you are wondering why you feel nauseated, even though you are not ‘sick’, these are some of the possible reasons for the causes of nausea:
- Hormonal changes
- Your sense of smell and taste is extraordinary during pregnancy
- Sensitivity in your stomach
- Your body is not sufficiently hydrated
Home Remedies For Pregnancy Nausea
Pregnancy is not a disease and the causes of nausea cannot be treated in pregnancy. Hence the best way is to treat the symptoms of nausea and help control the urges to vomit. You can combat pregnancy nausea through simple home remedies for nausea and lifestyle changes, since medication may be harmful to your baby.
It is important to eat foods of high nutritional value during pregnancy. Carbohydrates provide energy to you and to your baby. Food such as bread, dry toast, crackers, pasta, helps in controlling nausea and ensure sufficient nutrition to your body.
Eating protein-packed food has proved to reduce morning sickness during pregnancy. It is one of the best home remedies for nausea. It helps to remove queasiness throughout the day and helps the baby grow healthy and strong. Eggs, Sprouts, Broccoli, Sweet potatoes, dairy products are some foods which have high protein content.
Various home remedies for nausea has been provided earlier under ‘Home Remedies for Nausea and Vomiting’. A balanced diet along with the remedies will help you in managing your morning sickness. Also equally important is making some slight changes to your lifestyle.
Lifestyle Changes for Managing Nausea
Making small changes in your habits, both physically and mentally, helps in managing your nausea. Along with eating habits, these changes will supplement the home remedies for nausea and vomiting.
- Take a walk every day. Fresh air helps.
- Eating small, frequent meals eases the digestion.
- Don’t lie down immediately after meals. Sit for at least an hour for the food to settle.
- Along with the home remedies for nausea, try alternative therapies like acupuncture, yoga etc.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing.
- Avoid strenuous activity after eating.
- If you know you get motion sickness, try to ride in the front seat of the car with the windows open.
- Take deep breaths whenever you get a wave of nausea.
Some Myths and Facts About Morning Sickness During Pregnancy
Nausea comes only in the morning.
In truth, the ‘morning sickness’ or nausea can happen anytime during the day. It is felt more in the morning since the stomach is empty.
If you are not having nausea, something is wrong.
Actually, you are among the lucky ones! There is no connection nausea and healthy pregnancy.
If you have nausea and vomiting, your baby gets fewer nutrients.
Your baby will still get all the required nutrients even if you are able to keep an only small amount of food down. However, if the vomiting persists and might lead to dehydration, it is advisable t consult your doctor.
Straining of the stomach during vomiting affects the baby.
No harm will come to your baby while vomiting. It is perfectly protected in its amniotic fluid sac and is happier than you!
You are imagining it!
It is very much real and you are not alone in this. It is related to the changes in your hormone levels and definitely scientific and not a fiction of your imagination.
You are having a girl if you have excessive morning sickness!
Though it is a fact that girl baby has higher HCG levels that of babies, it cannot be presumed by the level of morning sickness. You could have the worst case of nausea and still be a boy. The symptoms of nausea could be due to factors other than hormone levels.
There is nothing you can do about morning sickness.
This article proves this myth wrong. There are various home remedies for pregnancy nausea. Along with slight lifestyle changes, you can overcome the causes of nausea.
I think now we have enough information to fight nausea heads on and get relieved of the unpleasant feeling! Make the best use of the home remedies for nausea and vomiting and control those uncomfortable urges. All it takes is some care and effort on our part!
Read more – Excellent Tips to Control Nausea!