Menstrual cramps are a monthly routine and are most unwelcome in any girl’s life. Although many have just mild cramps but there are thousands of women who experience severe menstrual cramps in the difficult days. Let’s discuss here some home remedies for menstrual cramps.
The cramps are mostly tremendous at 2 phases: First when a girl attends adolescence and second during menopause. The pain can be extremely acute and needs immediate attention especially during the first 4 years of the beginning of the menstrual cycle or last few years before menopause.
Causes Of Menstrual Cramps
Prostaglandin is a hormone which is present in the women. This hormone is responsible for the expansion and contraction of the uterus. It helps to flush the mucus present in the uterus during the menstrual cycle.
Therefore, the cramps depend on the amount of this hormone being released from the body. Although many women believe that delay in menstrual cycle causes severe pain but it is primarily the hormone prostaglandin which is responsible for it.
Let’s discuss some unimaginable secrets no one ever tells you about menopause!
How To Get Relief From Menstrual Cramps?
Although doctors prescribe tablets and even injection in the worst case, but they have several side effects as well. Therefore, it is better to opt for some home remedies for menstrual cramps which help to provide relief. Also, they do not have any side effects and is effective every month in case of cramps.
Effective Home Remedies For Menstrual Cramps
1. Raw Papaya
- Raw papaya is very effective to reduce the menstrual cramps as it controls the production of the hormone prostaglandin.
- Eat boiled raw papaya regularly all throughout the menstruation for relief as it is rich in essential vitamins and minerals. It also eases digestion and prevents constipation which most women face during menstruation.
- As a caution do not opt for ripe papaya as it causes heat in the body and this may increase the flow.
2. Hot Milk
- Hot milk is very effective to reduce menstrual cramps.
- Drink a cup of hot milk slowly when you are in pain. It will subside gradually.
Ginger is considered to be one of the best herbal home remedies for menstrual cramps.
- Cut some ginger pieces and crush them properly.
- Add the crushed ginger pieces to a vessel of hot boiling water.
- Let the mix boil for some more time.
- Leave it for some more time for the solution to infuse.
- Strain the liquid and add few drops of honey or sugar depending on your choice.
- Consume this as a tea at least 3 times in a day post meals.
Get here some amazing facts about female body worth knowing!
4. Sesame Seeds
The tiny seeds are often considered to be one of the best home remedies for menstrual cramps. They are easily available and do not have any side effects.
- Soak a tablespoon of sesame seeds in water and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, divide the soaked seeds into 3 equal parts.
- Consume the seeds 3 times in a day at regular interval to get rid of the pain.
Also, you can eat these seeds directly. It is advisable to frequently consume the sesame seeds one week prior to the menstrual cycle. This will help to ease the difficult days ahead.
5. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties and hence are very useful for the menstrual cramps.
- Take coriander seeds and soak it in water overnight.
- Next morning, boil the mix till the water level is reduced to half.
- Strain the liquid and drink the solution twice in a day to get relief from the severe cramps.
Asafoetida or popularly known as Hing is one of the very useful home remedies for menstrual cramps.
- Add a pinch of Asafoetida to a tablespoon of honey and consume it when you experience severe pain.
- You can also take it along with butter which proves to be equally useful.
- Add Asafoetida to the cooked food for relief.
Nuts like walnut and almond are very useful home remedies for menstrual cramps. Nuts have a high content of Magnesium. Magnesium, in turn, promotes the absorption of calcium in the body which helps to reduce the menstrual cramps.
Consume these nuts religiously during the cycle to get rid of pain.
Basil has pain relieving properties and hence is very useful during the menstrual cycle. You can drink it in the form of a tea or juice, it will help either ways.
How To Prepare Basil Tea?
- Take few fresh basil leaves and add it to a container of water.
- Boil the mix for few minutes.
- Close the container with a lid while boiling the mix so that the solution infuses properly.
- Strain the liquid and drink it as and when you get periodic cramps.
- Crush a handful of basil leaves and extract the juice from it.
- Add this juice to a glass of water and drink it regularly to get rid of pain.
You can also chew some fresh basil leaves for effectiveness.
9. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds have the dual effect of not only reducing the cramps but also help the uterine muscles to relax. Therefore, fennel seeds are very effective and useful in the menstrual cycle.
- Soak fennel seeds in a container overnight.
- Next morning, simmer the mix on a stove for few minutes on a low flame.
- Leave it for some time for the mix to infuse.
- Strain the liquid and add few drops of honey to it for taste.
- Drink it 2-3 times in a day for effectiveness.
It is advisable to drink this solution a week ahead of the menstrual cycle as it will help you to have a smooth period and prevent any form of cramps etc.
Ideally, you can also consume the fennel seeds directly. Chew the seeds slowly to extract the juice from it. This will also benefit to get relief from the pain.
Cinnamon is rich in minerals like magnesium and iron. It has some dietary fibres as well which makes it extremely useful during menstrual cramps. It also soothes the uterine walls and makes you feel at ease.
- Take a teaspoon of Cinnamon powder and add it to a cup of warm water.
- Add few drops of honey to it and stir well.
- Drink the warm liquid several times in a day to get relief.
- Boil some cinnamon sticks in water for few minutes.
- Leave it for some time to infuse.
- Strain the liquid and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Drink this solution 2-3 times in a day for best results.
Don’t miss this helpful guide on missed or irregular periods!
Heat is one of the best ways to get immediate relief from the menstrual cramps.
- Take a towel and soak it in hot water.
- Squeeze the towel to drain the excess water from it.
- Place this hot towel in the lower abdomen and leave it till it cools down naturally.
- Repeat this process several times in a day for relief.
- Alternatively, you can also use a heating pad.
Heat usually helps to relax the muscles and hence prevents cramps. You can follow this process whenever you feel uncomfortable or in extreme pain.
Foods To Be Consumed During Menstrual Cycle
- It is very important to hydrate your body during the cycles. Hence drink lot of water and juice during those days. Also, your body needs rest during those days as your immunity is low.
- There are chances of constipation when you have periods. Therefore, add lot of dietary fibres to your food which keeps the digestive system functioning properly. Include spinach, sage and other green leafy vegetable in your diet.
- Magnesium and calcium are extremely important at that time. Therefore opt for dairy products like milk, cheese, tofu etc. Flaxseeds, nuts are also useful.
- Omega 3 is an important component in the body. Religiously consume fish like salmons, sardines, hemp seeds etc. which soothes the uterine walls and helps to reduce the pain.
Read on to know how to stop your period early!
Foods Not To Be Consumed During Menstrual Cycle
- Food like red meat, sweets should be avoided as it increases the production of the hormone prostaglandin in the body which is the major cause of menstrual cramps.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages like tea and coffee as it may aggravate the condition. It is a common belief that drinking hot liquids like tea and coffee helps to provide relief from pain. However it is mostly the other way round.
- Do not consume too much salt as you may retain water in the body. It is a big NO for women who are obese.
- Refrain eating junk and tinned food as it may cause bloating in the stomach making you feel even more uncomfortable.
Menstrual cycle is a difficult time in any women’s life. Moreover, it comes every month to make your days really difficult. Therefore, try our home remedies for menstrual cramps as it is safe and do not have any side effects. Always ask for help when you need so. Do not try to be super women and get yourself loaded with household and office chores. In case you are suffering from severe periodic cramps then it is always better to opt for diagnosis and consult a doctor.
Hope you have found this article useful. In case of any suggestion or feedback, please share the same in the comments section below.