What is Gastritis?
Everybody in their lives would have experienced symptoms of Gastritis some time. It is common stomach ailment seen in millions of people. It is basically a stomach disorder where the mucosa which protects the stomach lining from acids is compromised. This causes inflammation of the esophagus and the gut. The home remedies for gastritis given here will surely help you to get rid of it.
As you age, if you are overweight and have a lot of stress and eat highly processed foods, you will be easily prone to Gastritis. This is especially true in the case of food does not have the required nutrition. It is also seen in people with autoimmune diseases and infections. It could manifest as a mild or chronic attack.
A mild attack typically clears off within a few days but a chronic attack could last for years and result in ulcers.
Symptoms of Gastritis
Gastritis can show up with the symptoms mentioned below and in some cases, there might be no symptoms at all.
- Pain in the stomach area just above the stomach area around the meal time could be an indication of Gastritis.
- The bloating feeling you get in the stomach which kills appetite could be another common symptom associated with Gastritis.
- Feeling nausea and vomiting.
- Burping and taste of stomach acid coming up in your mouth just after your meal is another indication of Gastritis.
- Cramps in the stomach and burning sensation.
- Stools being dark in color.
What Could be The Causes For Gastritis?
Everyday issues could flare up and cause Gastritis. The major contributing factor is stress and food habits.
To be specific some of the causes are listed below.
- The most common cause is due to the presence of H.pylori bacteria being resident in the stomach lining. Normal people could have small numbers of H.pylori bacteria. But in people with lowered immunity and experiencing high-stress levels, these bacteria multiply and cause lesions in the stomach lining.
- Consumption of diet which does not have sufficient vitamin B12, manganese, calcium, selenium and zinc could also cause Gastritis.
- Going through chronic stress for long periods of time upsets the stomach equilibrium causing Gastritis.
- Heavy smokers, spicy food eaters and alcohol consumers are also prone to Gastritis.
- Some of the medications like painkillers could also cause Gastritis.
- The stomach lining is affected in people with Anemia thus hindering absorption of vitamin B12.
- People who are obese are also prone to Gastritis.
How Would You Grade The Intensity Of Gastritis?
There are 3 types of Gastritis.
1. Chronic Gastritis
This kind of Gastritis lasts long term and may not show any symptoms initially. The inflammation in the stomach lining may result in other side effects which may get visible much later on. This is due to the gradual depletion of the mucosa from the stomach lining.
2. Acute Gastritis
In this type of Gastritis, the symptoms may appear suddenly accompanied with acute pain. The pain may last temporarily. This could be due to a weak digestive system.
3. Atrophic Gastritis
In this scenario, the lining of the stomach gets replaced by fibrous tissues. Since the lining has changed profoundly the required nutrition cannot be easily absorbed within the abdomen. This can cause anemia and autoimmune diseases.
The mild form of Gastritis can be easily treated at home and the symptoms would disappear in a few days. Some of the home remedies for gastritis are listed below.
Home Remedies For Gastritis
1. Ginger Tea
Scrape 1 teaspoon of ginger. Keep a cup of water to boil and add the ginger to it. Keep the water down and keep it closed for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and add honey to it. You can consume this drink 2 to 3 times in a day.
2. Ajwain or Carom Seeds
Ajwain seeds have antacid property. Consuming ½ teaspoon of them helps in alleviating acidity issues. Taking it with a bit of salt provides a cure for digestive problems after food.
Curd is one of the effective home remedies for gastritis. Curds which has live culture is very effective in treatment of Gastritis. The probiotics in the curds helps in protecting the stomach lining. Consuming 2 to 3 cups of curds or yoghurt everyday is found to be effective for treatment of Gastritis.
Consuming fennel just after a meal helps in expelling gas and unwanted toxins from the body. It relaxes the stomach lining muscles too. You chew a spoonful of these seeds or have it as drink. To make a drink dissolve the fennel seeds in boiling water. After it cools down you can consume it.
5. Tender Coconut Water
Tender coconut water contains all the minerals and compounds which keep the digestive system healthy. It aids in removal of toxins from the body and maintaining normal body temperature. This in turn aids in proper digestive system functioning. It could be consumed several times in a day to get relief from Gastritis.