Oregano is the rare and uncommon herb hence very few people know about this herb. In this article, we will discuss the oregano benefits for overall health. These benefits will definitely encourage you, to use this magical herb.
Did You Know These Fun Facts About Oregano?
- Oregano means “Joy of Mountains” in Greek.
- As per the Greeks, the cows, which grazed on oregano, tasted very nice.
- During the bloom, the plant has pink or purple flowers, which are also edible.
- As per ancient Greek mythology, smearing oneself with oregano will make you dream about the future spouse.
- Crushing the dried oregano in the palm releases the essential oils, which can be used for cooking.
- It makes the dishes taste awesome and can be added to omelettes, pasta, pizza, bread, potatoes, chicken, etc.
Oregano is a very popular herb, which is used by a lot of people for enhancing the taste of their dishes. The spice is not only used for flavouring the food, but also has various health benefits. In a nutshell, some of the oregano benefits include protection of the immunity, prevention of chronic diseases, improvement of digestion, detoxifying the body, strengthening the bones, improving the health of heart, and increasing the energy levels, and it even protects against diabetes.
History of Oregano
The scientific name of Oregano is Origannum Vulgare. In Greek, it means “Joy of mountains”. It is native to the Mediterranean region, Greece, Mexico and southwest Eurasia, and grows up to 2 feet. It has been used as an alternative medicine for many years in these places. It belongs to the same family of mint, and shares the same benefits that the herbal mint has. The flavour and aroma of the leaves increases when they are dried rather than when they are fresh, which is a completely unusual feature.
Every 100gm of Oregano contains:
- Fat – 4.3 gm
- Sodium – 25 mg
- Potassium – 1260 mg
- Carbohydrates – 69 gm
- Protein – 9 gm
- Vitamin A – 34 %
- Calcium – 159 %
- Vitamin C – 3%
- Vitamin B6 – 50%
- Iron – 204%
- Magnesium – 67%
Popularity of Oregano
Oregano has got a widespread popularity across the world, where it is being used for enhancing the taste and as herbal remedies or folk medicine. The oregano oil is in a completely concentrated form, which is used for treating various conditions. Due to the potency of this oil, it needs to be diluted. Most people use this flavourful herb in their soups, sauces, pasta, pizza, meat dishes, curry dishes, salads and vegetables. It makes even the dull and bland dishes quite interesting.
Oregano has such a pleasant and aromatic fragrance and flavour that it is quite appealing to the taste buds. It is used for a variety of purposes, and the oregano benefits range from treating respiratory tract disorders, menstrual cramps, to urinary tract disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, and also treats the skin conditions.
Oregano Benefits For Overall Health
Given below are some of the amazing Oregano benefits.
1. Improves The Immunity
The key ingredients of oregano are the thymol and rosmarinic acid. These are powerful antioxidants and are known to reduce the oxidative stress from the body. Also, these reduce the free radicals, which are the destructive by-products, causing cancer and other problems. So, sprinkling the meals with oregano can help in improving the immunity and keeps the body protected from dangerous diseases. Eating oregano more often, will ensure that you don’t fall sick often.
2. Anti-Bacterial Properties
The thymol and carvacrol present in oregano are responsible for the antibacterial properties. These protect the body from a variety of bacteria, which can affect the gut, the skin and various other parts. The stimulating agent of oregano is responsible for increasing the white blood cells production, and for speeding up the metabolism so that a person is able to recover faster from illnesses. It is the perfect way to get back to normal life.
3. Good For Digestion
Oregano is loaded with fiber, making it useful for the digestive system. It increases the amount of stool and stimulates the peristaltic motion. Fiber is also useful in maintaining the gut, and in increasing the intake of nutrients so that you get the best out of the food. So, sprinkle some oregano on your food so that your digestive process improves and your body remains fit and fine.
4. Oregano Benefits For Healthy Heart
Oregano contains omega 3 fatty acids, which improves the health of the heart. These also help in rebalancing the cholesterol level and reduces the inflammations in cardiovascular systems, so that a person can remain protected from strokes, heart attacks and atherosclerosis. Oregano also contains Vitamin K, which is known for promoting the cardiovascular health and is useful for keeping the Calcium out of arteries. It promotes improved blood clotting as well.
5. Detoxifying the Body
Oregano is enriched with so many nutrients, such as Calcium, Iron, Vitamin K, Manganese, along with fiber, and other organic compounds. All these nutrients make the herb useful for detoxifying the body. Oregano is also known to improve the functioning of liver, and speeding up the toxin elimination process. So, give your body a perfect detox with this natural herb.
6. Healthy Bones
Our bones start weakening with age, and they start breaking down. So, one should have more of minerals and vitamins during the younger days. For maintaining the health of the bones, one requires to have Calcium, Manganese and Iron, and Oregano is enriched with all of them. So, it is a great way to protect people from osteoporosis in the future. Keep your bones healthy with adding the healthy oregano.
7. Increase In The Energy Levels
As it improves the metabolism, due to the presence of Vitamin B and other organic components, the body feels energized and rejuvenated. It also improves the circulation of blood, with the Iron content that it has, and increases the levels of Haemoglobin. This helps in oxygenating the muscles and cells in the body, so that one is able to feel increased energy, vigour, vitality and strength.
8. Oregano Benefits As a Health Tonic
Dry oregano is rich in all the essential oils, like thymol, carvacrol, limonene, ocimene, pinene, etc. The leaves have antiseptic, carminative, diaphoretic and antispasmodic properties. These help in secretions of the gall bladder and in sweat production. It is also a good expectorant, so it can effectively treat colds, congestion, coughs, influenza, stomach upsets, indigestions, menstrual symptoms, etc. And, it also provides effective relief from muscle pains, acne, dandruff, toothache, bloating, headaches, earache, and fatigue. Other than that, it also soothes the body while sleeping.
9. Healthy For The Skin And Aging Process
Due to the presence of antioxidant properties, with a good amount of Vitamin A and C, oregano is quite useful in helping with the aging process and is also useful in treating various skin related problems, such as itches, irritated gums, acne, dandruff, skin infections, etc. It is also useful for treating pimples and acne, due to the antifungal, antioxidant and antiseptic properties. Due to this, it is widely used in making skin care medicines, such as skin toner, face wash and foot creams.
10. Brings The Cholesterol Down And Keeps The Anaemia At Bay
Due to the presence of dietary fiber, the oregano is able to control the cholesterol levels in the body. Keeping the cholesterol in control automatically helps in keeping the heart healthy. And, due to the presence of Iron, oregano is also able to fight with anaemic problems.
11. Menstrual Cramps And Menopause
Oregano is useful for providing relief from menstrual cramps and pains and tries to make the menstrual periods more regular. It also brings down the negative effects of menopause.
12. Protection Against Cancer
As per the studies, oregano has anticancer properties, which encourages the arrest of cell cycles. So, it tries to modulate the growth of breast cancer cells. It is believed to slow down the growth of cancer, and also helps in preventing it completely.
Oregano Various Uses and Benefits
1. Oregano Benefits For Skin
Due to our lifestyles and widespread pollution, our skin takes a heavy toll. And, even after applying expensive cosmetics, the skin tone doesn’t improve. But, now, you can make an organic face mask for your face at home, using oregano oil and other natural components, so that your skin remains soft, supple, and clear of pimples and acne.
- Take 1 tbsp of cucumber juice, and mix it with 3 drops of oregano oil and ¼ cup of Aloe Vera.
- Apply this on the affected areas, and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the face with cold water.
- You can also apply this mask on other affected areas.
2. Oregano Benefits For Hair
Oregano oil also useful in making hair care products, due to its therapeutic and medicinal properties. It is very effective for itchy scalp, hair loss and for getting rid of dandruff.
- Take any hair oil, such as coconut oil, almond oil, or olive oil, and mix 3 drops of oregano oil to it.
- After keeping the oil for 45 minutes, wash the hair using the medicated shampoo. This will be effective for hair that is color-treated too.
For detangling of hair, you can use the following process:
- Take a cup of water and add 2 tablespoons of dried oregano, with 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, and mix it well.
- On a low flame, warm this mixture for about 45 seconds.
- Allow it to cool, and the pour this into a spray bottle or an airtight container, and store it in refrigerator.
- Apply this mixture on the hair, after shampooing and conditioning the hair, and then comb the hair, after drying the hair with towel.
- Use it for 7 days and you will see a good improvement in the hair.
Oregano leaves and oil are also used in making men’s perfume and aftershave lotion.
3.Oregano For Cooking
- Oregano leaves blend really well with beans, mushrooms, artichokes, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, eggplant, chicken, lamb, fish, pasta, etc. You can use fresh oregano for cooking, after stripping the leaves from the stem, and then crushing them. This will help in releasing the essential oil. But, remember to go moderate with oregano leaves, as too much of it can make the food taste bitter.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of dried oregano powder with 2 tablespoon of chilli powder, and use this while preparing the dishes.
- Crushing the dried oregano leaves before adding them to meals, will enhance the flavour of the food.
- You can make a fantastic marinade with oregano leaves for lamb, beef and chicken. This will give a unique flavour to the dishes.
- To get the maximum flavor, add the oregano leaves when your cooking is almost over. Do not overcook oregano, otherwise, the taste will get lost.
- Spread some butter or cheese on the bread and sprinkle the oregano over it. It will taste awesome.
- It is a fantastic appetizer, so can be used in soups and salads. It will improve the appetite and is also good for digestion.
A Word Of Caution
Some people might have allergies to oregano and mint and might develop discomfort. Oregano oil might reduce the ability of the body to absorb Iron. Therefore, the one should take regular iron supplements, along with. Pregnant women should try to avoid oregano oil, as it might have some impact on the child. It would be better to consult the doctor before taking any new herb.
But, overall, there is no or very little allergic reaction related to oregano, and one can safely use them for all internal and external application purposes.
Although a rare and uncommon herb, there are numerous oregano benefits for health not known to many. Oregano is definitely the most amazing herb that is beneficial and can also make the dishes more interesting. So, go for it, and let it give you all those health benefits. Eating oregano will be a natural way to ward off diseases and to remain protected and healthy. Staying fit and healthy will improve your longevity too. Get yourself some dried oregano leaves, fresh leaves or get the oregano powder, depending upon what is easily available, and what your preference is. Give yourself and your family a good Oregano detox and boost. Bring home this wonderful herb today. Stay fit, healthy and stay happy!!