Saffron is a precious Indian spice which being slightly costlier than other ones has a plethora of therapeutic benefits at the same time. Generally referred as ‘Kesar’ in India, saffron is primarily available in the form of saffron threads, saffron tips and saffron powder in the supermarket. Proper selection of saffron is essential as there are chances that you might end up purchasing adulterated one. In this article, you will be able to reckon saffron uses and how to make the right selection of this spice. Moreover, you will also get know how to use saffron threads for preparing facial masks to improve the skin texture.
We have listed below saffron uses which you can go through to keep yourself up to date for gaining a wider knowledge on the benefits of saffron.
Using Saffron as a Health Booster
1. Builds a Strong Immune System
Saffron has several chemical components which are mainly found in plants that prevent certain diseases. It is said to be rich in minerals which include calcium, vitamins, proteins, etc., which are the necessary supplements for the body. Thus, saffron intake can build your immune system stronger and promote the overall well-being of the body when regularly added in the food that you eat.It even controls blood pressure and keeps a check on the heart diseases.
2. Saffron is Effective in Weight Loss
Out of the many saffron uses and benefits, utilizing it to lose weight is the most favourable one as weight problems are a common phenomenon among a majority of people. Incorporating saffron oil in your diet plan eventually controls your appetite as it contains a chemical called serotonin which counterattacks obesity. Nutritionists advise consuming saffron oil in your daily diet for getting the beneficial results. Saffron helps you to get back into the shape and can prevent several negative traits that accompany obesity.
3. Helps in Fighting Mental Stress
Most of the people suffer from poor mental health due to excess pressure from the work or personal relationships. And thus, to combat that you can make use of saffron on a regular basis. This spice is Aphrodisiac in nature and has the tendency to control depression, Alzheimer’s disease, and other mental issues as well.
4. Improves Metabolism
Digestion problems can be easily tackled by the intake of saffron as it has certain nutrients and chemical compounds which enhance the metabolism rate and improve digestion. It acts as an anticonvulsant thus keeping digestion problems at bay.
5. Controls Diabetes
Saffron is anti-hyperglycemic in nature which is useful in regulating the blood sugar levels in the body and for improving the glucose intake. People who have diabetes should be regular with the saffron intake as it helps in controlling it.
6. Helping in Curing Respiratory Ailments
Respiratory diseases can have severe effects on your health and for those who have problems such as Asthma, cough, whooping cough or loosen phlegm; saffron is the best remedy for curing all of them. Include a few threads of saffron daily in your diet until you start seeing favourable outcomes.
Skin Benefits of Using Saffron
1. Saffron Uses for Radiant Skin
Saffron, as we all know, is the best source of skin lightening benefits and can be used in the following ways as listed below.
- Make a mixture of a spoonful of sandalwood powder, 2-3 strands of saffron and milk.
- Now, apply this mixture on your face after washing it for once with water.
- Move your hands in circular motion and massage gently.
- Let the mixture dry for 20 minutes and rinse it off.
Make sure to apply this mask for at least once a week to get the satisfactory results.
2. How to Use Saffron Threads for Treating Acne?
Saffron contains antifungal substances which make it the best treatment for curing blemishes and acne. Here are the steps to prepare a mask.
- Make a fine paste of 5-6 basil leaves along with 10-13 strands of saffron
- Now, apply this pack on the face and wash it off with cold water after 10-15 minutes.
For removing blemishes, you can apply saffron soaked milk on your face every twice a day daily until you see favourable results.
3. Saffron Uses For Dull Skin Treatment
Dull skin can be treated by preparing a mask of lemon and saffron. For this you can follow the given steps.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice on a spoonful of saffron powder.
- People with dry skin and make use of a few drops of milk instead.
- Apply the mixture on your face, leave it off for 20 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water.
If you willing to use saffron for skin toning, then you can soak saffron strands in rosewater and then apply this solution on your skin after scrubbing.
Saffron Uses During Childbirth
Saffron uses during pregnancy can prove beneficial as it regulates the mood swings which are common during the pregnancy period. Another problem that women face is indigestion which can be controlled by drinking saffron milk. Here are some other benefits which can be availed.
- Hormonal imbalances lead to pimples and skin darkening which can be cured by regular dose of saffron.
- If women suffer hair fall during pregnancy, then they can use the paste of liquorice, milk, and saffron and apply it on the bald spots.
- Asthma, allergies, congestion are bound to happen during pregnancy and hence saffron can prove beneficial for such cases.
- Brushing the teeth during pregnancy might prove painful. And to cure that, you can grind the saffron strands and apply them on your gums to ease the pain and avoid bleeding.
- Saffron is rich in Iron which is essential for the production of red blood cells. Anaemic women can include this herb in their regular diet to boost the hemoglobin levels in the blood.
How to Select The Pure Saffron Herb?
Most of the people fail to understand the difference between pure and adulterated saffron and for that, we have listed a few tips for you. Go through them.
- Make sure the thread colour is dark red in colour and has orange tips with no traces of yellow.
- Avoid purchasing saffron with white spots and yellow stamens.
- Pure saffron stems are usually hard and brittle; ensure that you check this before buying it.
- More when it comes to buying saffron powder; you should check for the strong aroma which is quite sweet.
Hope you got an insight into the saffron uses and how to make a better choice while selecting this herb through this article. If you loved reading this article please share it on social media with your friends and don’t forget to leave your feedback in the comments section.
Have a nice day!